U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 09:40 PM

7 posts, read 31,369 times

Advertisements

I need a 2-3 ideas for good ballet schools & gymnastics schools for children. Needs to be very close to or in Oviedo.

Same for kids Tennis instruction, although I am considering Parks & Rec.

Any ideas on Soccer teams for grade schoolers in Oviedo? Or is soccer not a big thing here?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:58 AM

127 posts, read 458,414 times
i am having trouble with the dance/gymnastics thing too..I want to enroll my 4 year old...but the closest thing i know of is a Gymnastics program on alafaya near avalon and little gym in lake mary....but nothing i can find for oviedo. anyone know of any?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:07 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,321,006 times
look into UPAC (university preforming arts center) its a dance school for kids from pre-k age to 12th grade. My girl cousins went there when they were kids, its a good program. Its in oviedo.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 PM

331 posts, read 910,796 times
There is a a gym called Broadway Gymnastics located somewhere in Oviedo, I was a competitive gymnast growing up, and visited Broadway a few times. I believe they offer gymnastics and cheerleading but not sure about dance. They have been around for years and I knew quite a few people who went there. Hope this helps a bit! Here is the webpage Broadway Gymnastics in Oviedo Florida

Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 AM

127 posts, read 458,414 times
great! thanks all!!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,714 times
I'm not sure if you still need this information, but I'll post anyway.

Broadway Gymnastics is very popular. There is also a place called Gold Medal on the corner of Lockwood and 419. That place used to be Scott Johnson's but they left and the building was empty for a while. Broadway is typical gymnastics (bar, beam, tramp, tumbling, rings) and Gold Medal is mostly tumbling/floor and cheer. They also have beam, but if you are looking for a true "gymnastics" facility then I would look into Broadway. Nations All Star is a popular cheerleading/gymnastics facility, but they take cheerleading very seriously. They are a competitive cheerleading facility so it takes a lot of dedication.

As for dance, UPAC (University Performing Arts Center) seems to be the most common facility. They also offer tumbling there, but it is very basic. Studio 5D is also popular, but they are in Winter Springs and that might be too far for you.

My daughter has taken lessons at Broadway, Gold Medal and UPAC so I might be able to answer any specific questions you have. One of her best friends has been cheering at Nations for several years, so I could get answers about that as well if you had questions.

As for tennis, most kids I know go to Oviedo Parks and Recreation although RDV offers lessons as well. RDV is quite a haul from Oviedo, though. We live in Oviedo and my daughter took ice skating at RDV. We ended up not re-registering because the drive was just too much.

Soccer: The Y is somewhat popular, but I think you will find that CFU is the most common for soccer around here. There is a Christian program called "Upward" that offers soccer (as well as cheerleading, basketball, etc), but I'm not sure if that would interest you. Also, there is another program (the name escapes me now), but it is for the "serious" soccer player in that they have practices 2x/week as well as Saturday games. I can get the info on that if you are interested.

Well, I've probably babbled on long enough. Hopefully I've helped!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 AM

7 posts, read 31,369 times
I am going to report on what I've found out so far: I have spoken to an older teenage girl who takes dance and works at a dancewear business. Her top recommendations were. New Dimensions, Studio 5D, Starz, Joy Christian academy. I also heard someone talking about liking Tutu's on Broadway for their preschooler.
We're skipping gymnastics for now. I appreciate the info though!
I also looked into tennis through parks and rec. $100 (total) for 4-5 30 min. -private lessons and then following $40/mo for group.
For now we're sticking with Girl Scouts and dance to avoid over scheduling.
Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando