Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 11,402 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I currently live in Albany, NY and am in the process of relocating back to the Orlando, FL area in about a year or so. Although, I use to live in Orlando a few years back, I was hoping that you might be able to help out as to where the best areas with low crime rates which might be a good spot to call home. I'm hoping for an area that is pretty centrally located to shopping, dining, etc. I know that since I lived in Orlando I should know the area well, but I never really explored much besides the area I lived, which was off SR-436 by the airport. Thanks for all your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 10:12 PM

34 posts, read 83,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNY78 View Post
Hi all, I currently live in Albany, NY and am in the process of relocating back to the Orlando, FL area in about a year or so. Although, I use to live in Orlando a few years back, I was hoping that you might be able to help out as to where the best areas with low crime rates which might be a good spot to call home. I'm hoping for an area that is pretty centrally located to shopping, dining, etc. I know that since I lived in Orlando I should know the area well, but I never really explored much besides the area I lived, which was off SR-436 by the airport. Thanks for all your assistance.

Well, a good area for that would be Apopka. It's on the outskirts of Orlando proper. In northern Orange County. The problem is things have gotten rough down here in Florida, specially the Orlando area. Employment opportunities are at an all time low, and crime is at an all time high. However, like I said, Apopka is the way to go, me thinks.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:29 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times
Lake Mary is a very nice area with low crime. It is very conveninetly located to everything.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 AM

986 posts, read 3,548,851 times
If your looking for a central location with fantastic access then you cant go wrong with the Windermere area. It is a premier area but with prices falling it is now very affordable and has access to great shopping and dining. There are a number of great areas however, the best piece of advice i can give you is that your home search should be based around where you are going to be working. If you already have a job offer or work from home this will enable you to have a good idea. Otherwise, until you find employment it is very difficult and i wouldnt consider the move unless you have gained employment here first. As has been noted numerous times on these boards just as with many places in America jobs are hard to find.

I hope this helps

Nick

Old 08-10-2009, 11:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Hey, I grew up just north of Albany!

If you want an area like Lark Street, then one of the condo towers downtown like the Vue, Aspire, or 57 West would work for you.

More like the area around St. Rose would be the Colonialtown area (the area around where Route 50 and Bumby meet) which has an eclectic collection of shops and cafes, entertainment, and some great ethnic food.

Clermont and Winter Springs are similar to Clifton Park or Latham. Lake Mary, Heathrow, Windermere are more like Loudonville. Winter Park is like parts of Saratoga Springs.

The area are SUNYA and the area around UCF is very similar.

Oveido reminds me of East Greenbush, while Winter Garden is kind of like Niksyuna with some really nice parts and some really not nice parts and butting up against a bad area.

Parramore is like South Albany or lots of Schnectady, while Pine Hills is more like Troy or Arbor Hill, generally safe during the day but some really bad areas at night. The Millenia area is just flat out to be avoided--think the very wrost parts of Schenectady.

Let me know if you want more info.

Last edited by annerk; 08-10-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-11-2009, 04:55 AM

5 posts, read 11,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

If you want an area like Lark Street, then one of the condo towers downtown like the Vue, Aspire, or 57 West would work for you.

More like the area around St. Rose would be the Colonialtown area (the area around where Route 50 and Bumby meet) which has an eclectic collection of shops and cafes, entertainment, and some great ethnic food.

Clermont and Winter Springs are similar to Clifton Park or Latham. Lake Mary, Heathrow, Windermere are more like Loudonville. Winter Park is like parts of Saratoga Springs.

The area are SUNYA and the area around UCF is very similar.

Oveido reminds me of East Greenbush, while Winter Garden is kind of like Niksyuna with some really nice parts and some really not nice parts and butting up against a bad area.

Parramore is like South Albany or lots of Schnectady, while Pine Hills is more like Troy or Arbor Hill, generally safe during the day but some really bad areas at night. The Millenia area is just flat out to be avoided--think the very wrost parts of Schenectady.

Let me know if you want more info.
Thanks for the information. Indicating places that I am farmiliar with really does help, thanks a lot.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,147 times
I would consider Winter Park, Lake Mary or Heathrow. Apopka is crime ridden and above national average. Look in the Orlando news at the constant crime stats. The Orange school district is not challenging and approx. 75% on free lunch. Newer areas have developed in Apopka due to very cheap land, therefore cheap housing. Check the stats!

Old 09-15-2009, 04:34 PM

167 posts, read 409,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Scotia/Schenectady native!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,029 times
We just moved from Clifton Park... and a few doors down just moved from Saratoga Springs.

annerk, I didn't know you grew up around the capital region. No wonder I always enjoy reading your posts!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:35 PM

167 posts, read 409,345 times
Time to organize a capital district party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando