Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:40 AM

14 posts, read 36,602 times

Advertisements

Traysea - thanks so much! I'll look into the places that you suggested; I wouldn't have gone to the Utilities Commission (maybe wouldn't have thought of it), but it makes sense that they as well as others would have need of web designers. I've done some UI work in the past so that is a possibility for me. Thanks also for the link - I'll watch the video soon. It is affiliated with the school I'll be attending (I'll be going at night). It looks like there will be a wealth of information there. I've seen the bizjournal before and will definitely check it again.

How cool is it that a position opened so quickly; I wish you the best concerning getting the position (if you think it is a good fit, that is). You sound pretty organized, so you'll probably be able to handle the relocation well - although I'm sure it will be hectic - especially with kids!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply; lots of good information there - I'll definitely check out those companies.

As far as your husband - has he tried looking at DICE (www.dice.com) for positions? They have a lot of contract positions there - I'm not sure if this is what he is looking for or if he is familiar with it - but thought I'd mention it in case it is helpful.

cwebgrrl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 07:23 AM

131 posts, read 1,034,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traysea View Post
He's more of a Dreamweaver, Photoshop, HTML and Flash guy.. not a ASP, JAVA, PHP kind of guy. Can do enough JSP to get buy.. but what happened to the jobs where they valued what a true degreed "designer" can do vs. a coder that has a decent eye for color,layout etc.
In all honesty, that's kind of a tough place to be. There are a lot of people out there that claim to be proficient at Dreamweaver, Photoshop and HTML, so whenever a job opens up it gets flooded by applicants. Personally, I blame this on the dot com bust that you mentioned. It seems like everybody and their grandmother was a "web designer" at one time, whether they knew what they were doing or not, and those people are still out there looking for jobs.

Flash is a different story however. We always have a tough time finding somebody good at Flash, and I hear that frustration expressed quite a bit by peers as well. If your husband put together a kick-butt flash portfolio and sent it around to potential employers, I would think that it would work in his favor.

I can understand your frustrations with design vs. coding as well. I originally started out as a designer, then learned coding and database development out of necessity. Eventually I bettered those skills and was able to get higher paying jobs as a developer. I don't think coding is any more difficult then design, heck, there are even times when I'm staring at a blank screen trying to come up with a design that it might even be harder then coding, but truthfully there is more money in development.

Now, if your husband really wants to get into something that's in demand, tell him to look into internet security and encryption.

Oh, one more place to check for design jobs is AAA. Their national headquarters is located in Heathrow, and they often need designers for the ads in their tourbook and map publications.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 AM

131 posts, read 577,895 times
Thanks for your reply.
On to Flash, he works with Flash as a "designer", not the programmer interface. However, he focuses on Flash for animations and roll overs, not to build an application from scratch.

When you say a good Flash person is always in need, do you mean as far as a coder or designer? Or both?

Thanks again! I think my husband is feeling good about the potential move. If anything because he has a bit coming in from his consulting gigs to keep him fresh. He's also getting his bachelors in graphic design via an online program with Art Institute of Pittsburgh and he has a specialized AA from Univ of Cincy in Media design, but an AA doesn't get you anywhere these days.

I guess worst case he stays doing the stay at home dad thing with the consulting on the side and tries to get a different technical job after his bachelors or lands that nice design job. He's not looking to make a killing just be able to have a terrific working atmosphere and keep some side business going for extra money.

Your advice is so appreciated. I better get back to work!
Thx Tracey

Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,651 times
Unhappy Things have changed in 12 years.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Impressions View Post
Funny, I don't see any sunshine dollars on my pay stubs, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

I've been involved with the Graphics/IT/Internet Development industry for about 12 years now. For the most part, there is a large surplus of unqualified workers out there, but in my experience if you are good at what you do you shouldn't have much of a problem with employment.

Here's the problem:

If my assumption is correct & you've worked somewhere for 12 years, you have been comfortably working and you are "safe".....to those who try to get a foot in the door from out of state, they are getting it slammed in the door. Orlando has SO many people moving down here that the jobs are scarce and they know they can pay you peanuts if you are qualified.

You are fortunate enough to be somewhat "grandfathered" in.....I am also under the assumption that the 70k house you bought in 1995 is worth about 350k now? You should feel lucky and fortunate. Whatever you do, do NOT quit your job!!!!

That's the problem with Orlando. Too much growth and not enough management of it.

I'm leaving this place and going back north. Someone else can take my spot.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,651 times
Thumbs up I couldn't have said it better myself...

[quote=Nirvana-Guy;620726]Of course you do NOT see the sunshine dollars on your paycheck. You need to look outside and "be grateful" you live in Florida and you are priviledged to be able to have a job. THAT is how you get your sunshine Dollars.

Youi can be all of the above... punctual, clean-cut, smart, etc etc. And then you go to an interview and the employer loves you. Except you expect a "livable wage" and they will not pay you that because they have 10 other interviews after you.

Our local job market is in the toilet right now, when it comes to high paying jobs. If you wnat to come here with a "FL dream", it could turn into a NIGHTMARE where you end up working at Taco Bell just to get some money to come in and have to live with 3 or 4 roommates.
QUOTE]

Amen. I also feel like I am in Biblical times.....Sodom and Gomorrah...we've all been destroyed by being morally depraved and greedy in the land of sunshine. Living off of a mere pittance and killing each other in shoot-outs on OBT and Colonial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando