Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 13,475 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a single young professional with alot of student loans ugh... but I will be relocating next year to Orlando from Rhode Island and was wondering where would be a nice section to live that's fairly resonable to rent in price and that's safe. I'd like to find a spot where other single mature people ages 30-45 are settled that's close to downtown but still away from the hustle of the city, I've looked at the milenia area so far.

Any help will be appreciated

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,821,688 times
Where will you be working? Give us a general area and we can give you some ideas that can keep your commute reasonable.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:55 PM

7 posts, read 12,780 times
Hey gym4life, I have considered moving to the Orlando area myself. I will complete my MBA in the fall and will be looking for jobs in the area (..to pay off my student loans as well). Just curious as to what industry you are/have worked in.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:24 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,030,292 times
Are you sure you don't want to live downtown/Thornton Park? If I were single, that is where I would want to be, for sure. The area around Lake Eola is very pretty, and social. Also, College Park which is just northwest of downtown, and Delaney Park park which is south of downtown are popular areas. Winter Park around Park Ave is another social area so you might want to check around that area and Maitland as well.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:28 PM

973 posts, read 2,221,525 times
Thornton Park, Baldwin Park, College Park, Winter Park, Maitland, Dr Phillips.. traffic in Orlando is horrible - all the lakes and rapid growth put a heavy strain on the inadequate road infrastructure through the few major roadways - I4/408/Colonial/etc.

Much of this question is best answered by where you'll likely work and your budget, and if you're considering buying for the long-term (ie: school systems for kids). Far east Orlando (Alafaya/Waterford near UCF) gets MUCH more house for the money in a decent neighborhood, and it's still only a 20 minute drive down 408 to downtown. If you're working downtown, *definitely* live there as the commute on I4 & 408 during rush hour can be unbearable.

Reasonable in rent is all relative.. how much are you expecting for what size apartment/house?

Old 07-08-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn370 View Post
Hey gym4life, I have considered moving to the Orlando area myself. I will complete my MBA in the fall and will be looking for jobs in the area (..to pay off my student loans as well). Just curious as to what industry you are/have worked in.
my work background has been in higher-ed working in marketing and communications and Development areas so I have yet to obtain a position due to the mass hiring freeze that many universities are experiencing, but am hopeful that by next year things will improve.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
Thornton Park, Baldwin Park, College Park, Winter Park, Maitland, Dr Phillips.. traffic in Orlando is horrible - all the lakes and rapid growth put a heavy strain on the inadequate road infrastructure through the few major roadways - I4/408/Colonial/etc.

Much of this question is best answered by where you'll likely work and your budget, and if you're considering buying for the long-term (ie: school systems for kids). Far east Orlando (Alafaya/Waterford near UCF) gets MUCH more house for the money in a decent neighborhood, and it's still only a 20 minute drive down 408 to downtown. If you're working downtown, *definitely* live there as the commute on I4 & 408 during rush hour can be unbearable.

Reasonable in rent is all relative.. how much are you expecting for what size apartment/house?

Thanks for info I'll check those area's out for sure, I am paying $900 here in this Tax crazy state of Rhode Island for a studio down the street from the city and with nothing included. I would hope to at least get a 1 bedroom w/ parking for that price in Orlando. I am waiting on a position at either UCF, Keiser or Valencia.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,821,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gym4life View Post
my work background has been in higher-ed working in marketing and communications and Development areas so I have yet to obtain a position due to the mass hiring freeze that many universities are experiencing, but am hopeful that by next year things will improve.
Try some of the private non-traditional universities, they have continued to hire in that capacity--but don't expect to make the money you are in RI--I interviewed for a marketing management position at one of them that capped out at $45K. My research showed they were paying competitively with similar schools in the area.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Try some of the private non-traditional universities, they have continued to hire in that capacity--but don't expect to make the money you are in RI--I interviewed for a marketing management position at one of them that capped out at $45K. My research showed they were paying competitively with similar schools in the area.
yikes... I know so many people been telling me that but you honestly cannot have a life here in RI, the car property tax alone kills me example, I lease a honda civic and every four months i have to pay $700.00 for property tax and I dont even own the vehicle! and after 32 years of shoveling snow and freezing from November to March; a much needed change is due. I just wish the pay scale and salary structure in Fl was equivalent to here.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:22 PM

973 posts, read 2,221,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gym4life View Post
I just wish the pay scale and salary structure in Fl was equivalent to here.
Then everyone would live here. Many I know who have left Florida have done so because of job opportunity & salary increases for good degrees elsewhere - northeast, Chicago area, Dallas area, Denver area, & west coast. Try the Phoenix, AZ area or San Diego perhaps? Florida salaries are far below comparable incomes in much of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando