Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 26,704 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,
After living in greater Kansas City for 12 years ; of which last 6 years in Olathe (ranked 11 on best places to live on CNN Money) we are thinking of moving to Oviedo.
I work virtual on IT field, and my wife a CVS Pharmacist; and assured me that she can transfer her job from here to Florida.
The reason for moving(if you wonder ); is it's lack of place to spend time on weekends.
I have researched a bit on Oviedo and like the good school district, low crime rate and affordable houses. The close proximity to beach and UCF is a plus.
Like to get your opinion on Oviedo; How is their public special Pre-K(my 3 year old son diagnosed with mild form of Autism) ?Is this move going to be better ??Please feel free to share your ideas.thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:52 PM

793 posts, read 2,524,163 times
When the market turns and commercial makes a comeback Oviedo is next on the hit list of areas to change, Seminole County has zoned the entire 417 corridor from the Sanford International Airport to the Seminole / Orange Counties boundary to promote growth. The possible outcome they are shooting for is the same appearance as I-4 through the Lake Mary area.
Other side of 417 is the Tuskawilla area of Winter Springs, nice older homes.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
You might be better off staying in Orange County. Princeton House Charter School is free, but gives priority to Orange County residents. They are specific to kids with a Dx of autism or the spectrum. They don't provide transportation, you'd have to pick up and drop off. There is no tuition, it's all paid for by the state.

In general the public schools in Florida aren't very good for special needs kids. Minimal OT, no behavior therapy, minimal para, and it's my understanding that they lump all special ed kids together in a self-contained room based on age--so visually impaired, autistic, LD, and ED are all dumped in together. Yeah, now that's a good way to allow those kids to learn. Not.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:45 AM

42 posts, read 285,663 times
Default Welcome fellow Kansan :)

I moved to Orlando from Olathe in April. I'm currently in the SE area of Orlando off Goldenrod. In a nice subdivision but overall not the area of town that we're going to stay in so I'm actively searching this forum for ideas. I'm in a similar situation as my son has Aspergers and some other alphabets and I've been trying to find more information on schools in the area as well.

The link below is a post that I responded to with some links and such to some Orange County info. Everyone keeps saying that Seminole county has the best schools but nobody seems to know whether that includes special needs kids or not.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...y-schools.html

I'm afraid I can't help you with Oviedo - I haven't been there yet (as far as I know anyway)

Good Luck - I'm subscribing to the thread and hopefully you'll get some good info!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
The other district that is supposed to have a great ESE program for autism and the spectrum is Lakeland. I know someobody with a son on the spectrum who moved there purposely for the schools.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:42 PM

115 posts, read 319,240 times
Hello!
Having lived in the UCF area for a couple of years...If I ever moved back to the Orlando area, it would hands down, no competition be Oviedo. I'm not overly fond of the Orlando area, but Oviedo is a bit of an escape from all the hussle.
Oviedo can get a bit pricier than the rest of Orlando. The mall is nothing special, but just drive 15 minutes and you get your choice of 3 really nice malls to choose from. There is actually a lot of things to do in town, if you are the type that can entertain yourself. Natural springs are an easy drive away, as well as parks, shopping, nature, and the beach is a 35 min drive away.
There is definately a college presence in town. Oviedo is a 3 minute drive from UCF campus, and as such, if you live too close by campus (very south Oviedo) you might get stuck next to a house/apartment that parties a lot. Just be careful and before purchasing a house, drive by on a Friday night just to check out the neighbors and their habits.
Also, because of it's proximity to Orlando and UCF, there is prob a bit more traffic there than you would picture. Work traffic hours are of course a bit of a drive, but also all throughout the morning/early afternoon hours you will run into a bit of traffic because of the random schedules of students.
I doubt you will run into much trouble finding jobs in your fields of work. However, if you have to travel to Orlando for work every day, just know that Orlando as a whole has a LOT of traffic problems. Leave earlier for work than you think you need to, and try to avoid having to take I-4 to work. It's a nightmare.
I agree that Oviedo has a good school district, and being close to Orlando will be good for your son and his medical needs. There is a good amount of entertainmetn activities, and has nice weather (if you like the heat as opposed to the cold).
The only thing I would change about Oviedo is how close it is to Orlando. Some of Orlando's problems spill into Oviedo simply by how close and accessible it is, however, if you can deal with a bit of traffic, and a LOT of humidity, I think you will find Oveido a lovely place to be!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You might be better off staying in Orange County. Princeton House Charter School is free, but gives priority to Orange County residents. They are specific to kids with a Dx of autism or the spectrum. They don't provide transportation, you'd have to pick up and drop off. There is no tuition, it's all paid for by the state.

In general the public schools in Florida aren't very good for special needs kids. Minimal OT, no behavior therapy, minimal para, and it's my understanding that they lump all special ed kids together in a self-contained room based on age--so visually impaired, autistic, LD, and ED are all dumped in together. Yeah, now that's a good way to allow those kids to learn. Not.
Exactly....my neighbor has a special needs child who is of age to have job coaching now (she is 21 and can only stay in school until 22...there is a 6 year wait for job coaching....ugh!) She was told by the person where she calls, that she tells folks moving from out of state with special needs children, if they have services in the state where they are, DON'T MOVE TO FLORIDA. There is a serious lack of services for kids here.

So, it really depends on how much your child needs in the way of additional services...just so you know! Catholic charities does not serve down here in the same way as other states either...it's different. So find out everything you need to ahead of time, but other than that...I live in Oviedo, and I really love it here!!!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:37 AM

11 posts, read 53,816 times
I
see that this is an old post & have probably already moved, but for anyone else, in the same boat, I am from Olathe, have a son w autism, new to FL, and can wholeheartedly advise to STAY in Olathe! There's nothing even close to the quality of Johnson county, in schools, or many other services, in FL! The ONLY perk here is the weather. The cost of living is much higher, quality much, much, much lower! Johnson county is one of the wealthiest counties in the country. The schools are among the best, special needs programs, in and out of
school among the best- give thanks and soak it up!!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 AM

37 posts, read 134,626 times
I currently live in Oviedo. I'm actually on the boards because I'm moving to Austin to be close to family. But I love it here. It's quiet, nice neighborhoods, fun community stuff and close enough to Orlando. Plus the schools are great. Crime rate is very low. To give an example the police called my cell to inform me I'd left my garage door up over night just a few days ago. The only downside in my opinion is the tolls. My hubby works on the other side of town and spends &8 a day in tolls just to work. Of course this will probably be the same for everyone in the area unless you live off I4, which has horrible traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando