U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2007, 10:01 PM
 
94 posts, read 279,779 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Our house is on the market in Eustis ... we have been listed for a month now and no action yet !!!! Any suggetsions on to help sell .... I know the market is slow and for buyers so I don't want to hear whining just good suggestions on how to get interest ...we are in the historic part 2000 plus sq ft and priced at appraisal. thanks. and good luck to others trying to sell !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2007, 08:13 AM
 
1,418 posts, read 8,904,382 times
Reputation: 899
One month isn't that long, I'd first just try being patient for at least two to three more months. The days of getting your house sold in one to two months are gone for the near future.

Make sure that it is listed in the MLS.

Make sure that your house has "curb appeal" - professional landscaping and some outdoor sprucing up can help.

Make sure that your house shows well inside - a good realtor should also be a good decorator. If your realtor is good at this, follow his/her advice unquestionably regarding decor. Now is not the time to show off your collections or "unique" decorating tastes.

Eustis is a slow moving market right now. I hate to say this, but listing it at a price based on an appraisal that is even a few months old may be too high to generate quick interest. Appraisals don't mean much when people start dumping their houses just to get out from under their loans. So, if you need to move your house quickly and time is not on your side, do the obvious - lower the price.

You can offer owner financing, but most people aren't in the position to offer this, nor do they have the temperament to deal with late payments and deadbeats.

Is the house listed in the local paper classifieds? Or in any other publications? What is your realtor doing for you as far as marketing, other than just sticking it in the MLS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Weston, FL and Vero Beach, Fl
2,940 posts, read 11,520,723 times
Reputation: 2036
Don't feel bad. I live in south Florida in an area called Weston. There are 3 hourses on our block of 9 houses - one has been on the market 8 months and doesn't have any curb appeal. The other, which does have curb appeal, has been on the market 4 months. The last one, the nicest of the 3, 3 weeks. And they are all priced for the current market.

Very, very little is moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 AM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,495 posts, read 32,236,508 times
Reputation: 15007
DadofTwo~have you done anything besides list it with a realtor? Have you tried FSBO? Also, toward the bottom of this site, there is a classified section and you're free to list your home there.

But like the two previous posters said, a month really isn't a long time. Two years ago it'd probably be sold by now, but it seems it's a totally different market now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
800 posts, read 2,666,134 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
One month isn't that long, I'd first just try being patient for at least two to three more months. The days of getting your house sold in one to two months are gone for the near future.

Make sure that it is listed in the MLS.

Make sure that your house has "curb appeal" - professional landscaping and some outdoor sprucing up can help.

Make sure that your house shows well inside - a good realtor should also be a good decorator. If your realtor is good at this, follow his/her advice unquestionably regarding decor. Now is not the time to show off your collections or "unique" decorating tastes.

Eustis is a slow moving market right now. I hate to say this, but listing it at a price based on an appraisal that is even a few months old may be too high to generate quick interest. Appraisals don't mean much when people start dumping their houses just to get out from under their loans. So, if you need to move your house quickly and time is not on your side, do the obvious - lower the price.

You can offer owner financing, but most people aren't in the position to offer this, nor do they have the temperament to deal with late payments and deadbeats.

Is the house listed in the local paper classifieds? Or in any other publications? What is your realtor doing for you as far as marketing, other than just sticking it in the MLS?
Good advice! The average time on the market is nearly 100 days. The key is the pricing. If the home's priced well, it will sell.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 04:13 PM
 
670 posts, read 1,403,662 times
Reputation: 269
Talking One suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofTwo View Post
Our house is on the market in Eustis ...
Any suggestions on to help sell ....
One suggestion: lower the price.

Forget the "appraisal." For the first time in years (way back to the 1970s) appraisers are checking off the box titled "are prices declining in the area?"

By the way, I live in Mt. Dora and know builders here. "Slow" is an understatement. The president of Lake County builders association said it was a "depression."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofTwo View Post
.... I know the market is slow and for buyers so I don't want to hear whining just good suggestions on how to get interest ...
...
Same suggestion: lower the price.

_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 06:08 PM
 
Location: downtown Orlando
22 posts, read 136,242 times
Reputation: 25
Prichard is right on. An appraisal means very little, if nothing in this market. I hope that your realtor did not suggest listing your home at appraisal price? The key to selling property in this market is price, curb appeal, and the inside must be in tip-top showing condition. Even if your price is right on with the market or even under, and your house has excellent curb appeal, and shows great, you can still plan on a minimum of 4 months on the market. Just for kicks you could check out some books on Feng Shui and / or bury a statue of St. Joseph upside down in your front yard facing the house. It can't hurt anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 06:23 PM
 
4,948 posts, read 15,283,567 times
Reputation: 2814
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofTwo View Post
Our house is on the market in Eustis ... we have been listed for a month now and no action yet !!!! Any suggetsions on to help sell .... I know the market is slow and for buyers so I don't want to hear whining just good suggestions on how to get interest ...we are in the historic part 2000 plus sq ft and priced at appraisal. thanks. and good luck to others trying to sell !!!!
my thought, is to offer say 3000, towards floors, or closing, hold strong.
oh, the latest is a staging, ? me i would do the 3000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2007, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Florida
45 posts, read 189,459 times
Reputation: 26
I agree with the others, there has been homes on the market for months, alot of people are lowering prices, offering special things to the buyer, taking care of the closing costs for the buyer. Now a days if you really want to sell your home and move, then you have to do one or another. Older friends of ours lives in the Villages and they hold 2 mortgage payments, there other home just won't sell, it is very nice, they have dropped the price twice, put it up for rent for 6 months, nothing, put it back on the market with another real estate company and hoping for the best, the home has been on the market for a little over a year now. You see some people offering buyers screen tv's or a cruise and alot of other things, but that is what it has came down to now a days to sell a home, sometimes you get lucky and it doesn't take to long, but if it does then you need to consider dropping the price or other things to get someone to buy it. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2007, 10:11 AM
 
94 posts, read 279,779 times
Reputation: 25
thanks for the adv ice.....we just dropped our price by 10,000 so we hope that helps......we dol plan to offer the buyer some kind of incentive.....any ideas on ways to ,arket the house beyond the mls? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top