Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:02 PM

13 posts, read 41,972 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me where a good place to live in Orlando area is? I live in Charlotte and I am just finding it to be a boring city. I really like Orlando I just don't know to much about it. I like to have fun. Can you tell me where to look for roommates and jobs. Also how are the rest of the season in Orlando. I know that summer is HOT and HUMID. But how about the rest. Are there Tornadoes and how are the nighttime temps in the winter?? Any help would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 02:17 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
First and foremost, let me start by saying what everyone else will undoubtedly tell you. Do not move here without a job lined up first. Once you find a job than I would step up the housing search. That being said, Orlando is a great place for young people these days. The best areas to live would be the neighborhoods downtown, East Orlando to be near college scene, Winter Park, Maitland, Altamonte Springs and Dr. Phillips/Windermere area are all places where you will be near the action. I would try looking on Craigslist. You will find that many of the posting are posted Realtors. From there I would follow there link and see what else they may have available that's not posted on CL. Finally the rest of the year here is mild. Fall is very pleasant, usually around the 70's. Winter nighttime temps can be cold. Usually mid 50's but it is not uncommon to have overnight lows in the 40's and 30's. There are also coldsnaps that last up to a week where daytime temps do not get above the mid 50's. There are tornados but not the type of twisters you see in tornado alley. Most tornados here are small, usually not big enough to swallow a house whole. The big worry here is hurricanes. Although we are inland a major storm will still hit us with alot of steam and do some heavy damage. There's also alot of lightning here. If you can deal with these weather extremes you should be happy here. Hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:03 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Orlando is hard to beat if you are looking for a bar and club scene...they are packed downtown, dense and varied in music. I have gone out in Charlotte...Orlando, to me, has a more upbeat scene. As for where to live? Try to get a roomate and live downtown in a highrise, if you can't afford to fly solo, to be right in the action.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:06 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Orlando weather during winter months is usually great. There are some slim tornado threats when cold fronts pull threw every couple of weeks but nothing major. The day time temps usually sit comfortably in the 60s and 70s and the night time temps are usually around the 50s and 40s. And like the poster above said, we do get cold snaps a few times each year when the temps can get into the 30s and 20s at night, and not get out of the 50s in the day time. Percipitation wise, I would say about 80% of the winter time, it is blue skies and sunny out. The winter weather is pleasant for the most part, it's usually everyones favorite part of the year.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:31 PM

Thanks for all your help. I do plan to find a job and roommate before I get down there. I will have my parents helping me to financially. The weather sounds fantastic there. It actually sounds a lot like Charlotte.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:03 AM

Although I do wanna ask this.... Is Orlando the best city for me or am I better off going to Tampa or even Atlanta?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:10 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
You should probably take a trip down to all of those cities before deciding on a place to live.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,197 times
It's hot here all the time. There are no jobs . . . pretty much like the rest of the country. I am leaving for Atlanta! Definetly don't move unless you have a job!
I have lived in Westwinds apartments for the past year. Not too bad.
There's a pool, basketball, volleyball, dogpark, 1BBQ.
Gated but the gates are broken more than they are locked.
Utilities Water and Trash about...$63 a month.
Electric during the Summer $150 average.
Brighthouse DSL line + basic cable $97.00.
Ballys fitness across the street $31 a month.
Publix Grocery just up the street and 3 Walmarts very close and the 2 major shopping Malls very close
check out craigslist orlando for winterpark college park and downtown areas for rentals too

Old 08-17-2009, 12:30 PM

398 posts, read 729,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltolaxto?? View Post
Although I do wanna ask this.... Is Orlando the best city for me or am I better off going to Tampa or even Atlanta?
That is a decision only you can make. I would visit and research before you make any changes, you might realize that the grass is not greener on the other side.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
Its a good place for someone in their 20's and a lot of bars + clubs downtown on Orange Ave. The job situation is less than ideal but this seems to be the case everywhere. Don't worry about the weather. Even though its hot as crap right now its real nice from mid Oct-late April so you're timing you're move at a pretty good time. We rarely see any cold weather. Even in the winter months most afternoons its usually in the low-mid 70's and 50's overnight. We had 16 days last December with high temps of 80 degrees or greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando