Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,073 times

Advertisements

So I know everyone is having problems with money these days. I've done my best over the years to stand on my own 2 feet, and work my ass off for everything I have, but I've learned that sometimes you have to suck it up and ask for a handout.

I don't know where to start and any information would be helpful. I graduated a year ago from University of Illinois, with a Bachelor's degree in animal science. Since vet school wasn't an option for me, I'm pretty much not doing anything with my degree. I've been working as a waitress for a long time, but since I stopped getting financial aid from the school when I graduated, the real world has slapped me real hard in the face, on top of having to pay back my student loans. I just moved out to florida a few weeks ago, and am going back to school. Perhaps the nursing field will work out better for me. I start the Patient Care Tech program at Americare School of Nursing in a few weeks. I've been searching for grants and scholarships online, and not having a lot of solid leads. Also, I am just getting back to work after being unemployed for a month, so the funds are pretty much nonexistant right now, and I'm trying to figure out how to apply for food stamps or welfare or what not....I'm pretty new to all of this, so I don't know where to start. Everywhere I've looked online have turned out to be either spam websites or you have to have children to qualify. Anyone know of websites for government aid or an office I can go to to talk to someone about getting on some type of program? Any help would b greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,282 times
I guess it would be called student loans. Can you really go back to college and get on welfare/food stamps?

Old 09-02-2009, 04:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Yes, but, as a single person with no dependents, the chances of getting cash payments arent' happening. Foodstamps, maybe, but that's it. Section 8 waiting lists around here have been closed, and food stamps have a six week wait just to apply.

In all honesty there are still jobs for people with that type of degree in zookeeping and vet tech. They might not pay a ton to start, but at least they are jobs and not sponging off the rest of us.

By the way, student loans can be defered.

Welcome to the real world. We've all got bills to pay. Go apply at Disney they are hiring for housekeeping.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 AM

My student loans are the biggest of my expenses every month. I pay more for them than my rent and car payment put together! They told me they could be deferred as soon as I actually started school, so I just have to make it thru October (until I graduate, when they all pile on again). People keep telling me that as a single independent going into the medical field, there's tons of money NOT in the form of loans, I just can't seem to find any of it. And since getting my bachelor's degree was so expensive, I've maxed out on all my sub. loans and have to go to unsub. loans. Yes, I'm looking for help to pay for school, but in the case of foodstamps or welfare, I'm only looking to be on it for a little bit to help me get back on my feet. I'm finally got hired on at my second job, so once I get caught up with having gone a month without working, I should be pretty much ok....I just need to get out of this hole first. I'm def. no stranger to the real world and going to school full time and working a full time and part time job.....that's how I survived college...but with the cost of my move across the country and not working for a bit, I've fallen too far behind. And as for the vet tech thing...not only do I make more money as a server (at least I did in Illinois, we'll see how things work out here), but because I didn't get an associates degree in vet tech and i'm not a CVT, they won't look at me....I've gone to places all over Champaign and Chicago Illinois, and Phoenix AZ....and it's a no go

Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,282 times
Well, I wish the best whatever happens. Do you have family you could maybe stay with while you're sorting all this out?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:52 AM

Thanks. And no, all my family lives in Illinois. At least I have a landlord that's understanding and is letting me pay her in installments. I guess I just figured I've always worked my ass off every day of my life without any handouts, and I know too many people living off welfare or unemployment not even bothering to find a job or do anything for their future, so if they get my tax money, why can't I get a little bit when I'm in need and actually trying to do something with myself? I've never been fired, so I've never been qualified for unemployment, and because I already have a bachelor's degree, I don't qualify for the grant the school offers. O well, I guess that's just the way this country works. And so the search continues for more grants and scholarships :/

And btw, I tried to make my posts as non-whiney and asking for pity as possible. I'm just looking for a little advice on where to start. Thanks guys!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:08 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid for grants

Orlando Job Recruiting: Workforce Central Florida More funding for school

The Florida Department of Children and Families Food stamps

The Sharing Center | Because We Care We Share Food, clothes, and help with some bills

http://www.harvest-time.org/ Cheap food, cans, boxed foods and household items and so much more!

Hope this helps!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,146 times
Smile State Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn85 View Post
So I know everyone is having problems with money these days. I've done my best over the years to stand on my own 2 feet, and work my ass off for everything I have, but I've learned that sometimes you have to suck it up and ask for a handout.

I don't know where to start and any information would be helpful. I graduated a year ago from University of Illinois, with a Bachelor's degree in animal science. Since vet school wasn't an option for me, I'm pretty much not doing anything with my degree. I've been working as a waitress for a long time, but since I stopped getting financial aid from the school when I graduated, the real world has slapped me real hard in the face, on top of having to pay back my student loans. I just moved out to florida a few weeks ago, and am going back to school. Perhaps the nursing field will work out better for me. I start the Patient Care Tech program at Americare School of Nursing in a few weeks. I've been searching for grants and scholarships online, and not having a lot of solid leads. Also, I am just getting back to work after being unemployed for a month, so the funds are pretty much nonexistant right now, and I'm trying to figure out how to apply for food stamps or welfare or what not....I'm pretty new to all of this, so I don't know where to start. Everywhere I've looked online have turned out to be either spam websites or you have to have children to qualify. Anyone know of websites for government aid or an office I can go to to talk to someone about getting on some type of program? Any help would b greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I was single and applied for State help a couple of years ago. I contacted Social Services and they were able to help me. That is actually the only thing I knew to do, but it worked and I got the help I needed. Good Luck. I have been there and done that. I will say a prayer for you

Old 09-02-2009, 01:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I'd look into at least part time work at local hospitals and large clinics and switch out your lower paying job to something like that. A big hospital will often give you at least something for educational expenses related to career progression at the institution if you're a regular (ie. scheduled shifts and not primarily working on-call) employee and that kind of job can be good for references and networking purposes after you graduate. At the very least, office gossip you learn at those places gives you a very good idea of area employers to aim for and avoid over the long term.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Perhaps it is time to pull up stakes and return to Illinois. Sorry but you're a perfect example of someone coming to FL without a job and falling on hard times.

Before I would apply for welfare and food stamps and expect the govt. to pay me for a mistake I would head home.

Even if that means living with your parents for awhile.

Why should the govt. have to pay your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: