Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:21 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Hmm...SF more urban than Central...I don't know if I agree with that. They are both about the same. Miami is the only city that is very different from the other large cities in Florida, so if you are talking about Miami...I agree 100%. However, Orlando and Tampa are every bit as urban as Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. All of those large cities have urban sprawl combined with city life peppered throughout their landscapes.
When I say urban, I do not just mean amenities. Tampa and Orlando are packed with amenities and I love them. Miami just has more highrises and wider freeways, and more cosmopolitan areas. It has some of the world class dining, hotels, celebrity homes, culture, and nightlife that make it intensely more notorious in other parts of the world. When they classify cities as Alpha, Beta, etc... Tampa and Orlando, as great as they are, do not make that list. Miami and Atlanta are the only cities in the SE that make that list and are decidedly more influental and urban in identity overall. Don't get me wrong, I love Orlando and tout its various pros and cons constantly but I think it is important to be unbiased, realistic, and accurate when you make comparisons and offer advise to people unfamiliar with the areas in question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:35 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
I have to agree Wilshire. Having lived in both Miami and Orlando, it's two different classes of cities. Miami is a world class city due to it's influence on trade and finance in the Carribean and Latin American forums. However, I must also agree that without Miami, the rest of South Florida is fairly comparable to Orlando and other areas of FL. I don't find Broward or Palm Beach counties to be more urban than CFL but Broward is more developed than Orange. That being said it's dependant on taste, and primarily weather and amenities. The weather is hot in SFL, hot in CFL but much more moderate during the Fall and Winter. If you must have beach weather year round thant SFL is your place. And although both areas are politically left leaning, SFL is much more socially liberal than CFL. CFL is more family oriented whereas SFL, anything goes.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:34 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
Quote:
Miami is the only city that is very different from the other large cities in Florida, so if you are talking about Miami...I agree 100%. However, Orlando and Tampa are every bit as urban as Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. All of those large cities have urban sprawl combined with city life peppered throughout their landscapes.
Re-quoting myself. I never disagreed with Wilshire about Miami even before he posted.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Re-quoting myself. I never disagreed with Wilshire about Miami even before he posted.
I apologize, I see exactly what you were saying. I missed the first line of your comments and zeroed in on the second part. I get in the habit of lumping the three counties down there all together and construed that comment as you saying that Miami was just like Tampa and Orlando.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:32 PM

131 posts, read 295,366 times
I like Orlando, but South FL is great. I think Lauderdale may be where I end up at. Sarasota is really nice if you are older and retired. There are a ton of cool places in South FL.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:16 AM

88 posts, read 264,760 times
Pick south Florida over central Florida you say? It depends on what you're looking for...south Florida used to be gorgeous-Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Key Biscayne, Miami. I've been too afraid to go down and look in that area since I witnessed the ruination of Orlando...that was all I could handle. I choose not to live in an area where I'm a minority. When you went to college and you're turned down for many jobs because you don't speak Spanish, that's a red flag for me. It also drives down the wages. Me, I'm looking for a FAIR playing field. People need to know the truth. Unless you have money coming in every month I'd think really hard about moving anywhere in Florida.
true blue,
moonbeam

Old 08-22-2009, 10:29 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
Pick south Florida over central Florida you say? It depends on what you're looking for...south Florida used to be gorgeous-Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Key Biscayne, Miami. I've been too afraid to go down and look in that area since I witnessed the ruination of Orlando...that was all I could handle. I choose not to live in an area where I'm a minority. When you went to college and you're turned down for many jobs because you don't speak Spanish, that's a red flag for me. It also drives down the wages. Me, I'm looking for a FAIR playing field. People need to know the truth. Unless you have money coming in every month I'd think really hard about moving anywhere in Florida.
true blue,
moonbeam
I completely agree.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:36 PM

14 posts, read 32,462 times
Depends On What You Like. Simple Ass That. Comparing The Two Cities Are Only Opinions Being That Weather IS Different(Hotter And More Violent THunderstorms In Orlando) And More OF A True Tropical Climate In Miami. South Florida HAs Several Cities And Incoorporated Area Whiich Population Exceeds the 100,000 Mark. Orlando Area, Well Just Orlando. So YOu Cant Really Compare The Two Area Because South Florida Is By Far More Developed And Includes A Larger MSA Metro Boundary Than Orlando Metro

Old 08-24-2009, 05:47 AM

Ruination of Orlando?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times
I was at the outlet malls this weekend, and it is pretty amazing how many Spanish speakers there are. I never really notice this because I don't hang around I-drive. It is a non-factor downtown and in the Winter Park / Maitland areas where I frequent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando