Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:15 PM

96 posts, read 338,425 times

Advertisements

I am not sure you absolutely need a generator (sure it is a nice to have but so would be a storm room, or perhaps even a tin foil hat :-) ). In the last 15years, even after the hurricanes (Charlie, etc.) we've never lost power for long enought to loose anything in the fridge. Most power utilities in the area are underground so the power is issue is reduced a bit. Some people did loose power for a long time, but good luck finding gas when you need it. You'll need a lot of gas to run that generator. Figure that you will want to use it to run your fridge and maybe a window unit so you can sleep (yep, noise cortesy be darned!!) at night and that alone will eat through the one tankfull per night. You may want to consider naturel or propane gas for that. It is a shame we don't have city gas like in other places. My buddy in LA has his generator hooked up to a direct line from the utility company so if anything he just gets the bill at the end of the month without having to deal with the price gougers and maniacs running around after a storms.

By the way if you are getting one, don't pinch pennies. You'll want on that won't catch fire or other crazy thing like the B&S that were sold last summer during the LA and TX storms. Some Home Depots and Lowes had huge piles of returned units cause they were pretty much useless. Maybe even go for a diesel one (runs longer for less; same Kw's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:57 PM

19 posts, read 35,129 times
I can comment on this topic because I've had some experience in a little storm named KATRINA!

My daughter and her husband lived in Biloxi at the time. Their home was over ten miles from the coast. They were without power for nearly two weeks. No one who hasn't experienced this will understand how miserable that can be.

No air conditioning, no fans, no lights (beyond battery stuff which wears out quickly), no cool drinks (can't trust the water even if it is available), no perishable foods. It sucks.

How did I get involved? Well after two days of this, she was able to get to a cell phone that worked. She called us asking for help.

Their house was the refuge for co-workers who had lived closer to the coast. They all had lost everything. Each had dogs and/or cats. A dozen people and their pets living in a modestly sized house without amenities gets ugly fast.

I purchased two Honda 2000 watt generators and delivered them along with a bunch of supplies including about 50 gallons of gasoline.

Those generators operated around the clock for the next couple of weeks providing electricity for fans, the refrigerator, lights, radios, etc..

After that experience, I would NEVER be without a back-up generator of some sort regardless of where I live. A prolonged power loss in winter in a northern state could mean a loss of heating for the home. This can quickly lead to frozen pipes and very cold residents.

BTW: the Honda generators are very quiet and burn gas at a miserly rate. They can even be adapted to run on propane if you can't keep a reasonable supply of gasoline on hand.

For the safety challenged, please don't wire a private generator into your homes electrical wiring in a way that could "back feed" the public grid. Doing so has the potential to KILL utility workers and others.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:17 PM

24 posts, read 50,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotAlso View Post
For the safety challenged, please don't wire a private generator into your homes electrical wiring in a way that could "back feed" the public grid. Doing so has the potential to KILL utility workers and others.
Very important! As during an outage is exactly the same time you'll have the utility working on your lines.

Best to have a switch installed with which to flip your home from grid to generator. I had one in AK on the side of my house (locked of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando