U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2009, 11:03 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,613,207 times

Advertisements

We really love the Orlando area. Our plan was to move there after tax time in February. But we have the chance to rent a house in Tampa. Anyone familiar with both areas that could give some input?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:32 AM

23,912 posts, read 31,994,773 times
I'd move to the place you have jobs lined up.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:39 AM

631 posts, read 1,658,065 times
I agree - do not move to Florida without a job lined up. Also you can use the search function as there are multiple threads about this topic with a wealth of information.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:52 AM

407 posts, read 639,593 times
i'll jump in because, well, once again...
obviously a job lined up is great, but i'd say either that or having enough savings, or just at least have a REAL plan...thats all
its not as cut and dry as "don't move here without a job"... you gotta do what YOU feel is right, but I certainly hope you have done plenty of research

Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,771,321 times
Lets say you have a job in either city. I would recommend tampa, If you like more traditional cities with more history. But i would recommend orlando if you like newer looking cities with more entertainment, I also think orlando looks more cleaner than tampa, just my opinion though.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 AM

4,712 posts, read 5,315,232 times
Tampa is a older city, with Beaches right there which makes the weather a lot better, cooler summer warmer winter. Yes Orlando does have winter. It can get into the high 30s mid 40s very often in Central Florida. You will have to drive about an hour to see a beach from Orlando and have to deal with some really bad traffic and a lot more tourist than you would in Tampa. Both cities are okay IMO. Orlando is a bit more international and modern, it has somewhat of a diverse population and its airport is one of the top 20 international gateways into the US. Of course Orlando will have more entertainment options except in the sports department. Orlando has UCF and the Magic while Tampa has the Lighting, Bucs, Rays, and USF. But I would imagine Orlando's night life to be a little better and younger than Tampa. I really could not see myself living in Tamap and as much as I am not a huge fan of Orlando being from Miami and all if I had to put down 20 cities in the US I could mind living in Orlando would be on that list.
Take a long stay in Orlando first it is obviously not the same as visiting dont do tourist stuff and just do day to day things there. Also GET A JOB FIRST in the area. That is the most important thing.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,771,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Tampa is a older city, with Beaches right there which makes the weather a lot better, cooler summer warmer winter. Yes Orlando does have winter. It can get into the high 30s mid 40s very often in Central Florida. You will have to drive about an hour to see a beach from Orlando and have to deal with some really bad traffic and a lot more tourist than you would in Tampa. Both cities are okay IMO. Orlando is a bit more international and modern, it has somewhat of a diverse population and its airport is one of the top 20 international gateways into the US. Of course Orlando will have more entertainment options except in the sports department. Orlando has UCF and the Magic while Tampa has the Lighting, Bucs, Rays, and USF. But I would imagine Orlando's night life to be a little better and younger than Tampa. I really could not see myself living in Tamap and as much as I am not a huge fan of Orlando being from Miami and all if I had to put down 20 cities in the US I could mind living in Orlando would be on that list.
Take a long stay in Orlando first it is obviously not the same as visiting dont do tourist stuff and just do day to day things there. Also GET A JOB FIRST in the area. That is the most important thing.
Forgot about the beaches. It all depends on what you like when it comes to beaches of either city. Tampas beaches are more calm, clear and warm, the closest beaches to orlando (30 mins to an hour depending on what part of orlando u live in) they have waves, cooler water (which can be nice and refreshing in the summer) and the sea breeze feels stronger (which cools you off while your laying on the beach) and Orlando has the space coast which is cool when you get to see the shuttle lift off every couple of months.. Both cities beaches are pretty popular though, Clearwater is a big tourist destination for tampa, daytona and cocoa are aswell for orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando