Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by College Girl View Post
I am planning on attending Valencia Communtiy College in the fall.Now, I am not from the area so I will not be living at home with mom. My friend and I are planning on moving into a apartment close to the campus, all this negative talk about the area has made me uneasy about it. Is there any areas someone may mention that will be a good area for two 18 year old females to live in that isnt too far from the college???
It is very dangerous to live in that are in Orlando, that's for sure. I always tell aspiring college students to try to get in UF (in Gainesville, FL) as the town is 100x safer than Orlando and much more fun too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownbound View Post
All I can say is DO NOT LIVE ON RALEIGH ST. Raleigh is not horrible, but that seems to be where the crime is centered. Other than that you should be fine.

MW is a far cry from my Chicago neighborhood; and looks like disneyland compared to Miami.

p.s. I visit walmart in the middle of the night.. no problems so far
Hey, if you are of a certain race, maybe then you can visit the Walmart on Kirkman at late hours of the night. I honestly cannot say that is a smart thing to do, as that Walmart is the scene of many robberies and many carjacking/kidnappings.

Yes, Kirkman road compared to certain 'hoods in Miami or Chicago is not bad, but once YOU become a victim, all the statistics about how much worse it is in Chicago go out the window.

The truth is MetroWest has been invaded by the ghetto folks who live all aroung MetroWest. See try to imagine MetroWest being sorrounded by all these ghettos:

Silver star Road / Colonial
Pine Hills

^
|

MetroWest ---> Kirkman Road / Raleigh street

and in the south.....

Americana blvd / Oakridge Road

As you can see, MetroWest is basically in the middle of several violent ghettos. It is a shame such a gorgeous area has been overrun by thugs, rapists, murderes, etc. I grew up there, it is a VERY expensive area, USED TO BE very safe, but now it is overun with a ton of violent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 02:27 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
Quote:
It is very dangerous to live in that are in Orlando, that's for sure. I always tell aspiring college students to try to get in UF (in Gainesville, FL) as the town is 100x safer than Orlando and much more fun too!
What a joke! I guess no one remembers Danny Rolling. Anyone remember the gang-rapes that took place in several of the fraternity houses? I knew more girls who were sexually assaulted in the UF Dorms and at fraternity parties in the 4 years that I was there than I have ever known in the entire time I've lived in Orlando. There are more drunk drivers, more vandalism, more drug-crime, more thefts and break-ins, more rapes, more violent bar fights, generally more illegal activities going on at U of F than many areas of Orlando. Talk about Ghetto!

Maybe things have calmed down a little at UF (I doubt it, though - probably just more underground), but half the guys I knew there were either loaded up on cocaine or anabolic steroids. I'm sure it's a host of other drugs now.

Gainesville has some nice areas, don't get me wrong on that. But, much of the east side of town is pretty nasty. And, many of the areas right around the campus are low-rent ghetto appartments.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 15,182 times
never mind....

Last edited by FloridaGina; 01-13-2008 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: just because

Old 01-13-2008, 10:43 PM

29 posts, read 122,490 times
These people are crazy; metrowest is fine. There are better areas, but it's still a fine neighborhood.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:44 PM

6 posts, read 17,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
I grew up in MetroWest (MW). We had an apt for 2 years and then almost 6 years in a house. We sold and RAN (not walk, RAN AS FAST AS WE COULD) from MetroWest to Lake Mary because MW is so dangerous now. And I am speaking from a point of view that I owned a house in St. Andrews (very expensive homes).

You cannot even pump gas without having to keep watch in MW. People get carjacked and drugs are sold in the Walmart on Kirkman and Metro West blvd. Women are often attacked and rapped while jogging in the area. I could not even get groceries after dark without having a 9mm pistol ready to go on my waistband, as people try to rob you. Prostitues walk in the apt complexes in MW and they keep finding meth labs and crack houses in MW homes (even expensive ones).

MW is under siege from all the ghetto areas in West Orlando.

Stay as far away as possible from MetroWest/Kirkman rd/Conroy rd. That area was formerly considered "noble and upperclass", but now it's just an expensive, dangerous area. It is still beaitiful, I love it and miss it, but iot is too dangerous to live there now.

Agree much, watch the news, you will simply see that metro west is the target for criminals. All the crimes happen in Metro West area simply because its a rich area, and if your looking for a place to robb, thats the place lol. But really, west Orlando is not so much of a safe zone, move to south Orlando(Southchase, Hunter Creek, Meadow Woods) near me, more calm, but not such an Upscale enviorment and richy richy like Metro if thats what your lookin for!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:55 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,777 times
I lived in MW for the first year and a half I was here and didn't have any problems.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:05 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Default MetroWest

Hi,
I am pretty familiar with MetroWest as well as the rest of Orlando. There are many condo conversions in MetroWest which are in a state of crisis. The builders sold them at premiums and now homeowners are trying to get out of them. There are many foreclosures and short sales. The neighborhoods are in a state of deterioration as so many are so unhappy with their purchases. The clients I have had that wanted MetroWest didn't after we toured the area. While the area by the golf course on Hiawassee is very attractive it does not go too much deeper than that. The area starting at Raleigh is the beginning of the ghetto and as a result the crime in the area is abnormally high. I would not live there.
I don't know what type of property you are seeking but if it is a condo. then there are far better choices that would have the beauty but not the issues. If it is a home then there are some outstanding areas I suspect you would like far more. a lot depends on the style of home you want... condo or home and the price range / size. Also if you are seeking something you might do short term rentals on then that opens different doors as well.
Can you specify some more details about what you want?

Ken Anderson

Old 01-14-2008, 07:10 AM

17 posts, read 52,513 times
Hi. Uk member. I am also from the uk and moving over. We have been looking at the areas mentioned above (Hunters Creek, Wyndham Lakes & surrounding areas). I have been warned by friends in Orlando to stay away from the Pine Hills area. You are right when you say that "some" over exagerate on this site - i've worked that out for myself! I keep asking if any of these people who rate Orlando as soooo bad have been to the uk recently. As of yet no responses! pm me if u want a chat and a Brits perspective of areas!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:22 AM

7 posts, read 64,317 times
Default Metro West

Its good that you have been doing your research before you make such a large decision about buying or renting in any particular area of Orlando. There are several other posters that have some good ideas for alternatives to MW. Hunters Creek is a good alternative to MW. The problem with Hunters Creek is the HOAs are high. The strict HOA however is one of the reasons that the neighborhood has been so well maintained. There are lots of options, so be particular about where you buy or rent. It is a subjective to what you need. Remember that because MW is near a college, you do have alot of students living in the area. You know best what fits your needs.

Keith Pavlick

Old 01-14-2008, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 44,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownbound View Post
All I can say is DO NOT LIVE ON RALEIGH ST. Raleigh is not horrible, but that seems to be where the crime is centered. Other than that you should be fine.

MW is a far cry from my Chicago neighborhood; and looks like disneyland compared to Miami.

p.s. I visit walmart in the middle of the night.. no problems so far
That's exactly how I feel. Not that I don't believe what the locals say about crime, but I think it all depends on the place you're coming from. Since I live in Rio de Janeiro, any area in Orlando seems like paradise to me! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando