Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:46 AM

36 posts, read 148,152 times

Advertisements

Hi my roomate and I are looking to move to the south and Orlando is one of our top spots, Austin is the other. Anyway we were just wondering what it was like to live in Orlando. What is the job market like? He has a Masters and 3-5 years in Geographical Information Sciences, and I have an MBA with 1-2 years experience in financial auditing. We are both in our late 20's - early 30's and want to move to a place with a fairly young population, and hopefully a good supply of women around the same age as we are both single.

However, employment and living conditions are more important than the number of women living in the area.

Any information you can give us about the job market and general area of Orlando will be helpful.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 11:07 AM

44 posts, read 355,135 times
I cant help with your main priorities, however I can attest the fact that many good looking women crowd the streets downtown on the weekends. It is very nice

Old 04-28-2007, 07:57 PM

7 posts, read 25,177 times
Default Orlando or Austin?

Having lived in Orlando and Austin, I can tell you a bit about both places, although, I don't know about the job market.

I grew up in Orlando and will never move back. I loved it in the old days, but it has gotten way too touristy and the crime rate is very bad. It's also a much older population on the average than Austin (northern retirees).

Austin is a college-town, with 50,000+ students at the University of Texas, 30,000 at the Community College and we also have 3 small private liberal arts universities in Austin. Austin has a young, liberal, vibrant population (even those of us who aren't so young). It's a fun place to live.

Austin is a proud city, in a strange sort of way. "Keep Austin Weird" is it's motto and it's the self-proclaimed Live Capital of the World, both are true.
Austin it one of the healthiest cities in the nation. We have so many hike and bike trails, it's no wonder.

The humidity in Orlando can make it seem so much hotter than Austin.

Now if the one of you with the MBA should want to work at Disney World, I will say that it's the best company I've ever worked for in my 36 years of working and I've worked for several companies. No one can beat them on employee and customer satisfaction.

In Orlando, you're only an hour or so from the beach. Austin, 3 hours to the closest beach, Galveston, which is a strip of sand about the width of a sidewalk.

Bottom line, your both young and can move again later, if you don't like the place. You should go with which city can offer you the best job. If all offers are equal come to Austin.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:29 AM

Kat179

Thanks alot for the info! The beach is a huge draw for me. Are there any decent beaches somewhat close to Austin? At least that one could visit over a normal 2 day weekend? I thought that Galveston had a larger beach than what you describe. My roomate, the one with the GIS degree actually has an interview today so hopefully we will be moving there soon.

I hadn't looking into working for Disney as of yet, I am finishing my thesis and will be graduating this week. I am currently employed at the University and will continue to work there until I get a different job.

Thank you again for your input. I think that the scales are definately tipping in Austin's favor. Especially considering the age of the residents, and the low cost of living. Not to mention crime is something I would love to avoid.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:27 PM

217 posts, read 806,138 times
Wikipedia:

Orlando - (213,223)
In the city the population was spread out with 22.0% under the age of 18, 10.7% from 18 to 24, 37.3% from 25 to 44, 18.6% from 45 to 64, and 11.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 94.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.3 males.

Austin - (690,252)
In the city the population was spread out with 22.5% under the age of 18, 16.6% from 18 to 24, 37.1% from 25 to 44, 17.1% from 45 to 64, and 6.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 105.8 males.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 19,366 times
Question College Aged Son moving to Orlando

Son is going to College outside Orlando in the Fall, we have been traveling to Orlando for 17 years, it's changed alot, but what place hasn't???!

Only being familiar with most Orlando areas, now I need some information near UCF area, any gated apartments anyone suggest? Anything anyone can offer, except telling me the best places for less crime are mansions..........
he's only 18 and going to college, we've looked at a few places in Feb/April and there's alot of traffic/congestion/and not too many places I would want him to live there.........
Anyone here live in University Housing off Alfalfaya? (I am from "up north" so I am not sure how to write it........
This seems to look good, gated.........and alarms for the students.

Suggestions anyone?

PS After eons of wanting to move to Celebration, we now like Dr Phillips area/Sand Lake area, anyone suggest any short lease places in that district?
Thanks!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:29 PM

I don't know much about the area that is why I started the post, but I will tell you that in all my years of college my biggest regret was not living in the dorms. I ended up spending the majority of my free time in the dorms my first year and met most of my long time friends in them.

Many of the programs and events they went to sounded like a lot of fun, and because I didn't live there I could not participate. They all seemed to have a great time living there and met a lot of people. Living off campus was cool, but I think that for the first year living in the dorms is the best. It is a great way to network! I truly wished that I lived there with my friends.

I would highly recommend to your son that he consider living on campus the first year. I sincerely wish I had.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:52 AM

22 posts, read 151,015 times
I just want to point out that Orlando actually has an extremely young population. The median age is 34.5. I was very hesitant to move here a few years ago because of my stereotypical view of Orlando (Disney and tourism) but happy to say that this city is really not so bad. It's so easy to stay far, far away from the tourism. I live in a downtown neighborhood and love it. I'm not sure what to tell you about the job market. A lot of people on this board seem to think that the job market here sucks and it's very difficult for me to relate to that, nor do I know anyone personally that does not have a job or a great job for that matter. There is some pretty big industry here and a lot of companies are growing. Take a look at the Orlando Economic Development Commission website www.orlandoedc.com Maybe you will find some good insight on the job market here.
I am definately not trying to persuade you to move to Orlando over Austin because I think Austin rocks, but I also think that Orlando has a lot of nice things to offer. The beach and sun is huge. I grew up in the midwest and cannot tell you how much I appreciate spending my time laying by the pool or on the beach. I literally have to step back sometimes and remember that i am not on vacation. This is my life. and p.s. I think you would be very happy with the pool of women in this city.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,925 times
Orlando is named the hottest job market in the US. Website:http://www.money.cnn.com/galleries/2...iz2/index.html

Orlando is not just Disney, there are other big corporations, aerospace companies, excellent healthcare system, etc.

Orlando is the future in Florida

Old 05-04-2007, 04:24 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,973 times
I went to U of F, and lived in the dorms for my first year. Loved it, and agree that you meet some life-long friends living in the dorms.

However, living in dorms is intense and condusive to partying. Friend's pranks will keep you up 24-7, so will members of the oposite sex. I had to go to the library just to study - and even then found myself sleeping alot there because I never got any sleep in my dorm room. It was a great experience - did nothing to help my grades, though. And, I could only handle one year of it, yet that was definitely an unforgetable year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: