Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:52 PM

206 posts, read 412,884 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how to fight it but it's a silly rule. While the blocking the sidewalk is important, street parking tends to make the road safer (with the exception of bicyclists who hug the right side of the road and risk getting hit by a car door, easily avoidable though) and is a natural traffic calmer. If it works in main thoroughfares then it would certainly help in a subdivision.

I guess it might just not be the "look" that they were marketing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM

3,972 posts, read 8,104,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Steve View Post
I'm not sure how to fight it but it's a silly rule. While the blocking the sidewalk is important, street parking tends to make the road safer (with the exception of bicyclists who hug the right side of the road and risk getting hit by a car door, easily avoidable though) and is a natural traffic calmer. If it works in main thoroughfares then it would certainly help in a subdivision.

I guess it might just not be the "look" that they were marketing?
Was at my sons in Kissimmee yesterday. They live out in Lindsfield and one of his roommates got a parking ticket for parking in the drive with only the bumper of his car over the sidewalk. Got the ticket at 3AM in the morning so wasn't in the way of children walking to the school bus or most people out taking strolls in the neighborhood..... He took pics and is going to fight it because the sidewalk was not blocked and you could easily stay on sidewalk without walking in grass or street. Guess one of the neighbors decided they do not like young singles with 3 cars living in a house on that street. There are always cars parked, blocking a lane in other areas of the street, but they try to keep all 3 cars off the road because they are on the curve. BTW they have all been working 6 or 7 days a week so not a partying group.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:27 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,016,253 times
Seems like a harsh mix of laws, but what road are we talking about? If you're making people walk into traffic, or blocking a lane that shouldn't be blocked, I can understand.

If not, might want to test the waters and see if the tickets come. If so, then that's just the situation you're in. Law is law.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:50 PM

92 posts, read 179,751 times
The law isn't harsh at all. The sidewalk is there to keep people from having to walk in the street. How would you like to be in a wheel chair and have to go out in the street because some selfish donkey blocked the sidewalk. You avoid getting tickets by doing the right thing not by bellyaching that parking tickets are harsh. Use COMMON SENSE.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,016,253 times
I was talking about the combination of no street parking and sidewalk blocking.

I think both are undesirable and rude, but if the person has six cars......I mean, what do you do?

(I'm glad I'm not their neighbors)

Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 PM

92 posts, read 179,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post

I think both are undesirable and rude, but if the person has six cars......I mean, what do you do?

I don't really know. But I don't think the City of Orlando forced them to have the 6 cars after they bought the property. Nor did anybody force anybody to buy the property knowing the parking situation. Someone might have to park in an area that is less convenient for them. I really don't know.

It sucks....but who is ultimately responsible for this situation? Try living in a downtown area in NYC or Boston with 6 cars. It has nothing to do with being "rude" ...it is what it is.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:40 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,807,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post

One thing I've noticed is that people use their garage for everything but their cars. Most of the homes in my neighborhood have three car garages yet all three cars are in the driveway (or on the street). We have four cars, three in the garage, one in the driveway, not blocking the sidewalk and not on the apron. Not rocket science.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 AM

511 posts, read 849,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s8film40 View Post
It depends on whether the sidewalk/roadway is publicly owned or private. If the sidewalk/roadway is privately owned like by a HOA or something as is the case with some of the communities in Florida then the law doesn't apply, otherwise sounds like your out of luck.
Yep the sidewalk is usually built within the utility easement owned by the county so NOT part of your property I.E. your driveway which actually ends at the sidewalk you don't even own the swale between the sidewalk and the road it's county property but usually not an issue like the sidewalk is....

Old 04-13-2012, 02:26 PM

334 posts, read 1,145,885 times
My usual strategy dealing with cars blocking a sidewalk if I'm on my bike is to ride around it through their grass. If there's some flowers and landscaping in the way, so be it. Of course around here folks usually widen their driveway with a parking pad if they have that many cars, or just park in the grass.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM

511 posts, read 849,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
When I lived in North Port my neighbors got a ticket for blocking the sidewalk. The rear bumper of the truck was about an inch over the sidewalk. Someone complained.
Probably the OP in a fit of vindictive vengeance ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando