U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:35 AM

633 posts, read 2,712,257 times

Advertisements

As many other posters have also stated, crime is EVERYWHERE and you stay away from bad areas. Orlando has had a new wave of crime over the past few years there is no denying. I don't claim to know all the details of every murder in this town but it appears to me a lot of it is over drugs and happens between people who know each other.

I'd like to share this awful story that came to my email yesterday. It made me think of the this posters relentless blast of crime news here in Orlando and how he never acknowledges crime anywhere else but Orlando. If you ask me this is probably one of the worst stories I've heard in a long time and it's not even national news. These awful things can happen anywhere... and do. Please stop painting Orlando to be worse than anywhere else.
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=6023706

The Victims

Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom

The Suspects

Lemaricus Davidson, Letalvis Cobbins, George Thomas, Eric Boyd, Vanessa Coleman

The animals pictured above raped Christopher Newsom, cut off his penis, then set him on fire and fatally shot him several times while they forced his girlfriend, Channon Christian, to watch. An even more cruel fate awaited her!

Channon Christian, was beaten and gang-raped in many ways for four days by all of them, while they took turns urinating on her. Then they cut off her breast and put chemicals in her mouth and then murdered her.

Knoxville (WVLT) - The District Attorney General of Knox County announced the list of charges facing now five suspects in the double murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom.

The District Attorney General Randy Nichols is not saying whether or not he will seek the death penalty, but he does say the state will seek conviction for all charges filed in a 24-page indictment from the Knox County Grand Jury.

Lemaricus Davidson, 25, faces a total of 46 charges. Davidson was indicted on 16 counts of Felony Murder growing out of rape, robbery kidnapping and theft of Channon Christian and Chris Newsom, 2 counts premeditated murder of Christian and Newsom, 2 counts especially aggravated robberies from Christian and Newsom, 4 counts especially aggravated kidnapping of Christian and Newsom, 20 counts aggravated rape of Christian and Newsom, and 2 counts of theft from Christian and Newsom.

Letalvis Cobbins, 24, faces a total of 46 charges. Cobbins was indicted on 16 counts of Felony Murder growing out of rape, robbery kidnapping and theft of Channon Christian and Chris Newsom, 2 counts premeditated murder of Christian and Newsom, 2 counts especially aggravated robberies from Christian and Newsom, 4 counts especially aggravated kidnapping of Christian and Newsom, 20 counts aggravated rape of Christian and Newsom, and 2 counts of theft from Christian and Newsom.

George Thomas, 24, faces a total of 46 charges. Thomas was indicted on 16 counts of Felony Murder growing out of rape, robbery kidnapping and theft of Channon Christian and Chris Newsom, 2 counts premeditated murder of Christian and Newsom, 2 counts especially aggravated robberies from Christian and Newsom, 4 counts especially aggravated kidnapping of Christian and Newsom, 20 counts aggravated rape of Christian and Newsom, and 2 counts of theft from Christian and Newsom.

Just last night, police in Lebanon, Kentucky, arrested 18-year-old Vanessa Coleman. She faces 40 Tennessee state charges. Coleman was indicted on 12 counts Felony Murder growing out of rape, robbery kidnapping and theft of Channon Christian and Chris Newsom, 1 count Premeditated Murder of Christian only, 1 count Especially Aggravated Robbery of Newsom only, 4 counts especially aggravated kidnapping of Christian and Newsom, 20 counts of aggravated rape of Christian and Newsom and 2 Counts of theft from Christian and Newsom.

Eric Boyd, 24, also arrested in connection with the fatal carjacking, only faces federal charges as an accessory after the fact. He was not indicted by Knox county grand jury.

Felony Murder carries a possibility of death, life without the possibility of parole and life with parole. Especially Aggravated Robbery is a Class A felony that carries a possibility of 15 to 60 years in prison. Aggravated Rape is a Class A felony that carries a possibility of 15 to 60 years of prison.

At a news conference Thursday, Nichols commended the cooperative efforts between several departments and credits that cooperation for the fast pace this case is moving through the court system.

Nichols says he hopes to move the case to trial on the first day it's set.

The four are expected to make their first court appearance within ten to fifteen days.

This is certainly a case garnering a lot of public interest, Nichols recognizes that and says he expects all kinds of requests filed in this case, including a change of venue in order to receive a fair trial. But he says he does hope 12 Knox County jurors will be able to determine the guilt or innocence of these suspects.

Last edited by Jammie; 05-07-2007 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: good post, but no personal insults allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 12:32 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,216,366 times
Default Now here are some more "fun news"

Bus Driver Saves Woman Being Dragged Into Woods --> yeah... go jogging in Orlando... it is safe.. Standing and waiting for a bus is suicide too!

POSTED: 11:35 pm EDT May 6, 2007
UPDATED: 12:00 am EDT May 7, 2007

A Lynx bus driver is being credited with saving a woman who was being dragged away from a bus stop by the throat into some nearby woods, according to police.

Investigators said the woman was waiting at a bus stop in front of the Hidden Lakes apartment complex on Kirkman Road Sunday when someone grabbed her from behind.

The attacker put a belt around her neck and started dragging her into some woods near the complex, witnesses said.
As it was happening, Lynx bus driver Patricia Ward pulled up to the stop and noticed the attack.

"I got out screaming, 'Stop, stop,'" Ward said. "At that point she completely disappeared into the woods -- being dragged. I then turned around and yelled at my passengers who were on the bus to please call 911."

The man stopped that attack and fled the scene, according to police.

There was no description of the man offered in the report.

Anyone with information concerning this crime is urged to call Crimeline at 800-423-TIPS.

http://www.local6.com/2007/0507/13266948.jpg (broken link)

http://www.local6.com/news/13266935/detail.html (broken link)

Police: Woman, 83, Given Crack, Robbed --> Don't like crack? Well smoke it anyway, dang it! This is Central Florida!!

Woman Accused Of Charging $3,200 On Victim's Credit Card

POSTED: 10:43 am EDT May 7, 2007
UPDATED: 10:51 am EDT May 7, 2007

NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. -- An 83-year-old woman was robbed of her credit card after another woman gave her crack to smoke, according to investigators.

Pasco County sheriff's investigators said Theresa M. Stanley-Morgan, 41, of getting the elderly woman to smoke crack so she could run up at least $3,200 in charges.

The sheriff's office said Stanley-Morgan admitted to police that she used Shirley Hathaway's name, birth date and Social Security number to open a credit-card account after having her smoke a lit crack pipe.

http://www.local6.com/news/13268709/detail.html (broken link)

Police: Driver Opens Fire On Family After Stopping At Changing Red Light --> You stopped at a RED light?? Not in Orlando, you should NOT!!

POSTED: 9:30 am EDT May 6, 2007
UPDATED: 10:26 am EDT May 6, 2007

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A motorist in Orange County, Fla., opened fire and narrowly missed shooting a 2-year-old in a car seat after his mother did not run a changing red light as she approached an intersection, according to deputies.

Investigators said a woman and her child were driving at Pine Hills Road and Beggs Avenue Saturday when a light at the intersection changed.

The woman did not run the light and stopped.

"She stopped for a red light and apparently for the person behind her, that wasn't good enough," Orange County sheriff's Sgt. Shawn Callaghan said. "The person went around her and fired one round into her truck."

http://www.local6.com/2007/0506/13264781.jpg (broken link)

http://www.local6.com/news/13265328/detail.html (broken link)

Groups Of Men Accused Of Soliciting Prostitutes Near Day Care --> We have hookers near day cars so kids grow up thinking that "tricking is cool".

POSTED: 12:15 am EDT May 5, 2007
UPDATED: 7:00 am EDT May 7, 2007

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Groups of men were taken into custody in an Osceola County, Fla., neighborhood Friday night accused of soliciting undercover police officers posing as prostitutes.

http://www.local6.com/2007/0505/13263093_240X180.jpg (broken link)

http://www.local6.com/news/13263073/detail.html (broken link)

Man Dead After Orange County Standoff

POSTED: 8:43 am EDT May 7, 2007
UPDATED: 9:17 am EDT May 7, 2007

A standoff that involved a hostage in an Orange County, Fla., neighborhood ended with one man dead, according to police.

Deputies surrounded a house in the area of Westmoor Bend and Old Winter Garden Road Monday morning.

http://www.local6.com/2007/0507/13268040.jpg (broken link)

http://www.local6.com/news/13267710/detail.html (broken link)

I am sorry I have not been able to post much. Since my last post (Thu), there have been 3 murders and 8 robberies in Orlando. 2 abductions and the lady at the bus stop being kidnapped.

There is too much crime to cover.... try checking out the local channels: Local6.com WFTV.com and MyFoxOrlando.com

Good luck surviving in Orlando... you will need it!! Not just surviving the drive home... I am also talking surviving financially. But again, if you cannot make it alive home everyday from work, then finances won't matter, will they?

Old 05-08-2007, 03:22 AM

54 posts, read 339,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Vandal Paints Orlando Police Cruiser Red --> does this show how little respect the locals have for cops? >_<
f*ck the police, not like they're doing **** anyway. just buy a gun and handle yourself. the police are and always will be crooked dumbf*cks who were C students in public high school.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 AM

14,506 posts, read 21,872,299 times
How far east is the bad area. Nirvana Guy- is Winter Haven in there?

Old 05-08-2007, 03:39 AM

54 posts, read 339,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
How far east is the bad area. Nirvana Guy- is Winter Haven in there?
no. when people talk about the 'bad part' of east orlando it's usually around semoran

Old 05-08-2007, 03:47 PM

53 posts, read 239,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Good luck surviving in Orlando... you will need it!! Not just surviving the drive home... I am also talking surviving financially. But again, if you cannot make it alive home everyday from work, then finances won't matter, will they?
Dude, you need to take the blue pill and just become an agoraphobic. Now your pasting news on Kissimmee, Osceola County, and New Port Richey...how about throwing some clips in from Houston, TX.

Just breathe deep NG, and think happy thoughts...It will help you through the fear...

Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 PM

97 posts, read 327,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash5705 View Post
Dude, you need to take the blue pill and just become an agoraphobic. Now your pasting news on Kissimmee, Osceola County, and New Port Richey...how about throwing some clips in from Houston, TX.
Wait I agree with the guy.

yes, kissimmee and osceola county is absolute chaos and gang turf, but orlando is pretty bad too.

East orlando by semoran and by hofferman is absurd... i feel like i am downtown los angeles or El paso where criminal gang types run the streets. it is an awful reality! I went to Ventura (which was safe before) and now it is horrible, people are afraid to leave the gated area and inside the gates areas everyone seems afraid....

WHAT happened to my orlando? I come down to visit it and it has turned into something awful!!!

My heart is in pain just thinking about Orlando. what happened to the city? it is very dirty and violent! *cry*

Old 05-12-2007, 04:57 PM

48 posts, read 233,536 times
Anyone that lives in Orlando knows to stay away from Pine Hills (Crime Hills) and the Rosemont area. Pine Hills is the ghetto of Orlando. Its just an area that people stay away from. I know people that wouldnt even drive through there in broad daylight.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:10 PM

700 posts, read 2,736,435 times
AMEN!! I lived in the Orlando area for fifteen years and Pine Hills was always called "Crime Hills"!All cities of any size have an area like this that you know to stay away from.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 AM

8 posts, read 72,211 times
I find it laughable that people include Rosemont in the Pine Hills section of postings. For the most part Rosemont proper has 300-500k homes. There is a very small section of "rosemont" that borders on US 441 over by the Publix grocery store that everyone who knows the area, knows is housing druggies, even the Homeowners, police, city commissioners and mayor are trying to force the clean up of that particular area, and yet posters to these sites insist in calling "Rosemont" a ghetto. I challenge anyone to truly drive thru and take a look at the fine clean very mixed neighborhood around the lake and call it a ghetto at the next homeowners meeting. See what kind of responce you get then. We are working as hard as we can to keep our neighborhood as crime free as possible. What are you doing to help? NOTHING, you continually put this area down as though there are nothing but hoodlums and criminals that really dont care, living in the area. There are Doctors, lawyers, teachers, firefighters, and probably some of your very family members living in this fine area. That I can still say is a neighborhood where children can play and neighbors still know eachother, can you say that about yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando