Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:54 PM

6 posts, read 30,546 times

Advertisements

I might be accepting a job offer that would move me from northern IL all the way down to Sanford, FL!!! If and when take the job, I will try to find a crash pad of some sort or some other cheap living arrangement in Sanford to get me by until my wife moves down from IL......I am an airline employee so commuting to and from Illinois-Florida is easy as 123. However, once we sell our house and she moves down to FL, what cities/neighborhoods would your recommend we look at.......I dont mind commuting (about an hour max one way), so coastal living is in the equation as well. Places that seem interesting are Sanford, Deltona, Orange City, Titusville, Edgewater........we would like to live as close to the ocean as possible, so nothing further inland than the Sanford/Orlando area. Also, my wife is a teacher......so an area that has a good school district would be a bonus. If we were to buy, our budget would be about $200K......renting would be about $1000 per month. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 04:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I hate to break it to you, but the chances of your wife finding a teachign job in Florida right now are slim to none. Many teachers have been laid off, and those teachers get first crack at job openings. Unless she is ESE or ESL it's going to be nearly impossible for her to find work outside of the private schools, and even then it's pretty much just the religious based schools that don't pay well.

I can't really help ou going towards the coast, although be very aware that the further east you get, the higher your insurance is going to be. Get a quote before signing to buy anything!

Winter Springs and Oveido both have great schools and are adjacent to Sanford.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:36 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havhon View Post
I might be accepting a job offer that would move me from northern IL all the way down to Sanford, FL!!! If and when take the job, I will try to find a crash pad of some sort or some other cheap living arrangement in Sanford to get me by until my wife moves down from IL......I am an airline employee so commuting to and from Illinois-Florida is easy as 123. However, once we sell our house and she moves down to FL, what cities/neighborhoods would your recommend we look at.......I dont mind commuting (about an hour max one way), so coastal living is in the equation as well. Places that seem interesting are Sanford, Deltona, Orange City, Titusville, Edgewater........we would like to live as close to the ocean as possible, so nothing further inland than the Sanford/Orlando area. Also, my wife is a teacher......so an area that has a good school district would be a bonus. If we were to buy, our budget would be about $200K......renting would be about $1000 per month. Thanks for your help!
Orange City would make sense. Or Lake Mary perhaps? Will also second Winter Springs, though it's a bit closer in than Sanford...

Seminole is your best bet as far as a "good" school system...

Old 07-17-2009, 07:55 AM

167 posts, read 409,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havhon View Post
Allegiant?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I guess someone doesn't know how to read a map. Citrus Springs is over 100 miles from Sanford. He's got a job in Sanford, why would he want to look "at a different area?"

Talk about a waste of bandwidth.

BTW--You can buy land there cheap because it's in the middle of NO WHERE!!

PS--I've got some swampland to sell, cheap.

EPIC FAIL.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:34 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
If you're willing to commute up to an hour you should have some pretty good options. Anything along SR 46 heading east would put you on an easy commute to Sanford International and also the beach. You can also head into Volusia county and stay in any one of the cities along I-4. Theoretically you could even be in Daytona and get to Sanford within an hour depending on when your traveling. However if you are commuting during the normal hours it's not likely you could do the drive in less than hour. Try Deland, Orange City, Deltona. To stay closer to the city try Lake Mary, Longwood, Altamonte Springs, Casselberry. Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:58 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
There are some teaching jobs available in Seminole and Orange Counties. You just just have lots of competition.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:50 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Your wife should check www.teachers.net. Then click on Chatboards, then Chat Center (upper left), then Regional T-Net and then Florida. There a good amount of info straight from teachers in all areas of FL. I've been following the news on that site for awhile since I used to live & teach in the area and thought about moving back. Those plans are on hold due to the poor job market.

Anyway, the school year is going to start soon, so your wife need to act now if she has any hope of landing a job for the August start. In general, Volusia county has major budget issues (they couldn't even afford subs last year). The reason for that is some weird quirk in the state funding calculations which always leaves that county even shorter than the rest. Student enrollment numbers are also down in many counties, so they are cutting teachers.

Seminole is great in most areas, but some schools are rough (I also went to school there K-12). Seminole is having an issue with health insurance costs rising out of control. I wonder if you will get insurance through your job or your wifes'? If you are counting on school insurance for your family, be aware that it will easily cost several hundred dollars a month.

That is just about all the info I can give you for now, so good luck with your move and I hope your wife is able to find something.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:58 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Lake Mary, Orange City, Debary, and some parts of Sanford.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:41 PM

11 posts, read 56,981 times
I teach minutes from the Sanford airport at Seminole High School in Sanford, FL. You might want to consider Lake Mary. It is minutes from the Sanford Airport. It finished #4 in Money Magazine's Best Places to Live last year. As far as teaching in Seminole County check out this website Welcome to Seminole County Public Schools . It has all the job vacancies listed for seminole county Public Schools. If you have any other questions you are welcome to send me a private message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando