Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:39 AM

13 posts, read 78,511 times

Advertisements

Hi - we just purchased a home with a pool that has not been serviced in over 2 months. We live out of state and have not yet moved in, but have been told by a local pool company that it would have to be drained and then cleaned. We've never owned a pool before, but up here people shock their pools over several days and rarely drain them (and this is after the pool has been sitting over 6 months).

Does this sound right? It seems pretty costly as well, because on top of draining it we will have to pay to fill it up.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,526 times
The house that we moved into the pool was never taken care of and had sat for a long time. We shocked it and then took a sample to the pool store and they let us know what was needed to maintain it. Sounds like that pool co is pulling a fast one on you.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:00 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times
I'd get another pool company. The only time in 18 years that I drained my pool was to have it refinished! Otherwise, you can fix anything wrong with the water!

Wait until you get here. Run the filter, add shock, (the pool store will help you with how much.) and perhaps algaecide. After 48 hours, as the pool store to test the water, it's free. The pool probably needs brushed and it will need sweeped. You can do that too!

If you work with the pool supply store on that and it doesn't clear up quickly, you should have someone check your filter to be sure it's working property.

You'll learn alot about pool care cleaning it up and you'll find that the pool does not take that long to maintain and save lots of money by doing it yourself!

Welcome to Florida!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:50 PM

Thanks so much for your input and confirming what I originally thought! We spoke with the pool company again about treating it chemically and they admitted it could be done but would take a couple of weeks with someone treating the water daily and turning the pool on and off. Since we will not be down for another couple of months we have no choice but to drain it! I hope water is cheaper......

Old 07-07-2009, 02:00 PM

What a waste of water. Depending on the size of the pool and where you live, it is expensive to drain and refill the pool.

Hope your pool company has insurance in case the draining does not go so well. Pools have been known to pop when drained improperly.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:56 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Bound View Post
Thanks so much for your input and confirming what I originally thought! We spoke with the pool company again about treating it chemically and they admitted it could be done but would take a couple of weeks with someone treating the water daily and turning the pool on and off. Since we will not be down for another couple of months we have no choice but to drain it! I hope water is cheaper......
Have you tried contacting a different pool company and getting thier opinion?

Last edited by Denise in Fla; 07-07-2009 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 04:39 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
And this is why we fired our pool company. Anyone that says it will take weeks to get your pool back in shape or that you need to empty your pool (unbelievable) need to be reported.

My husband and I take care of our pool many times better than any company and so can you and it won't be a major undertaking. Go to a reputable company such as Leslies or Pinch a Penny. Until it is balanced be sure to clean your filter up to twice a week for the first month then back to weekly or twice monthly. Don't skimp on chemicals and brushing. Once your pool is balanced you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is. Please feel free to PM me if you need specifics.

Good luck and enjoy your pool.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Orlando Bound, you are getting good advice. Why not leave it green until you get here, then deal with it directly?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:27 AM

Actually I was hoping we could just leave it be until we finally move, but a citation was issued to the sellers citing it as a health hazard! Obviously someone in the neighborhood complained. So we really had no choice but to clean it up.

We will definately be maintaining it ourselves once we make the move.
Thanks again for all of the helpful advice.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Who issued you the citation? I've never heard of that before. The pool is in the yard, not the front, it's fenced or screened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando