U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:11 PM

26,589 posts, read 53,080,740 times

Advertisements

It took me about 15 years to make the move. I researched areas throughout the state that I was interested in. Once I decided that I did indeed want to be in the Orlando area (I also strongly considered St. Pete and the WPB/Jupiter areas) it took me another three YEARS to find the right area, and then another year+ after that to find the right builder and neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 01:56 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,045,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaPoo View Post
Very nice! I assume these are towns directly surrounding Orlando??

Thanks!
Yes, they are all suburbs of Orlando, they're no more than 20 mins outside Orlando's city center.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,361,029 times
Well, we didn't have that kind of time, we had a few months in which to decide as we had a really good job offer on the table. We did as much research as humanly possible in a short amount of time.

The key factor tho, was, the breadwinner HAD A JOB upon moving here. Actually, before moving. He actually was commuting for six months before the rest of us were able to follow him down. I have time to finish what I need for my job training down here, and our bills are more than paid for with his salary.

IF you should decide you want to come here, nursing is a job that is in demand (as far as I can tell, check the job postings on that to be certain for the next several months tho) and can you LIVE on that income? Hospitality jobs are very hard to come by...I would believe that includes cooks...? He may need time, much time to find a job.

I agree with a lot of what Annerk says. Where is your family...are you close to them? Will you be moving physically close to them as well?

We have been living here since July 2 and have yet to see a theme park...we have been too busy trying to figure out the mundane everyday stuff still. School, sports teams for the kid, scouts, where is the grocery store? The doctors, the drug stores.....how does my pool work? cutting the grass, all the thing we took for granted up North we have to figure out down here. Heck, I can't even figure out what all the light switches in my house are for yet...OY!

IF I were in your shoes, I might wait until after delivery of your baby,...you have all your doctors set up there...I would HATE to have to seek all that out down here that quickly. Obstetrician, hospital for delivery, pediatrician, etc....especially that close to delivery! I shudder at the thought!!

But for information, we moved to Oviedo, very good schools. We also looked into Lake Mary, Winter Springs, and Winter Park (could not afford much there...lol) These are all suburbs to the East / North-East of Orlando in Seminole County (Winter Park is half in Seminole County and half in Orange County)

Old 09-28-2009, 02:19 PM

The OP is a nurses assistant, an aide, not a nurse. Those jobs pay $8-9 an hour around here, not anything to live on.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:24 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,361,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The OP is a nurses assistant, an aide, not a nurse. Those jobs pay $8-9 an hour around here, not anything to live on.
Yup...lol...I can't read apparently...thanks for the correction! Maybe, the OP may want to consider going back to school for a while and getting that nursing certificate or degree up north and then moving down with a skill set that is in more demand down here and pays a little better? That could be a better option to achieve the desired end result.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:43 PM

37 posts, read 55,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Please, please, please. Your comments show that you are one of the many that move here and make a huge mistake doing it. "Quick move" and "vacation 24/7" show that you haven't thought this through and and aren't making an informed decision.

When you live here it's the same as living anywhere else. You have to work, pay the bills, clean the house, do the grocery shopping. Houskeeping doesn't make your bed every day, and eating out for every meal isn't practical, either. It's not Disney World every day.

Why on earth would you pack up your family and move 1400 miles from home knowing NOTHING about an area (as is evident by your last post.) You say you have family in the area--where? They obviously aren't that close, or you'd be asking them about where to move, not a bunch of random strangers. Don't count on them to babysit if they live on the other side of the state or if they are second cousins you haven't spoken to since your great-aunts funeral six years ago, it's just not realistic.

DO NOT come here in the way you are looking to do so.

Your child is so young that frankly he doesn't know if he lives in Minerva or Manhattan, and at this point in his life it doesn't matter.

Take the next 2-3 years, research the area (and others in the south if you truly only want to move for warmer weather) and make an inteligent, informed decision. Don't end up as another miserable statistic, and there are plenty of them--people who move to Florida--especially Orlando--after vacationing here a few times, expecting their lives in this area to be a never ending Fantasyland, and then get here and find it's so very far from the truth. Any problems you have anywhere else are going to follow you wherever you move.

Bwahaha...Classic.

First, by saying a "quick move" I mean, I have thought about this for years, both my Husband and I have before we even met each other. We just need to move quick because I am having another child.

Obviously I don't think it's a vacation, especially when I say it wouldnt be, but if you live where I live, any place with a park is a freakin vacation...lol.

And, please read my posts before you comment...I don't work, I won't have to work, and doing daily chores won't break my heart. Im smart enough to realize no matter who you are, those things follow wherever you go...EVEN on vacation!!!!

My family lives IN Orlando, asking random people a question does not mean they live across the state...I like to get a range of ideas from different people, is that a horrible idea? No, in fact I would think that would be a better idea than relying on a few people. And again, seeing as you like to randomly go off as if you know everything, my family that lives there would be my father, grandmother, and aunt from one side, and an Aunt, 2 Uncles, and 2 cousins from my Mothers side...Which I all saw in April when I visited...VERY realistic, thank you.

My child obviously doesn't care where She lives, however her mother does care where she goes to school. Maybe you are not a parent, but I never even said this has to do with her living near Mickey or anything. Its all about a good school, which we cannot find in my area.

And lastly, the only problem we have here is cold weather...I can guarantee the snow won't follow me there.

I understand you may come across many people who do make stupid decisions moving to the area, but do realize not every person wanting to move to the area is making a dumb move, whether they realize the surrounding cities of Orlando or not. You do not know me, or any other person, so don't act as though every person is the same. Thank you!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 PM

OK, so you've got family in this area.

You might not have to work now, but can your family survive on a cooks wages in this area? Probably not.

You said you were planning on renting for a year, so schools really don't matter at this point. If your husband can find a job that pays enough to support you, you can then begin to look for a place to live. I wouldn't even bother really looking until he finds a job, because if he ends up in Clermont you don't want to be living in Waterford Lakes, and if he ends up at Disney you don't want to be in Oveido.

And I hate to tell you, but I grew up in upstate NY (north of Albany) and if you think the schools are bad there, you'll be ready to shoot yourself down here. Good schools here compare with nothing more than barely average schools in Upstate NY. And yes, I am a parent, but I waitied until my son graduated high school before moving to Florida, mostly due to the education system here not being as good as where we were living.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 PM

LOL...I love this. I appreciate the actual answers to my questions. IF you read my first post, you would all realize that we are NOT moving until my Husband has a job, that would be just stupid. And I do not plan to work, I am a stay at home Mother and will be for all of my children.

This is my second child, I have already researched doctors, hospitals, pediatricians....I would never just move not knowing what is going to happen. Because again, that is STUPID.

I don't know why everyone assumes so much, but I can tell you this is not about Mickey Mouse and Cinderella's castle. And I did say I planned to rent a year before I buy, so obviously that would mean I am not sticking myself to one area.

I have not even looked into CNA jobs, but that is very sad if they get paid $9/hour. In Ny, the job requires a license, training, and once you are done you start off at about $13/hour....Seems their CNA's are a little un-appreciated.

And WOW...I do have to say some of you seem very negative. Someone asks a simple question about schools and employment, and you go off about something else, that frankly you will have no impact on.

So, if you wouldn't mind, please refer to my questions and leave the extras for someone else.

Oh, and Annerk...15 years??? Seriously, that is excessive.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:03 PM

[quote=annerk;10957800]OK, so you've got family in this area.

You might not have to work now, but can your family survive on a cooks wages in this area? Probably not.

You said you were planning on renting for a year, so schools really don't matter at this point. If your husband can find a job that pays enough to support you, you can then begin to look for a place to live. I wouldn't even bother really looking until he finds a job, because if he ends up in Clermont you don't want to be living in Waterford Lakes, and if he ends up at Disney you don't want to be in Oveido.

And I hate to tell you, but I grew up in upstate NY (north of Albany) and if you think the schools are bad there, you'll be ready to shoot yourself down here. Good schools here compare with nothing more than barely average schools in Upstate NY. And yes, I am a parent, but I waitied until my son graduated high school before moving to Florida, mostly due to the education system here not being as good as where we were living.[/quote]

See, right there....That was all I asked. Thank you.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:06 PM

429 posts, read 941,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaPoo View Post
And WOW...I do have to say some of you seem very negative. Someone asks a simple question about schools and employment, and you go off about something else, that frankly you will have no impact on.

So, if you wouldn't mind, please refer to my questions and leave the extras for someone else.
yea....thats what this forum is about, many many people have a deep hatred for Orlando, others like annerk are just very cautious, which is fine. Don't expect a parade of "please go to Orlando" Welcome to the forums, but take a lot of what people say here with a grain of salt and just as long as you do your research, i'm sure you will be fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or