U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 11,755 times
Question How are the Insects in Orlando

I recently interviewed for a job in Orlando. But, I noticed a lot of screened in sun porches on the houses. How bad are the insects and what types are prevalent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2006, 01:35 AM

64 posts, read 150,948 times
Default Insects in Orlando

I used to live in FL (currently in CA), but my family still lives in the Orlando area. The bugs are....let's see, how can I put this....HUGE. Palmetto bugs (giant roaches that have wings and can fly!), mosquitos (the state bird), June bugs (more of a nuisance than anything else - you will find them on the grill of your car should you decide to drive down there), and the usual flies, bees and wasps, ants (lots of those), etc. The screened in patio thing is nice, because you can sit on your patio on a summer night and stick your tongue out at the mosquitos who are on the other side wishing they could get in there to have a bite. Hope this helps!

Old 07-16-2006, 06:42 AM

799 posts, read 2,082,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollbolin
I recently interviewed for a job in Orlando. But, I noticed a lot of screened in sun porches on the houses. How bad are the insects and what types are prevalent?

Mesquitos! Screen porches are great. Palmetto bugs (commonly known as cockroaches) are plentiful. However, I have a great exterminator that comes quarterly for a total cost of $210 a year and rarely see a live bug.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:20 PM

1,682 posts, read 5,805,499 times
I almost never see a bug and we swim at night with no pool screen. I guess it depends on your location and what kind of bug treatment is done.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:22 AM

27 posts, read 126,635 times
Oh yes, plametto bugs so big, they can swallow you! LOL... just kidding.

They are much bigger then the roaches you see elsewhere, however if you take care of your grass and spray you will not have a problem with insects.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 21,165 times
So the palmetto bugs are as big or bigger as water bugs, correct? And thanks for clearing up that you don't see alot of them when you have an exterminator come out! That reassures me.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:01 PM

3,207 posts, read 3,931,893 times
One good tip is to avoid putting dense landscaping that provides dark shaded pockets during the day. Often times those are the places that serve as mega cities to the insects to hide during the day. Than at night they come out and can be a real nuisance. Also avoid leaving standing water around.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:58 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,705,321 times
Ants and palmetto bugs seem to be the worst problem in Orlando. At least the ones that get into your house.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,705,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomom View Post
So the palmetto bugs are as big or bigger as water bugs, correct? And thanks for clearing up that you don't see alot of them when you have an exterminator come out! That reassures me.

You can goto home depot and do your own bug control and probably better then the company's that charge you an arm and leg.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:40 PM

67 posts, read 182,136 times
Do "mist off" systems really work? We will be looking at a house that uses that. There is a pool/patio, but no screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando