Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 10:51 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times

Advertisements

OK so I've been snooping around the area of 32839 and it's supposed to be near Orange Blossom Trail and have a lot of crime.

I went to an unmentionable site to find a bit more info on the specific area. The average crime for violent and also for property crime in the U.S. is a 3 at this site. Both of those type of crimes came up as a 3. My little midwestern city is a 3 and a 5. So, does anyone know how this could be? I remember some people talking about certain areas being full of crime while there is little crime nearby. Is that the situation here or what's the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 05:58 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,032 times
I am not sure why the crime rate does not reflect what I have seen of this area....it is pretty bad! It is a very low income area which, don't get me wrong, doesn't always make an area unlivable but in this case it does. Oak Ridge, Pine Castle, Holden Heights really have a bad reputation for a reason. Perhaps not always violent crimes though - the OBT reputation of prostitution and strip clubs originate from this zip code.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:18 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Zip codes are funny things - you can have some great areas and some horrible areas in one zip code.

It's easier for (some) of us to tell you about specific areas if you describe them by the nearest major intersection. I personally don't know anyone's zipcode other than my own - so it's hard for me to respond to the information you request. Also, reported crime statistics are a joke. Crime tends to get reported much more in Orlando than in say, NYC. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:59 AM

45 posts, read 211,553 times
S.OBT is known for prostitutes,drugs,stripper joints. You can ride down that area and you will know what I mean. Around the corner you got Parramore and it all goes around to Downtown Orlando. Now, some of N.OBT isn't bad depending where it is.

These areas are not to good:
S.OBT
Kaley
Parramore
Mercy Dr.
Malibu
Pine Hills
There are a few more I can't think of right now, but believe me, you'll know what I mean if you go down some of them streets or areas. I grew up all around it.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:25 PM

631 posts, read 2,450,700 times
Kaley? Kaley west of Orange Ave, maybe....but ANYTHING west of Orange Ave and South of Downtown is crap until you get to Dr. Phillips. East Kayley is as nice as nice can be.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:02 AM

22 posts, read 151,006 times
Thank you blueoktober, I'm an East Side Kaley resident and I love my neighborhood! But you are absolutely right, stay away from anything West of Orange Ave. However, with the new Super Target going in on Orange avenue I think we are going to see the side streets on the West side of Orange start to gradually turn, it's already happening a little bit (not too much). Investors will start picking up those small historic homes and doing tear downs or rehabs.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:31 AM

631 posts, read 2,450,700 times
I recently moved to Lake Davis, (On Summerlin Ave) and I agree with you - I love this area. I do believe when Super Target moves in, some areas will boom. I am loving it right now because it's in transition and so it isn't that congested!

I have lived all around Orlando over the years and this area is by far my favorite.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:45 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
Funny how Targets help areas this way unlike WallyWorld. Places on this blog singlehandedly attribute the crime spree in Metrowest to the WalMart on Kirkman Rd.
I do love me some Target though and am excited for the new one at SoDo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: