Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 06:59 PM

152 posts, read 622,810 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into buying a small 1700 sq ft 1926 bungalow but would want to add another 1000 sq ft of living space. Does anyone have any recommendations of general contractors that could do the job from start to finish. We have no experience with remodelling/additions, have no ideas of the costs involved and want someone reliable and honest. Also someone who has experience working with older homes. The existing home would also have to be remodelled to include a new kitchen and outdoor area. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 07:14 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Diddy, where are you located?

Old 09-13-2009, 07:16 PM

I have jus realised that I should have posted this in the Orlando forum. That is where I am looking for a contractor.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
You will want to make absolutely sure that you even can add that 1000 s/f on before buying the house. Don't take the word of the Realtor for it, many will say whatever you want to hear to close the deal. Call the building department in the city or town you are considering purchasing in before signing anything.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You will want to make absolutely sure that you even can add that 1000 s/f on before buying the house. Don't take the word of the Realtor for it, many will say whatever you want to hear to close the deal. Call the building department in the city or town you are considering purchasing in before signing anything.

I find this a poor understanding of the profession. It is not a realtors responsibility to advise on building codes. All agents I know would refer you to the folks downtown to get the definitive answer.

The reality is you might consider figuring what you would spend for the home and reno and then see if you can find a property for that sum. It would be a concern to make sure you are not overbuilding for the area so that you could ultimately get the funds out that you invested.

I'd suggest working with an agent that has a clue about investment real estate as they would see the practicality of what you are proposing. They come from the fall in love with th e deal, not the house approach. Check the comps for the neighborhood, and check the prices of the homes that are already what you want.

All the best,

Old 09-14-2009, 11:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
AONE--I understand the profession quite well, thank you. Unfortunately there are some Realtors who do not.

After sending the better part of 10 years in the mortgage industry, I've seen both the consumate professional Realtor as well as the most hideous snakeoil salesmen that crawl this planet calling themselves a Realtor.

Are you really so disillusioned as to think that no Realtor would ever lie to make a deal?

And why do they need someone working with investment properties? I saw nothing in the original post that indicates this is to be an investment property.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:42 PM

The home would be for ourselves. We are looking in Olde Windermere so properties are limited and it is the area we really want to be in. I will take your advise and call the city and find out the rules etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: