Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,515,825 times

Advertisements

Without a job lined up what does it matter? I would think St. Louis would offer more in job opportunities than Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 04:23 PM

765 posts, read 2,628,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Without a job lined up what does it matter? I would think St. Louis would offer more in job opportunities than Orlando.
The best area to live in; in today's economy, would be the area where you can get a job. Orlando has really been hit hard by this recession (as have many other areas).

Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,810,962 times
I lived in Missouri, I've spent a lot of time in SL... and I still wonder if this question is for real. Are you kidding? SL nasty winters , horrid hot summers... There is no choice... Orlando all the way.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:37 PM

37 posts, read 98,497 times
i was born and raised in st. louis and now live in orlando. both cities have there pros and cons but i like orlando better. both cities have been hit by the economy. but ill say the decision depends on your personal taste

what is your profession? that plays alot as well

Old 07-08-2009, 05:40 PM

973 posts, read 2,221,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK37 View Post
I live in Springfield Missouri and I am lookin to move to either Orlando or St. Louis. I have family in Orlando, but I have family in St. Louis also and know even more people there. I am unemployed and I luv orlando weather (and the females down there) but St. Louis is closer, more familiar, and cheaper to live (and they got good females too). I really want to know which one got the better job opportunities though.
You're in the same boat as me. I've got family in St. Louis, but I'm already holding a great career in Orlando for the last few years. If I had the decision to make coming straight out of college (no current job/relationship holding me here), I'd pick St. Louis 95% of the time, but it depends on what's important to you.

You mention the girls. Yes, Orlando likely has a higher proportion of attractive girls, but the issue goes deeper than that. No offense to those great Florida girls who have their priorities in the right order, but I've found that very attractive girls from St. Louis (and the Midwest in general) are FAR less materialistic and much happier with their lives. Which city would I pick for frequency of random hookups? Orlando. Which city would I pick for the best chance for a relationship with an attractive, intelligent, and down to earth girl next door? Without a doubt, St. Louis.

Do you love St. Louis hot & humid summers? I'm not talking just a hot couple days, I'm talking about the 100% humidity and 95F degree weather for 8 months of the year. That's Orlando. Except it can rain on you at any moment from April through October, and it's virtually guaranteed you'll get wet at least once a day in that time frame. Orlando's beauty is the November through March months.. that's when it's usually 70-85 degrees and clear, sunny skies for weeks. I'd personally rather deal with 3-4 months of St. Louis winter and get 3 other great seasons along with it than deal with the Orlando rainy season.

Do you love St. Louis traffic? Heh, come try out I-4, 408, Colonial, Semoran, Alafaya, etc. during rush hour and you'll wonder how such a "tiny" town like Orlando (compared to St. Louis) can have so many cars blocking the road. Again, I'll take St. Louis for traffic and public transportation (of which Orlando has virtually none). Man, I miss the Metrolink..

Do you love sports? You won't hear a peep about local sports in Orlando unless the Magic make the playoffs or the Gators are in town to destroy UCF. There are distinct holes in the sports seasons here, unlike St. Louis, which has baseball, football, and hockey teams to cover the year. Also, good luck finding many local Orlando-themed bars here. So many people are from elsewhere, there aren't a large number of people pulling for the home team. (Yes, plenty of LeBron lovers pulling for the Cavs during the Magic home games here.) Compared to St. Louis, there is no local sports pride.

Jobs. This depends heavily on the field. Due to the size difference in the towns, you're more likely to find another job in St. Louis than Orlando in most fields. Hotel/travel/vacation and computer/tech jobs *might* be better in Orlando because there are so many jobs available and not as many qualified applicants already living here. My career (software engineering) and relationship are the only things keeping me from making a move to St. Louis.

All that said, Orlando's not a bad place to live. Tampa is the only place in Florida I'd choose to live over Orlando, mainly because I prefer Gulf beaches and it's a larger metro area. There's no perfect place to live, so perhaps you should try St. Louis for a year, then try Orlando if you're still not satisfied. A friend did that, and he ended up moving back to St. Louis, although he said it was a close call and still difficult due to each place having such different pro's and con's.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:53 AM

57 posts, read 124,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
You mention the girls. Yes, Orlando likely has a higher proportion of attractive girls, but the issue goes deeper than that. No offense to those great Florida girls who have their priorities in the right order, but I've found that very attractive girls from St. Louis (and the Midwest in general) are FAR less materialistic and much happier with their lives. Which city would I pick for frequency of random hookups? Orlando. Which city would I pick for the best chance for a relationship with an attractive, intelligent, and down to earth girl next door? Without a doubt, St. Louis
Dude, no way! I LOVE LATINA WOMEN!!! Can not wait to move out to Phoenix soon where the hispanic population is atleast 30 percent....nicceee!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: