Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 05:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

If all the illegals doing construction and landsccaping were deported, my guess is our u/e rate would drop by 5%. I know a lot of guys on u/e who would be happy to work in those fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 06:44 AM

819 posts, read 1,743,659 times
I know I would. I cant stand sitting home wishing for some work. feeling useless stinks.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:08 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry Rosie, when people run out of unemployment benefits they are no longer counted when reported on the news. That has been known for years to make the numbers look better.

When they fall off the UE rolls they are not counted.

So, the news uses a different number than the government?

I am not disputing the percentages being touted here, it's a tough economy , no doubt. But the methodology is scientific.

The fact is, they may be counted, IF they are actively seeking work and are able to work. Did you even look at the link I provided?

The fact may also be, they are not counted because they have given up even looking, and therefore are no longer actively seeking work.

So, just because they have dropped off the rolls does not mean, they are no longer being counted. That is ridiculous, and Koolaid from the media.

I have provided you with proof, evidence, facts.

Now, what is does not count, I am sure, are all those illegal aliens taking our American's jobs. I agree there......it's just not right.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:33 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Well if someone is no longer collecting unemployment unless they notify the govt. that they a got a job, how would they still be counted?

Think about it, once someone's unemployment runs out there is no follow up, they are "in the wind"so to speak, no one calls them or asks them to report and see if they are still not working.

There is no follow up.

Why do you think they always announce the number of new claims as a benchmark as to how the economy is doing? If the claims go down then it seem like things are turning around. It is all based on the number of active claims.

And I know from being laid off several years ago myself, when your benefits stop there is no further contact from unemployment. They don't ask you to let us know when you are working so we can adjust the numbers.

Once you are done receiving benefits you are no longer counted.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:35 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well if someone is no longer collecting unemployment unless they notify the govt. that they a got a job, how would they still be counted?

Think about it, once someone's unemployment runs out there is no follow up, they are "in the wind"so to speak, no one calls them or asks them to report and see if they are still not working.

There is no follow up.

Why do you think they always announce the number of new claims as a benchmark as to how the economy is doing? If the claims go down then it seem like things are turning around. It is all based on the number of active claims.

And I know from being laid off several years ago myself, when your benefits stop there is no further contact from unemployment. They don't ask you to let us know when you are working so we can adjust the numbers.

Once you are done receiving benefits you are no longer counted.
The number of new claims as a benchmark is exactly that...a BENCHMARK...not an exact number...not the current employment or unemployment numbers....

And, just because you didn't happen to get a call, doesn't mean there is no follow up. So because you didn't want to look at the link, I will give it to you here. from the site, here is how it is sampled..

"Because unemployment insurance records relate only to persons who have applied for such benefits, and since it is impractical to actually count every unemployed person each month, the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940, when it began as a Work Projects Administration project. It has been expanded and modified several times since then......
There are about 60,000 households in the sample for this survey. This translates into approximately 110,000 individuals, a large sample compared to public opinion surveys which usually cover fewer than 2,000 people. The CPS sample is selected so as to be representative of the entire population of the United States. In order to select the sample, all of the counties and county-equivalent cities in the country first are grouped into 2,025 geographic areas (sampling units). The Census Bureau then designs and selects a sample consisting of 824 of these geographic areas to represent each State and the District of Columbia. The sample is a State-based design and reflects urban and rural areas, different types of industrial and farming areas, and the major geographic divisions of each State.......
Every month, one-fourth of the households in the sample are changed, so that no household is interviewed more than 4 consecutive months. This practice avoids placing too heavy a burden on the households selected for the sample. After a household is interviewed for 4 consecutive months, it leaves the sample for 8 months, and then is again interviewed for the same 4 calendar months a year later, before leaving the sample for good. This procedure results in approximately 75 percent of the sample remaining the same from month to month and 50 percent from year to year"

And it goes on from there. Its a pretty detailed method actually. I found the whole website pretty interesting....

The following are classified as unemployed...

Persons are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work. Actively looking for work may consist of any of the following activities:
  • Contacting:
    • An employer directly or having a job interview
    • A public or private employment agency
    • Friends or relatives
    • A school or university employment center
  • Sending out resumes or filling out applications
  • Placing or answering advertisements
  • Checking union or professional registers
  • Some other means of active job search
Passive methods of job search do not have the potential to result in a job offer and therefore do not qualify as active job search methods. Examples of passive methods include attending a job training program or course, or merely reading about job openings that are posted in newspapers or on the Internet.

In any event, lets hope these numbers get out of the double digits real soon!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Actually I did look at the link. And the numbers and the methods they use are not accurate at all. And many fall through the cracks once their benefits have run out.

They are simply not counted.

The rate here in FL is more like 15 to 20%.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:28 PM

42 posts, read 285,733 times
Default My .02 - warning - wordy post follows :D

Summary: Yes it sucks to find jobs here but the problem isn't finding the job - it's getting the job to look at you and not the other 150 candidates. Took me about 2 1/2 months and a lot of luck to find the job I just got. Read below for the long wordy version

Long Version: I moved down here in April (I know I've mentioned that here and there) from Kansas. I didn't have a job when I moved down and I found this website looking for info on the local schools. Since then I've seen the many many many MANY posts by people who say they're moving without jobs and the sometimes explosive responses that overwhelmingly say don't do it.

Now I obviously wouldn't recommend it but my situation was a little different since I met my husband online and he was initially going to move to KC but the job market there has suffered, as all have in this economy, and I was struggling to find a job and ended up taking a baking job for $9/hr because I couldn't find an IT job with all of the layoffs and no college degree (just 10 yrs experience that didn't mean squat). Because of that it made more sense for me to move down here since he has a solid job with the state in corrections that he's had for 9 years.

Anyway, the plan was for me to move down in April and get a job (insert nervous laugh here) and save to get a place by the end of the summer when my 2 kiddos will be coming down. We're staying with his parents until we find our place (luckily they're awesome people).

Needless to say, since then it's been a flurry of updating resumes, epapering the internet with said resume, job fairs (1 in a torrential downpour), and of that only 5 total interviews and 1 "pre-interview screening" were netted. My initial plan was to apply for anything in IT (that I felt qualified to do competently) and any/all admin positions as these represent the bulk of my employment experience. My goal was to net something that started at least at $10/hr. Through the process I considerably widened my net (read: lowered my standards) and applied to anything and everything that I thought I could reasonably do outside of physical labor/mowing lawns (that was plan C).

I found a lot of scams on Craigslist which was extremely frustrating. I got a turn down email by Target for a part time cashier position (talk about humbling) and I went in person to apply to JoAnn's when Snagajob told me they were hiring but weren't (turns out they leave their status on hiring to get applications even when they're not actively looking for people - fabulous).

In the end, I got the best response from companies where I went to their websites and applied directly vs. using Monster/Careerbuilder/Snagajob/Workforce Florida/etc.

If you read this far - hooray! - I got a job! With Apple! That I start on June 30! Read below for my takes on the interviews I had...

My interviews were
  • Geico
    • Applied directly through their website
    • Made it through the testing and initial interview and then never got a callback - finally got a kiss off via snail mail about 2 weeks later - would have been a pain anyway all the was in Lakeland!
  • 3 Stars
    • Found through the Workforce Florida site
    • This was the pre-screen (read: smokescreen). Apparently they're a marketing company and I'm pretty sure they just pull you in to make you take their stupid marketing test which sucked and was not relevant to the job. Questions such as - define affiliate marketing - or name 5 of the top 100 websites don't really seem like your typical questions for an administrative assistant screening - especially when everyone who walked through the door was taking the same test regardless of what position - but hey - I could just be bitter!
  • Valencia CC
    • Directly through their website
    • This was for a DB position. I was actually pretty excited by this one but I don't think I was as mentally prepared as I could have been. I got shook up when I walked in and took a database test and then got ushered into a conference room for a panel interview that I was not expecting. Very nervewracking. In any case they told me I'd hear something from HR and still haven't even though we're going on a month since the interview.
  • Wet-n-wild
    • I found it at the mayor's job fair (the one in the torrential downpour).
    • Sounded like a cool position. I liked the person I would have been working for - I thought the pay was low at $9/hr for an IT position but I'm an optimist and figured that if I were patient it would work out. Again - not quite a month after the interview and I've heard nothing - not yes, not no - just crickets!
  • Apple
    • I had 2 phone interviews with Apple - actually within 2 days - and was very VERY excited about this position but then never heard back. My 2nd phone interview from them was before the Valencia interview but their silence was deafening and I had all but written them off but then I got an email that they were doing a background check so yay! I actually finally got an offer from them and go to sign my new hire paperwork tomorrow. It pays more than all of the other ones would have and it's a work from home position doing tech support so it's pretty much a dream job for where I'm at in my life.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:17 PM

429 posts, read 1,104,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keliyra View Post
Summary: Yes it sucks to find jobs here but the problem isn't finding the job - it's getting the job to look at you and not the other 150 candidates. Took me about 2 1/2 months and a lot of luck to find the job I just got. Read below for the long wordy version

Long Version: I moved down here in April (I know I've mentioned that here and there) from Kansas. I didn't have a job when I moved down and I found this website looking for info on the local schools. Since then I've seen the many many many MANY posts by people who say they're moving without jobs and the sometimes explosive responses that overwhelmingly say don't do it.

Now I obviously wouldn't recommend it but my situation was a little different since I met my husband online and he was initially going to move to KC but the job market there has suffered, as all have in this economy, and I was struggling to find a job and ended up taking a baking job for $9/hr because I couldn't find an IT job with all of the layoffs and no college degree (just 10 yrs experience that didn't mean squat). Because of that it made more sense for me to move down here since he has a solid job with the state in corrections that he's had for 9 years.

Anyway, the plan was for me to move down in April and get a job (insert nervous laugh here) and save to get a place by the end of the summer when my 2 kiddos will be coming down. We're staying with his parents until we find our place (luckily they're awesome people).

Needless to say, since then it's been a flurry of updating resumes, epapering the internet with said resume, job fairs (1 in a torrential downpour), and of that only 5 total interviews and 1 "pre-interview screening" were netted. My initial plan was to apply for anything in IT (that I felt qualified to do competently) and any/all admin positions as these represent the bulk of my employment experience. My goal was to net something that started at least at $10/hr. Through the process I considerably widened my net (read: lowered my standards) and applied to anything and everything that I thought I could reasonably do outside of physical labor/mowing lawns (that was plan C).

I found a lot of scams on Craigslist which was extremely frustrating. I got a turn down email by Target for a part time cashier position (talk about humbling) and I went in person to apply to JoAnn's when Snagajob told me they were hiring but weren't (turns out they leave their status on hiring to get applications even when they're not actively looking for people - fabulous).

In the end, I got the best response from companies where I went to their websites and applied directly vs. using Monster/Careerbuilder/Snagajob/Workforce Florida/etc.

If you read this far - hooray! - I got a job! With Apple! That I start on June 30! Read below for my takes on the interviews I had...

My interviews were
  • Geico
    • Made it through the testing and initial interview and then never got a callback - finally got a kiss off via snail mail about 2 weeks later - would have been a pain anyway all the was in Lakeland!
  • 3 Stars
    • Found through the Workforce Florida site
    • This was the pre-screen (read: smokescreen). Apparently they're a marketing company and I'm pretty sure they just pull you in to make you take their stupid marketing test which sucked and was not relevant to the job. Questions such as - define affiliate marketing - or name 5 of the top 100 websites don't really seem like your typical questions for an administrative assistant screening - especially when everyone who walked through the door was taking the same test regardless of what position - but hey - I could just be bitter!
  • Valencia CC
    • Directly through their website
    • This was for a DB position. I was actually pretty excited by this one but I don't think I was as mentally prepared as I could have been. I got shook up when I walked in and took a database test and then got ushered into a conference room for a panel interview that I was not expecting. Very nervewracking. In any case they told me I'd hear something from HR and still haven't even though we're going on a month since the interview.
  • Wet-n-wild
    • I found it at the mayor's job fair (the one in the torrential downpour).
    • Sounded like a cool position. I liked the person I would have been working for - I thought the pay was low at $9/hr for an IT position but I'm an optimist and figured that if I were patient it would work out. Again - not quite a month after the interview and I've heard nothing - not yes, not no - just crickets!
  • Apple
    • I had 2 phone interviews with Apple - actually within 2 days - and was very VERY excited about this position but then never heard back. My 2nd phone interview from them was before the Valencia interview but their silence was deafening and I had all but written them off but then I got an email that they were doing a background check so yay! I actually finally got an offer from them and go to sign my new hire paperwork tomorrow. It pays more than all of the other ones would have and it's a work from home position doing tech support so it's pretty much a dream job for where I'm at in my life.
can I ask what "IT" position you do? 10 years experience should be pretty good and unfortunately the term "IT" is too broad..i'm just curious..thanks!

Old 06-23-2009, 04:42 PM

42 posts, read 285,733 times
Default It

Yes - it is broad - I was basically a jack of all trades IT person who did whatever was needed on the hardware side for 9 years. I mostly did project management and training (everything from basic IT new hire training to SME training on our particular hardware and software systems). Over the years I also had duties as an asset manager, site support tech (I was an escalation point when they were stuck or had issues), help desk overflow (not only training them but also performed as an agent when they were short and also provided an escalation point for our staff when needs weren't being met). A lot of work in technical documentation, writing training manuals and books that were not only used at our site but across the company which was global with over 10,000 employees worldwide. I set up and led project initiation workshops and training workshops - again - as small as 10 local people up to 25-30 and sometimes with international participation. I physically ran and tested network drops as needed.

It was really hard to quantify everything I did over 10 yrs. I seriously did everything they needed when they needed it. It was a great learning experience but it was sort of like being a jack of all trades, master of none. I didn't get any certifications while doing all of this which is definitely a regret. It was a great job while I had it - I ended up resigning my position to move out of state for my family.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Apply for jobs that require drug testing and back ground checks. That will get rid of over half of your competition in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: