Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:38 AM

3 posts, read 12,960 times

Advertisements

My Father - in - Law bought 4 houses in Poinciana and wants us to move into one. Hear the crime rate makes this a bad move. He has homes on Dogpath and Erie - anyone know these areas and how are they ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 06:51 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,442 times
Did you mean Dogfish? I know of Erie Ct. Erie and Dogfish are in Lake Marion Estates. This is a very quiet and safe neighborhood. I have a family member that has lived there for 8 years and has never had trouble. The only problem is that it is WAY out there. Far past the Shopping areas of Poinciana but that actually is a good thing because that is the area that has the crime problems. If he doesn't mind a drive to everything then I would say he should have no problems. It is a very beautiful area and the prices on homes are amazing.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:32 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,858 times
We looked into Poinciana and considered buying there until we visited and as the previous poster said it's either way out there or basically kinda ghetto.If I remember it's divided into like 7 villages,the lower numbers are developed but there was nothing we saw that we liked,they had shopping but the area did not appear that good.We then saw one in village 7 the furthest one away,I think it was close to Lake Marion in not a fully developed area,nice house,great price but there's a reason for that price.We talked to a neighbor and he told us his wife works in Maitland and some days with traffic it took her almost 3 hours to get to work!!That's the biggest problem with Poinciana,it's pretty much one road in and out and from that house in village 7 even without traffic it was like 45 minutes to US 192.If they would have some major road that reached I-4 close to US 27 it wouldn't be as bad but even then you have to consider the crime.

Last edited by doom1001; 06-28-2009 at 10:08 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 AM

Tx for your replies. Traffic is not a problem, shopping either but the quality of the neighborhood is. You have both helped us make up our minds to move there. TX EDD

Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 AM

255 posts, read 757,349 times
Hello Edd,

Moving to Poinciana especially the village 7 area is not the worst place you could relocate. The crime is basically juvenille and directed toward those who cause trouble IMO, as I have lived here 14 years. The hardest part I have found about living here is that there is not much in the way of recreation. The HOA is a bit rediculous and like many that live here, we are frustrated that we can't put up a little pool for our children to cool off in the summer...but if these are not problems for you either, I think you would enjoy the quiet of the area. We still have a little wildlife, and although there is basically one way in and out through Poinciana, the locals know you can go the back way through Haines City. Depending on where you are working, the drive can be a bit monotonous but worth it when you leave all the crazy behind and return to simple quiet.

There are a LOT of houses here vacant and this will pose a problem if something doesn't get done about it soon. Empty,abandoned houses invite trouble since there are no residents keeping an eye out for each other.

Shopping is only 10 miles from village 7 "Lake Marion Village" as well as gas stations, fast food, movie stores, banks, community center, and soon hospital...so living out here is not as bad as some make it out to be. You just have to be prepared for how far out it really is from everything.

Good luck on the move. I know exactly where Dogfish is and it is a nice street however there are 2 sexual offenders that live on that street I believe...can be verified by checking the fdle website under offenders and neighborhood search.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:33 AM

Default Tx

Tx for the informative reply. Travel is not a problem since we now live in Vermont and long rides are normal. We do have a nice sopping center 1/2 mile away where we have a supermarket and soon a second drug store. I work on the road here and it is nothing to travel 99 miles to my first appointment. Not too bad since traffic is very light however in the winter months - 6 months of the year- it can take forever. Hopefully that hospital will be running soon and we definitely need to know about local physicians because my wife is ill (Main reason for the move.). One other question - I can pick where I want to work. For travel purposes which area would be the best to work in and also which areas do I avoid due to crime rates.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:17 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,586,502 times
Question Poinciana

Poinciana, FL looks like a nice area. Can anyone tell me what it's like there? New houses? Quality of life?

We're starting to research the entire area for our future retirement.

Last edited by 2goldens; 03-10-2010 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: merged threads

Old 10-17-2009, 09:15 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Take a look at Solivita an Avatar designed retirement community, watch out for the cheap REO and Short Sale vacation home communities as investors are buying them, need I say more?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Well I lived there recently and I didn't have issues really, but maybe you might ..it depends on what social class u come from...I'm poor and unemployed but never had a problem there.... I wasn't unemployed when i was there though...lol...Poinciana is not technically a city it is a community that starts from highway 17-92 and goes down to Polk County if u look on a map....but when locals say Poinciana they mean the area directly north and south of Cypress parkway after Poinciana blvd. ends heading south ....well that is Poinciana and the majority of people in town are Puerto Rican and some Haitians in the mix....but there are some whites and blacks too, but mainly a Puerto Rican community....I liked it there though being a white dude....

I only witnessed one incident personally where one of my friend's nephews knew a dude who murdered someone last year in a drug deal gone bad but he didnt say who because he didnt wanna snitch so that's on him but other than that "me personally" i never had any problems come up for me because i am not into drugs and i dont have alot of valuables and i am street smart after living in Miami..but me and my roomates lived in a 3 bedroom nice house paying 1100 a month rent and our neighbors were Jamaican and all Puerto Rican on my street with a white and Haitian family and i would wave to my neighbors and they waved back and i talked to them a couple times ....things are good in Poinciana ...at least for me they were

As for the city itself...well Wal-Mart is the place to go to get out of the house..there really isn't much to do around there but there are a bunch of mom and popp places in town in the shopping centers.....it's kind of like Deltona ...just a bunch of families in the area and there are really no apartments or condos to choose from but mainly houses, but people come there because its 20-30 minutes from Kissimmee and the houses are cheap.

Last edited by RazorRob305; 03-09-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
Take a look at Solivita an Avatar designed retirement community, watch out for the cheap REO and Short Sale vacation home communities as investors are buying them, need I say more?

Yeah that area is nice and for middle/upper class people...if u got the money then that is a great area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando