U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2009, 08:43 PM

452 posts, read 503,582 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Winter Park and a job in Daytona Beach. My wife has a job offer in Winter Park, and I do not want her to have to commute.

Is it realistic to think that I can commute from Winter Park to Daytona Beach? My hours would be M-F, 8:00 - 4:30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 08:54 PM

651 posts, read 1,149,608 times
I have a co-worker who basically does the opposite (westbound), he doesn't like the drive, and he has to leave extra early just to get to work by 7 AM to avoid rush .hour He's considering finding work closer to home. I don't know how it is eastbound (going your way), as far as traffic is concerned, why don't you just try the commute during those times before committing? You're pretty much constrained to taking I-4 eastbound then 95. That seems a heck of a long ways, with gas prices, wear and tear on your car, unless you have some hybrid or Smartcar, or some other econo-vehicle.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:36 AM

23,912 posts, read 31,979,350 times
It would be over an hour each way in rush hour traffic.

Maybe split the difference and look in the Lake Mary, Sanford, Debary area?

Old 05-27-2009, 07:19 AM

8,830 posts, read 14,692,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It would be over an hour each way in rush hour traffic.

Maybe split the difference and look in the Lake Mary, Sanford, Debary area?
Yeah, that's what I was going to say! I think that's too far to live in Winter Park and drive to Daytona everyday. Even from Lake Mary or Sanford, it will still be about 40 minutes each way. Debary is about 10-15 minutes closer to Daytona. I would call any of these about the midway point and the best options. Lake Mary/Sanford to WP is about 20 minutes, Debary, about 30 minutes. They are all nice places and good choices.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,768,407 times
I had a teacher in High school who commuted from the cocoa beach area to University High school, which is in the UCF/Waterford Lakes area, thats like an hour long commute there and back, pretty much like Winterpark to Daytona. My teacher seemed to have no problem with it, cept when there are brush fires in the forests that seperate orlando to the coasts, sometimes they have to shut down the roads, like I-4, 520, 528 etc.. which can be a hassel.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:02 AM

9 posts, read 18,756 times
I depends on what you think is an acceptable comute, but the posts above are correct. I will be close to 1hr trip each way. If this was a temporary comute it would be okay, but if not I would look somewhere in between. I think the Lake Mary suggestion is pretty good.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:29 PM

459 posts, read 905,533 times
First off, I-4 (to me) is one of the most dangerous roads in Florida because all these lost tourists are driving around. (Also, think of all the people worldwide who live in big cities and don't drive -- and get a free rental car included with their airline package to Orlando!) Add the rush hour factor, would make you a true masochist for pure motoring pleasure...Unless you own a helicopter, you'll probably end up shopping for straight-edged razor blades after a while!

Old 06-21-2009, 07:48 PM

747 posts, read 1,210,182 times
I would definitely find a more middle point like Debary or something.

I do think it is funny how people in cities like LA, Chicago, NYC, etc. have like 1.5-2 hour commutes and 1 hour is a big deal here. :-)

Old 06-21-2009, 08:39 PM

765 posts, read 1,749,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I would definitely find a more middle point like Debary or something.

I do think it is funny how people in cities like LA, Chicago, NYC, etc. have like 1.5-2 hour commutes and 1 hour is a big deal here. :-)
I think it's more the distance driven, in that hour, than time that make it a big deal here. In NYC during rush hour it can take an hour just to drive twenty miles; and let's not forget sitting 45 minutes to an hour just to get through the toll at the Lincoln Tunnel in traffic (even with E-Z Pass).

Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM

709 posts, read 1,204,069 times
Yikes WP to Daytona is going to get on your very very last nerve. You're talking the deadly dull stretch of I-4 between Deltona and Daytona, not to mention the congestion that is Winter Park, pretty much anywhere considering your commute. If you are lucky it will be an hour, but just to go from Lake Mary to Daytona is over 30 minutes with no traffic and a lead foot. The only positive is that you will be going somewhat against traffic patterns, especially for the morning commute. DeBary is lovely, as is Lake Mary. Those would not be bad commutes for your wife. If you have to do it, maybe make sure your car is good on gas and sign up for books on tape? And DON'T GET THE BORING THINKER BOOKS--you will fall asleep and drive into the jungle somewhere between Daytona and DeLand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando