Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 13,842 times

Advertisements

To make a short story short, I am moving from Chicago to Orlando and participating in the Disney College Program from Feb - Aug. I bascially want to know how the weather is like around those months and how possible it is for hurricanes during that time. I know its a long shot on a specific answer, but the only things I've ever had to deal with in Chicago is snow, so I'm pretty much terrified of Hurricanes when I was Texas when Hurricane Erica hit. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
Feb. thru late April are pretty nice, but May through August you will feel like you're living in a sauna, the worst weather in the country IMO. Hurricanes generally do not hit either, they usually hit around September and Orlando is usually pretty safe since its inland, unless we get another Charlie. You'll be fine but I feel sorry for you coming from a real city to Orlando, aka North Miami LOL!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:19 AM

30 posts, read 126,882 times
ChicagoGirl: I've experienced northern winters. In Orlando, if a hurricane hits(remember the 3 in a row we had a couple years ago) you have nothing to really worry about in Orlando. All it is, is rain and wind for 2-3 days straight. Hell, I saw worst events up north, and those were just severe thunderstorms.

What you do have to watch out for is the slave labor at disney. It will be a love/hate thing. You will probably hate you job, be working 6 days a week, and 50+ hours, yet love meeting new people, all the parties, etc.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:25 AM

Thanks to both of you! Yeah, I know Chicago is my city, Ive lived here all my life, and will be the first time I move out of state! What are the fun things to do while in Orlando? Please do tell lol

Old 09-27-2009, 11:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
The most fun is away from the tourist areas and hanging with the locals.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:47 AM

30 posts, read 126,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogirl773 View Post
Thanks to both of you! Yeah, I know Chicago is my city, Ive lived here all my life, and will be the first time I move out of state! What are the fun things to do while in Orlando? Please do tell lol
First question is, are you bring a car with you? If no, you are limited.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another guy View Post
First question is, are you bring a car with you? If no, you are limited.
Sadly, I am not bring a car. I know that disney does have a transportation system for the cast members but hopefully I get a nice enough roommate who will let me get a ride with them lol

Old 09-27-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Feb. thru late April are pretty nice, but May through August you will feel like you're living in a sauna, the worst weather in the country IMO. Hurricanes generally do not hit either, they usually hit around September and Orlando is usually pretty safe since its inland, unless we get another Charlie. You'll be fine but I feel sorry for you coming from a real city to Orlando, aka North Miami LOL!
This may be a stupid question, but whats 'IMO'? &Ahhhh, I always thought Orlando was a fun city. Chicago is fun, but its nice to go somewhere else and have a different experience.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:15 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,744 times
Hi Chicago girl. I grew up near Chicago and have lived in Orlando since 2001--and off & on several times before that. I also worked at Disney in several different areas and trained many CP's.

Coming from Chicago you will love the early months you are here weather wise. Starting late April/early May it will start to get very hot and VERY HUMID. It is the humidity that will make you miserable--especially as we move into the summer months. It will literally feel like a steambath. Don't count on our almost daily summer showers to cool things off. They just make it more humid when the sun comes out after the rain.

As for hurricanes, you probably won't have to deal with one. Hurricane season runs June 1-Nov. Most likely to occur in late summer after the ocean/gulf water gets heated up. However, as the above posters have stated, inland in Orlando, they are not much of a threat--just can bring a lot of rain. What you will notice that will be different down here is the lightening. It is intense and very different than lightening up north.

My expereince with CP's is that they either get a good role and love their job--or they get one they hate. It almost seems as if there is no inbetween for them--so it will be a love/hate relationship. Your social experience should be great--as you will be around tons of kids who are just like you. You will find yourself bonding and doing things with your suitemates and coworkers--so don't sweat that part of it. Plenty of CP's will have cars. Disney does have a transport system that will get you to a lot of places you want/need to go. Orlando also has a masss transit bus system for times you want to go elsewhere.

Disney will do an excellent job of getting you oriented to the area and there will be tons of resources available to you. Take advantage of what you can. Some days may be hell, but the few short months that you will be here will be great to have on your resume. I found that when I left the Orlando area, having Disney on my resume put my foot into a lot of doors. It doesn't mean as much in this area because everyone here know more of what it really means, but once you leave central Florida--it has a whole different meaning.

Some CP's will extend, some will remain with the company and some will go back home/college and resume their life.

Good Luck to you!

Old 09-27-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
Hi Chicago girl. I grew up near Chicago and have lived in Orlando since 2001--and off & on several times before that. I also worked at Disney in several different areas and trained many CP's.

Coming from Chicago you will love the early months you are here weather wise. Starting late April/early May it will start to get very hot and VERY HUMID. It is the humidity that will make you miserable--especially as we move into the summer months. It will literally feel like a steambath. Don't count on our almost daily summer showers to cool things off. They just make it more humid when the sun comes out after the rain.

As for hurricanes, you probably won't have to deal with one. Hurricane season runs June 1-Nov. Most likely to occur in late summer after the ocean/gulf water gets heated up. However, as the above posters have stated, inland in Orlando, they are not much of a threat--just can bring a lot of rain. What you will notice that will be different down here is the lightening. It is intense and very different than lightening up north.

My expereince with CP's is that they either get a good role and love their job--or they get one they hate. It almost seems as if there is no inbetween for them--so it will be a love/hate relationship. Your social experience should be great--as you will be around tons of kids who are just like you. You will find yourself bonding and doing things with your suitemates and coworkers--so don't sweat that part of it. Plenty of CP's will have cars. Disney does have a transport system that will get you to a lot of places you want/need to go. Orlando also has a masss transit bus system for times you want to go elsewhere.

Disney will do an excellent job of getting you oriented to the area and there will be tons of resources available to you. Take advantage of what you can. Some days may be hell, but the few short months that you will be here will be great to have on your resume. I found that when I left the Orlando area, having Disney on my resume put my foot into a lot of doors. It doesn't mean as much in this area because everyone here know more of what it really means, but once you leave central Florida--it has a whole different meaning.

Some CP's will extend, some will remain with the company and some will go back home/college and resume their life.

Good Luck to you!
wow thanks! I have been put into the Main Entrance Operations. Mainly when i did the interview she tried pushing me into other areas for a higher chance of acceptance. I dont mind it, and I know Chicago gets hot, BUT I'm sure not as hot as Orlando. Thanks for the info though. You really helped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando