Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:04 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,021 times

Advertisements

UCF Now Third Largest University In Country - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Cool stuff, along with the medical center it looks like Orlando metro is getting more acclaim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
very impressive. Im proud of the college that was pretty much an unknown college when i was a kid and lived right down the road from it. Crazy how it grew so fast.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 AM

258 posts, read 812,073 times
That's great!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:27 PM

18 posts, read 84,562 times
Love it, every school, building itself like cancer cells. Quantity and quality are two completely different things.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:12 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigs11111 View Post
Quantity and quality are two completely different things.
This thought has crossed my mind quite often during my existence in this area.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times
Do you know what it has done to build itself and who these 'transfer' students are? It was one of the things that impressed me when we had our meeting with the Economic Development Commission in Orlando before we decided to move here.

It is a benefit of living in Florida.

IF you area Florida resident, and you attend a Florida Community College, your credits are transferable to UCF towards your 4 year degree. You are guaranteed admission to UCF from a FL community College. I find that to be a great benefit to FL residents. I can get a UCF degree for my daughter and only pay for two full tuition years if I can't afford the full 4. Of course, you have to pull the grades.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Actually you are not guaranteed admission to UCF as a transfer student from a CC in Florida. You are only guaranteed transfer to a Florida state university, but there is no guarantee of getting the university of your choice.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually you are not guaranteed admission to UCF as a transfer student from a CC in Florida. You are only guaranteed transfer to a Florida state university, but there is no guarantee of getting the university of your choice.
Oh...right. ) Still a good deal nevertheless And, my kid is a math genius, so I just made that leap of faith since they have an engineering major...lol Thanks for the clarification. They did make that clear at the Ec. Dev. Comission.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:45 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Oh...right. ) Still a good deal nevertheless And, my kid is a math genius, so I just made that leap of faith since they have an engineering major...lol Thanks for the clarification. They did make that clear at the Ec. Dev. Comission.
You are also not guaranteed admission to the SCHOOL of your choice within the university.

Your math genius kid shouldn't have a problem, though. My 'kid', also a math genius, recently graduated from UCF with a double major in CS and Engineering. He's back now for grad school while enjoying a great job with Lockheed and letting Lockheed pay for it!!

He worked in the tech industry all the way through school because there are so many local tech companies in the research park area around UCF that offer work/study programs. I can't say enough good things about the CS and Engineering programs at UCF. We were just blessed to live so close to a school that offered high quality programs in the fields my son needed.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
You are also not guaranteed admission to the SCHOOL of your choice within the university.

Your math genius kid shouldn't have a problem, though. My 'kid', also a math genius, recently graduated from UCF with a double major in CS and Engineering. He's back now for grad school while enjoying a great job with Lockheed and letting Lockheed pay for it!!

He worked in the tech industry all the way through school because there are so many local tech companies in the research park area around UCF that offer work/study programs. I can't say enough good things about the CS and Engineering programs at UCF. We were just blessed to live so close to a school that offered high quality programs in the fields my son needed.
LOL...so you disagree that UCF is a Quantity over Quality school? I sortof feel that , regardless of anything else, you don't get to be that large by issuing garbage degrees...seriously. It may not be Ivy League but, I am certain it's not a poor quality degree either. Your opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando