U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:02 AM

14 posts, read 44,509 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone living in Orlando. I just moved here and can't decide where to go shopping. Winn-Dixie is literally 5or6 blocks away from my house. Publix is about 12 minutes away. Wal-Mart is about 8 or so minutes away.

The big question, since Winn-Dixie is so close, how would you guys rate their prices compared to other stores and local locations? I haven't had the time to sit down and really compare them yet since I'm busy unpacking, starting the new job, etc.

All your help will be greatly appreciated everyone!!!

Thanks much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 AM

631 posts, read 1,666,176 times
Winn-Dixie is cheaper on some things (they use the "card" system) and they have recently made some of their stores better. However there's a reason 90% of them went out of business here. They were dirty, the food wasn't fresh and the employees were terrible. Again, they have restructured and I know they are supposedly trying but the last one I went in last Thanksgiving was just nasty.

Wal-Mart, couldn't tell you because I stay away from those like the plague. Wal-Marts in Florida re MUCH different than Wal-Marts in say, Tennessee. They tend to attract a certain type of crowd.

Publix is more expensive, that's for sure. But there's a reason. They are clean, the food is always fresh, the staff is professional and the selection is HUGE. They do have good sales, you have to keep your eye out.

I personally shop at Super Target downtown because it is $$$ cheaper than Publix. The selection is obviously a LOT less, but the quality is just as good and sometimes much cheaper. I'd say I save about $30-50 a week on groceries by going to Target. Just an example - my breakfast bars I eat are $3.79 at Publix and are $2.25 at Target.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 13,115 times
Hi and Welcome to Orlando. Winn Dixie has good prices but I have found that Wal Mart is a little cheaper. The bad thing is though, Wal mart is always so busy and has very long lines.
I always check the ads in the paper. Albertsons had buy steak get two free last week.
Winn Dixie and Publix usually have buy one get one free on a lot of items.
Again welcome to Orlando. You got here just in time for hurricane season. It seems to be most
active during August.
Hope this all helped. Whale5646

Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 AM

8,889 posts, read 14,845,439 times
The only thing I would buy at Winn Dixie are the sale items. Everything else is too expensive IMHO. I shop at Wlamart, which is good. I'd like to add a couple more places that are reasonable. Super Target is not too bad, but I shop at places like Save-A-Lot or Aldi. I know ppl are probably going to bash me about it, but try it for yourself. Although alot of the things are generics, they are still quality. When you have 2 teenagers that can eat, this is the only way to go. I don't buy meats there, I buy all my meats at Albertson's only when they are on sale. I freeze them and stock up. On average, I pay around $2-$2.50/lb for quality meats. This includes, boneless pork chops, chicken breast, pork ribs, ground beef, round roast, London Broil and Sirloin steak. They also have foods at Dollar Tree, Family Dollar and Big Lots that you can save on. Hope this helps!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:07 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,642,319 times
I posted this in another thread so I will post it here, too, since it is relevant...take what you want from it. Consumer Reports just rated the top 10 supermarkets in America from 59 national and regional chains in the latest issue...here are the results from reader surveys:

1. Wegmans
2. Trader Joe's
3. Publix
4. Raley's
5. Harris Teeter
6. Fareway
7. Costco
9. Whole Foods Market
10. (tie) WinCo Foods and Stater Bros

Worst supermarkets for:

Price: Whole Foods and Giant Eagle
Service: Walmart Supercenter and Waldbaum's
Perishables: Walmart Supercenter
Cleanliness: Waldbaum's

Old 07-27-2009, 10:46 AM

23,990 posts, read 32,322,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
Winn-Dixie is cheaper on some things (they use the "card" system) and they have recently made some of their stores better. However there's a reason 90% of them went out of business here. They were dirty, the food wasn't fresh and the employees were terrible. Again, they have restructured and I know they are supposedly trying but the last one I went in last Thanksgiving was just nasty.

Wal-Mart, couldn't tell you because I stay away from those like the plague. Wal-Marts in Florida re MUCH different than Wal-Marts in say, Tennessee. They tend to attract a certain type of crowd.

Publix is more expensive, that's for sure. But there's a reason. They are clean, the food is always fresh, the staff is professional and the selection is HUGE. They do have good sales, you have to keep your eye out.

I personally shop at Super Target downtown because it is $$$ cheaper than Publix. The selection is obviously a LOT less, but the quality is just as good and sometimes much cheaper. I'd say I save about $30-50 a week on groceries by going to Target. Just an example - my breakfast bars I eat are $3.79 at Publix and are $2.25 at Target.

I feel the exact same way, except I don't really shop at Target much. Publix is a lot closer, so no need to. Plus I've got a BJ's that's closer than Target as well, and they've got great prices.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I posted this in another thread so I will post it here, too, since it is relevant...take what you want from it. Consumer Reports just rated the top 10 supermarkets in America from 59 national and regional chains in the latest issue...here are the results from reader surveys:

1. Wegmans
2. Trader Joe's
3. Publix
4. Raley's
5. Harris Teeter
6. Fareway
7. Costco
9. Whole Foods Market

Worst supermarkets for:

Based on my experiences with the top three, I'd probably swap Trader Joe's and PUblix, but otherwise I absolutely agree! Can't wait until Wegman's eventually migrates to Florida.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:19 PM

407 posts, read 643,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post

1. Wegmans
2. Trader Joe's
3. Publix
4. Raley's
5. Harris Teeter
6. Fareway
7. Costco
9. Whole Foods Market

Worst supermarkets for:

if this list included people who have experienced stores in NYC Like C-town and Met, it would have all of them at the top of the list. People who live in NYC their whole lives though don't know what a "real" supermarket is though, lol, luckily I grew up with the real thing

Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
if this list included people who have experienced stores in NYC Like C-town and Met, it would have all of them at the top of the list. People who live in NYC their whole lives though don't know what a "real" supermarket is though, lol, luckily I grew up with the real thing
C-Town is positively disgusting!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:17 PM

749 posts, read 1,223,967 times
Thankfully, I live really close to a Publix, Winn-Dixie, Albertson's, Target and Aldi. I have to venture out to go to Wal-Mart. I pretty much follow the sales papers and buy what is on sale. Based on price alone, this is my opinion:

Meat: Winn-Dixie, Albertsons
Produce: Everyone is fair game
Non-Perishables: Wal-Mart, Target, Aldi (Winn-Dixie, Publix and Albertson's pretty much matches them when they do the 'buy one, get one free' sales, and if you add a coupon to it...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando