U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 PM

14 posts, read 30,107 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be relocating to Orlando this fall for graduate studies. While I attend school, I will be working. I am interested in the job market in the tech sector. I have 10+ years worth of experience in technical writing and graphics, as well as 7+ web development/web design. I know Orlando is known for its tourist industry and that there is a tech sector - but I'm not sure if the workforce is glutted with surplus workers. Can anyone give me info about this or the tech market in general?

Also, I've been reading a lot about workers needing to know spanish. I'm assuming this is primarily for jobs that require a lot of public contact. Is this true?

Appreciate any feedback you can provide!

cwebgrrl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 01:21 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,221,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebgrrl View Post
Hi,

I will be relocating to Orlando this fall for graduate studies. While I attend school, I will be working. I am interested in the job market in the tech sector. I have 10+ years worth of experience in technical writing and graphics, as well as 7+ web development/web design. I know Orlando is known for its tourist industry and that there is a tech sector - but I'm not sure if the workforce is glutted with surplus workers. Can anyone give me info about this or the tech market in general?

Also, I've been reading a lot about workers needing to know spanish. I'm assuming this is primarily for jobs that require a lot of public contact. Is this true?

Appreciate any feedback you can provide!

cwebgrrl
Computer jobs in FL SUCK!! I MEAN SUCK!! They are few to come by and they pay 1/2 of what you will get anywhere else. Again, if you have read other forums, you will know about "Sunshine Dollars". Employers "pay" you in sunshine as we say here... it's almost like an employer is honoring you by giving you a job in FL. Employers get so many resumes in FL for jobs, that they pay people as little as possible, because they KNOW if you will not work for that little, they can find someone who will. Plain and simple.

My stepdad lived in Orlando and worked here. The copmpter job market got so bad that he had to move to Springfield, IL first and then to Texas. He is doing VERY well now in TX. He gets paid a lot, pays $395 in rent in a decent, middle-class apt complex, and the weather is not too bad in the winter.

I say check out TX... steer away from Central FL, as tech jobs are NOT here. Most jobs here are real estate, construction, hotel, fast food, and gas station jobs.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:45 PM

131 posts, read 946,713 times
Funny, I don't see any sunshine dollars on my pay stubs, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

I've been involved with the Graphics/IT/Internet Development industry for about 12 years now. For the most part, there is a large surplus of unqualified workers out there, but in my experience if you are good at what you do you shouldn't have much of a problem with employment.

The good thing about website development and graphic design is that you can't really fake it. If you have a strong resume and good examples to show potential employers, it will go along way in moving you to the front of the pack when it comes to the interview process.

If you're reliable, punctual, have good work ethic, are not prone to excessing complaining AND have a strong resume, well, employers will practically be knocking down the door.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:55 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,221,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Impressions View Post
Funny, I don't see any sunshine dollars on my pay stubs, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

If you're reliable, punctual, have good work ethic, are not prone to excessing complaining AND have a strong resume, well, employers will practically be knocking down the door.
Of course you do NOT see the sunshine dollars on your paycheck. You need to look outside and "be grateful" you live in Florida and you are priviledged to be able to have a job. THAT is how you get your sunshine Dollars.

Youi can be all of the above... punctual, clean-cut, smart, etc etc. And then you go to an interview and the employer loves you. Except you expect a "livable wage" and they will not pay you that because they have 10 other interviews after you.

Our local job market is in the toilet right now, when it comes to high paying jobs. If you wnat to come here with a "FL dream", it could turn into a NIGHTMARE where you end up working at Taco Bell just to get some money to come in and have to live with 3 or 4 roommates.

I am NOT trying to scare you. I am telling you how it is. Believe whaqtever you want, but make sure you RESEARCH sites and see how hard it will be to get a job. It is extremely competitive here!!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:06 PM

Thanks Florida Impressions - this helps a lot. I've been looking at DICE, CareerBuilder, Monster. Are there any other sites that might be helpful? What about using headhunters? Out here (Maryland) there are many, but if you have your resume/portfolio and the right tools you can basically make it without them. What about Orlando?

Any other comments from you (or anyone else) is welcome!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:22 PM

131 posts, read 946,713 times
While using a headhunter may give you a better chance of finding a job (although often it is contract employment), you'll end up getting paid less since the employer has to pay both your salary as well as whatever fees the headhunter puts into place. If you are confident with your resume and skills, then I'd say just go ahead and see how you can do on your own. Definitely don't be scared to call up a company or stop by. Some companies are impressed when a prospective employee takes initiative and makes the first contact.

Along with the job employment sites, be sure to check out some of the local government offices. They usually have job listings available on their websites. I know of a few people who have IT jobs with different government offices, and they all seem happy. Also, make sure to check out the local newspapers. Since newspapers and other print media companies are continually going to more of an online presence, the need for good developers and designers keeps increasing.

Oh, and don't get too caught up in the sunshine dollars thing. Every job I've had for the last 12 years has been comparable to the national average. However, I also did my research beforehand and knew what the job was worth before accepting any offers.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:03 PM

130 posts, read 507,151 times
Interesting.. when my husbanded was employed as a graphic designer in 01' he made 32k starting then got a raise to 40k. Of course he also got laid off as a part of the dot bomb.. Now the problem seems to be if you don't "code" it's much harder to find quality "designer" jobs. He's more of a Dreamweaver, Photoshop, HTML and Flash guy.. not a ASP, JAVA, PHP kind of guy. Can do enough JSP to get buy.. but what happened to the jobs where they valued what a true degreed "designer" can do vs. a coder that has a decent eye for color,layout etc. ...

For Florida Impressions --- It would be particularly helpful for your insight into what networking my hubby will need to do in Orlando (we are working towards a move later this year) to secure a job. He's freelancing now and will take that business with him but he really wants the the day to day interaction and teaming experience. He misses going into an office, team projects etc. My job will get us to Orlando (assuming I get the transfer) but he needs something new too. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:44 PM

Thanks Florida Impressions and traysea. I will definitely expand my job search. I too am interested in the networking question that traysea raised. I do have some coding background and will continue to strengthen those skills. I don't enjoy it as much as the front end type of work, but I know how to do it and can offer that to employers.

I'm not bothered much by the sunshine dollars comment; without going into too much detail I've taken the time to look at other posts on this board and have noticed patterns that have emerged - so it helps me to evaluate advice that is given. I do think however, that I will probably make less than I do now. But I'm optimistic that if I am flexible, network, keep my skills and portfolio sharp and adjust my expectations, I should be able to get a decent job - even if it takes a little while. If I have to do other types of work while I'm waiting, that is ok too - I've been in worse spots.

Thanks again for your responses. Any more advice from anyone? Please let me know!

cwebgrrl

Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 PM

I used to work for Modis IT in Orlando (back in 01).. you might want to try their website for jobs ( I recall there being design needs from time to time).

Harcourt is down there and they are a part of McElsiver and Reed I think the publishers.. so there should be design stuff.

Other big companies I would think might have big marketing/design needs would be Darden Restaurants, Lockheed (what about UI design??), FISERV, Kirschman (I think they are down there in lake mary). Try the Utilities Commission.. energy companies seem to operate like government with lots of jobs but pay good. FL might be different but in KY I swear the IT department is by far the largest for my energy companies here.

Do you ever go to the Orlando Business Courier (www.bizjournals.com) (broken link). You should be able to get more info on growing companies. There are also many Business Partners to companies like IBM, Microsoft etc. If you do design then you could in theory do design for customized interfaces within Commerce Applications from IBM's Websphere Commerce -- assuming you found a company that needed your skills for that type of project.

Good luck.

I am a little freaked (why I am still online) as I put in my transfer request to my boss. A job opened up in orlando and I just know my team is going to freak out tomorrow. So if I get to apply and get the job , then oh my gosh will the work begin to relocate with 2 little kids and a hubby in school full time!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 PM

Default http://www.floridahightech.com/sectors/digitalMedia.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebgrrl View Post
Thanks Florida Impressions and traysea. I will definitely expand my job search. I too am interested in the networking question that traysea raised. I do have some coding background and will continue to strengthen those skills. I don't enjoy it as much as the front end type of work, but I know how to do it and can offer that to employers.

I'm not bothered much by the sunshine dollars comment; without going into too much detail I've taken the time to look at other posts on this board and have noticed patterns that have emerged - so it helps me to evaluate advice that is given. I do think however, that I will probably make less than I do now. But I'm optimistic that if I am flexible, network, keep my skills and portfolio sharp and adjust my expectations, I should be able to get a decent job - even if it takes a little while. If I have to do other types of work while I'm waiting, that is ok too - I've been in worse spots.

Thanks again for your responses. Any more advice from anyone? Please let me know!

cwebgrrl

I found this site for you to look at. Going to send to my hubby as well.

http://www.floridahightech.com/sectors/digitalMedia.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando