Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
They could actually learn how to design a city to provide its residents with a sense of community and pride by having museums and other attractions that do not include a roller coaster in some kiddie theme park. What they have created is a suburban sprawl wasteland that revolves around a theme park.

Will High Gas Prices Kill Suburban Sprawl? : Sustainablog
so your opinion of how a city should be wins? lol
I dunno, I don't necessarily need a museum to feel like i'm in a city

Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times
I'm really trying to figure out why you give a rat's ass? (pun intended). You don't live there, it doesn't affect you. I may not care for huge urban areas like NYC or Philadelphia or other areas up north, but you would be hard-pressed to find a thread I've started intentionally bashing these areas so I'm at a loss as to why you spend hour after hour, day after day doing the same here, you must not have much of a life or at least not a very fulfilling one anyway.

I say to each their own - I'll defend an area that means something to me but I'm not going to waste my time constantly finding fault with other areas or try to drive people away before they even get there.

I live here in a small town in North Carolina where to me there is absolutely nothing to do but if someone wants to move here (and there are a decent number of threads asking about this area on a weekly basis) I'll give them my thoughts and opinions and move on. People need to make these decisions for themselves - research is all well and good but that only gets you so far. I can research something until I'm blue in the face but if I don't actually go out and experience it, what good has it done me?

Look I'm sorry you had such a bitter, horrible, lousy experience in the Orlando area but you really need to focus on something else in your life because guess what - much of your energy is wasted on here, it certainly is on me and I'm sure there are plenty more on this board who feel the same way.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 AM

228 posts, read 536,638 times
Quote:
I agree, Orlando could learn alot from those cities.
Yes, Orlando learned what not to do. Instead of have a concrete jungle, lousy street grid system, disease infested, homeless filled mass transist system, Central FL decided to have landscape buffers (both natural and planted), meandering roads, multipurpose trails, height & density restrictions, and parks. Not everybody thinks horizontal growth is a bad thing!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:25 AM

228 posts, read 536,638 times
Quote:
They could actually learn how to design a city to provide its residents with a sense of community and pride by having museums and other attractions that do not include a roller coaster in some kiddie theme park. What they have created is a suburban sprawl wasteland that revolves around a theme park.

Will High Gas Prices Kill Suburban Sprawl? : Sustainablog
Thanks for the out dated article; real informative.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
The theme parks are great here...what a great way to get away from the weekly grind every once and a while and have a mini-vacation right here in your own city. It's a shame that not all adults can appreciate the detail and creativity that goes into those parks, though most can and do. I personally love the themed environments they create, and the exterior art design is certainly on par with most modern buildings, regardless of what construction materials were used to create it. Many of the buildings at Disney World are beautiful, as are many of the ride structures. People that don't think it is impressive on any level and treat it like some fake, corporate monstrosity are missing the fact that it takes hundreds of artists...REAL artists to design and create those things. DisneySea in Japan is probably the most stunning, eye-popping world of creativity I have ever seen, and it is a Disney creation. Orlando's parks are not on that level, but they are still impressive and cannot be dismissed as worthless kiddy parks. They are even expanding and re-creating all of Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom and I expect that, and Harry Potter at Universal, to be visually incredible.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
Yes, Orlando learned what not to do. Instead of have a concrete jungle, lousy street grid system, disease infested, homeless filled mass transist system, Central FL decided to have landscape buffers (both natural and planted), meandering roads, multipurpose trails, height & density restrictions, and parks. Not everybody thinks horizontal growth is a bad thing!
Only a developer would think that suburban sprawl has any value to the enviroment or its residents. Also your bash of mass transit is very tellling.

YouTube - Radiant City - "Suburban Landscape"

YouTube - Radiant City - Commute

Old 09-22-2009, 09:01 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Like what? How to look like a depressing cluttered urban wasteland?

Unfortunately, it seems to be getting there. All the concrete, all the roads, all the strip malls... I honestly think it's ugly.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:03 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
I'm really trying to figure out why you give a rat's ass? (pun intended). You don't live there, it doesn't affect you. I may not care for huge urban areas like NYC or Philadelphia or other areas up north, but you would be hard-pressed to find a thread I've started intentionally bashing these areas so I'm at a loss as to why you spend hour after hour, day after day doing the same here, you must not have much of a life or at least not a very fulfilling one anyway.

I say to each their own - I'll defend an area that means something to me but I'm not going to waste my time constantly finding fault with other areas or try to drive people away before they even get there.

I live here in a small town in North Carolina where to me there is absolutely nothing to do but if someone wants to move here (and there are a decent number of threads asking about this area on a weekly basis) I'll give them my thoughts and opinions and move on. People need to make these decisions for themselves - research is all well and good but that only gets you so far. I can research something until I'm blue in the face but if I don't actually go out and experience it, what good has it done me?

Look I'm sorry you had such a bitter, horrible, lousy experience in the Orlando area but you really need to focus on something else in your life because guess what - much of your energy is wasted on here, it certainly is on me and I'm sure there are plenty more on this board who feel the same way.
Justin'sMama, what part of NC are you in?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Unfortunately, it seems to be getting there. All the concrete, all the roads, all the strip malls... I honestly think it's ugly.
I agree that a lot of Orlando is ugly...all of Semoran is horrid, Colonial is bad except right next to downtown where it at least has some cool stuff. That's why I live in Maitland and really only spend time here, Winter Park, College Park, Downtown, "SoDo", and Millennia. There are nice areas to drive around along this corridor where there are tons of lakes and cool shops on Maitland, Park, Princeton, Mills, Orange, East-Central, and Edgewater. The new arena and performing arts centers will be nice additions, and those areas should improve with new shops when the recession turns around.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times
Clayton, outside of Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando