U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 03:16 AM

4 posts, read 19,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblirons View Post
That is totally incorrect. The Lake Nona area is NOT zoned for Vista Lakes schools which is the firing range. Also, there is a BRAND new high school being built for the area, scheduled to be completed in 2009. Also, the elementary school is A rated with one of the best reputations of any school in central Florida.
My post has been correct. I never said that the area was zoned for the Odyssey middle school. I said it is near there. The map provided by the Orlando Sentinel shows the whole firing range. Not only there is a potential danger that chemicals have leaked underground, but another issue is that they have taken mud, etc from that area to fill the roads and other places as needed. Everything has been written extensively at the Orlando Sentinel. Even the Innovation way is under danger of not happening due to the munition and chemicals that may exist. Chemicals do not know what is zoned for what but leak at all directions.

As for the school- it is in Orange county, is not it? That's all that matters. I would never send my children to an Orange county school. I visited the schools and read their scores and decided that Seminole was the nearest option. I would never risk their future.

I would like to caution people to read everybody's comment, as well as research newspaper archives and business journals outside of the region to get a pulse for the areas you are interested. And be weary of real estate brokers as they would paint you an extremely rosy picture. Drive around the neighborhoods, and at night, and you'll get a feeling of each area. Visit the neighborhood supermarket and local stores. Even from the customers that you'll see, as well as the type of merchandise that you'll see on the shelves, you can get a very clear idea of the people who live nearby.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 06:19 AM

561 posts, read 1,622,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta1 View Post

As for the school- it is in Orange county, is not it? That's all that matters. I would never send my children to an Orange county school. I visited the schools and read their scores and decided that Seminole was the nearest option. I would never risk their future.

I would like to caution people to read everybody's comment, as well as research newspaper archives and business journals outside of the region to get a pulse for the areas you are interested. And be weary of real estate brokers as they would paint you an extremely rosy picture. Drive around the neighborhoods, and at night, and you'll get a feeling of each area. Visit the neighborhood supermarket and local stores. Even from the customers that you'll see, as well as the type of merchandise that you'll see on the shelves, you can get a very clear idea of the people who live nearby.
I could not agree more with this.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 13,950 times
Default Schools and noise at Lake Nona

The Lake Nona area elementary and junion high schools are rated A for great! AND a new high school is coming. It will be interesting to see what it is rated.

Another area of potential concern:
At Lake Nona the flight path is DIRECTLY over the new medical school, Burnham, VA, Biomedical Sciences buildings, etc.. Landings did not seem to cause a problem with noise. Take offs will be noisy but the new buildings wll hopefully be well insulated for sound.
The residential neighborhoods are way off to the side of the airport and will have actually NO planes overhead so will be much better. Hey if you do not like noise, then do not move to a city or metropolitan area!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 AM

561 posts, read 1,622,097 times
I would never settle my family to live anywhere remotely close to any airport, let alone one as busy as OIA.

What are the Health Effects of Airport Noise and Airport Pollution?

US-CAW, US-Citizens Aviation Watch <--Click on the Studies link

Old 10-12-2008, 07:09 AM

4 posts, read 21,676 times
Default Moss Park Ridge

Does anyone know some informaiton on Moss Park Ridge ?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 10,141 times
Default Obviously knows nothing about the area

So you are speaking for all Orange County schools? Do your research. The elementary and middle schools are all rated A in the area and there is a brand new high school opening in 2009. There are only a FEW high schools in the entire Central Florida area rated over a C, Seminole County included. Real Estate agents happen to know neighborhoods better than ANYONE as KNOWING (good and bad) is part of their job. They have no need to steer buyers (and this is against the code of ethics) to one area over another. Buyers are buyers and most agents sell in the entire Central Florida area. I happen to have lived in the Lake Nona/St. Cloud area for the past 6 years and I have 4 children who attend the public schools. I have also met some incredible families here which is why I believe it is a great area to live.

Yes, read all comments and do your own research. A Seminole county resident that has never lived in the area really has no expertise. Also, as a person with a Master's Degree in soil and water science, do you have ANY actual education on chemicals leaking into groundwater? It occurs EVERYWHERE and there are spills, leaks, incidents reports on a weekly basis. There is plenty of research published on the South Florida Water Management and St. Johns River water management District websites about contamination. You can't read one article in the Orlando Sentinel and assume you can make an opinon about an area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta1 View Post
My post has been correct. I never said that the area was zoned for the Odyssey middle school. I said it is near there. The map provided by the Orlando Sentinel shows the whole firing range. Not only there is a potential danger that chemicals have leaked underground, but another issue is that they have taken mud, etc from that area to fill the roads and other places as needed. Everything has been written extensively at the Orlando Sentinel. Even the Innovation way is under danger of not happening due to the munition and chemicals that may exist. Chemicals do not know what is zoned for what but leak at all directions.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando