U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,152,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Single payer? Aren't you the one who always complains about "extremely low wages"?
"But a single-payer system would produce the biggest increase in jobs and wages. The reason, DeMoro said, is that "the broadest economic benefits directly accrue from the actual delivery and provision of healthcare, not the purchase of insurance."

Single Payer Healthcare Reform Would be Major Stimulus for Economy | United for National Healthcare | Bellingham, WA

Old 10-03-2009, 11:53 AM

16,089 posts, read 19,560,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
"But a single-payer system would produce the biggest increase in jobs and wages. The reason, DeMoro said, is that "the broadest economic benefits directly accrue from the actual delivery and provision of healthcare, not the purchase of insurance."

Single Payer Healthcare Reform Would be Major Stimulus for Economy | United for National Healthcare | Bellingham, WA
Single Payer would change the face of the country,
1.Health care would no longer be Employer Based, the employer would no longer have to worry about that.
2. Workmans Comp would no longer have to cover Medical just loss of pay.
3. Auto Insurance would no longer have to cover Medical, only property damage
4. Homeowners would no longer have to cover Medical Liability

Old 10-03-2009, 09:02 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,314,740 times
Quote:

Ok...the entire quote....

"Overall, every direct healthcare dollar creates nearly three additional dollars in the U.S. economy. In current form, healthcare:
  • Generates 45 million jobs, directly and in other industries.
  • Accounts for 10.5 percent of all U.S. jobs and 12.1 percent of all U.S. wages.
  • Totals 9.2 percent of the nation's Gross National Product.
  • Contributes about 25 percent of all federal tax revenues. Federal, state, and local taxes from the healthcare sector in 2006 added up to $824 billion.
All those numbers would rise dramatically through comprehensive healthcare reform. But a single-payer system would produce the biggest increase in jobs and wages. The reason, DeMoro said, is that "the broadest economic benefits directly accrue from the actual delivery and provision of healthcare, not the purchase of insurance.""

Of course, in the scenario he is presenting, Insurance provides the least amount of economic benefit and of course a single payer system would provide the broadest benefit because it would be the government, and we all KNOW what good stewards of our tax dollars they are. They are already THE SINGLE LARGEST EMPLOYER IN THE COUNTRY! How is that!!!??? They should not be. You want to make them even larger? Shame on you.

Your article also states the following...

Expanding Medicare to include the uninsured, and these on Medicaid or employer-sponsored health plans, and expanding coverage for those with limited Medicare, would have the following immediate impacts:
  • Create 2,613,495 million new permanent good-paying jobs (slightly exceeding the number of jobs lost in 2008)
  • Boost the economy with $317 billion in increased business and public revenues
  • Add $100 billion in employee compensation
  • Infuse public budgets with $44 billion in new tax revenues
I am hoping the number of jobs they are claiming is a typo, because I don't even know what that number is....2,613,495 million? Add 100 billion in employee compensation? How/what is that?

And I doubt they discuss how many jobs will be lost in the insurance industry against what they 'claim' will be gained....I have doubts about their numbers...I am in healthcare.

Then let me discuss how WE are to pay for this...it's not free. Again, IT'S NOT FREE HEALTHCARE EVERYONE! Why do we have to insure everyone? I suggest we don't. Say, for example, John is self employed and makes enough money that he has an HSA (health savings account) (look it up, pre tax or tax ded monies used for healthcare) that he uses for his medical bills. He has plenty of cash in there and he has savings. He is financially sound and responsible. He pays his regular taxes.

The suggestion by Congress is that he MUST take the government plan/insurance or buy insurance OR he must pay the TAX of the equivalent amount of money (amounts I see suggested are in the $3k range). THIS is why the insurance companies are not complaining...the government is going to make you buy insurance or be taxed in equal part. This person should, I suggest, be left alone.

As for your single payer system, talk to some veterans and see how they like their government administered plans, treatment, doctors and care. VA hospitals are horrible, the care is lousy, and it is a disgrace how our government treats them with the insurance coverage they are provided. That is what the rest of America will be rationed out with this national healthcare...hope you like it.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:51 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,152,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Ok...the entire quote....

"Overall, every direct healthcare dollar creates nearly three additional dollars in the U.S. economy. In current form, healthcare:
  • Generates 45 million jobs, directly and in other industries.
  • Accounts for 10.5 percent of all U.S. jobs and 12.1 percent of all U.S. wages.
  • Totals 9.2 percent of the nation's Gross National Product.
  • Contributes about 25 percent of all federal tax revenues. Federal, state, and local taxes from the healthcare sector in 2006 added up to $824 billion.
All those numbers would rise dramatically through comprehensive healthcare reform. But a single-payer system would produce the biggest increase in jobs and wages. The reason, DeMoro said, is that "the broadest economic benefits directly accrue from the actual delivery and provision of healthcare, not the purchase of insurance.""

Of course, in the scenario he is presenting, Insurance provides the least amount of economic benefit and of course a single payer system would provide the broadest benefit because it would be the government, and we all KNOW what good stewards of our tax dollars they are. They are already THE SINGLE LARGEST EMPLOYER IN THE COUNTRY! How is that!!!??? They should not be. You want to make them even larger? Shame on you.

Your article also states the following...

Expanding Medicare to include the uninsured, and these on Medicaid or employer-sponsored health plans, and expanding coverage for those with limited Medicare, would have the following immediate impacts:
  • Create 2,613,495 million new permanent good-paying jobs (slightly exceeding the number of jobs lost in 2008)
  • Boost the economy with $317 billion in increased business and public revenues
  • Add $100 billion in employee compensation
  • Infuse public budgets with $44 billion in new tax revenues
I am hoping the number of jobs they are claiming is a typo, because I don't even know what that number is....2,613,495 million? Add 100 billion in employee compensation? How/what is that?

And I doubt they discuss how many jobs will be lost in the insurance industry against what they 'claim' will be gained....I have doubts about their numbers...I am in healthcare.

Then let me discuss how WE are to pay for this...it's not free. Again, IT'S NOT FREE HEALTHCARE EVERYONE! Why do we have to insure everyone? I suggest we don't. Say, for example, John is self employed and makes enough money that he has an HSA (health savings account) (look it up, pre tax or tax ded monies used for healthcare) that he uses for his medical bills. He has plenty of cash in there and he has savings. He is financially sound and responsible. He pays his regular taxes.

The suggestion by Congress is that he MUST take the government plan/insurance or buy insurance OR he must pay the TAX of the equivalent amount of money (amounts I see suggested are in the $3k range). THIS is why the insurance companies are not complaining...the government is going to make you buy insurance or be taxed in equal part. This person should, I suggest, be left alone.

As for your single payer system, talk to some veterans and see how they like their government administered plans, treatment, doctors and care. VA hospitals are horrible, the care is lousy, and it is a disgrace how our government treats them with the insurance coverage they are provided. That is what the rest of America will be rationed out with this national healthcare...hope you like it.
The Case for Universal Health Care in the United States

Old 10-04-2009, 07:21 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,314,740 times
Quote:
DailyJournalist...can you discuss a single point I have made? It does not seem to me that you can?

I will address the points in your new article...one MAJOR flaw

quoting
  1. Myth Five: Universal Health Care Is Socialized Medicine And Would Be Unacceptable To The Public
  • Fact One: Single payer universal health care is not socialized medicine. It is health care payment system, not a health care delivery system. Health care providers would be in fee for service practice, and would not be employees of the government, which would be socialized medicine. Single payer health care is not socialized medicine, any more than the public funding of education is socialized education, or the public funding of the defense industry is socialized defense.
  • Fact Two: Repeated national and state polls have shown that between 60 and 75% of Americans would like a universal health care system (see The Harris Poll #78, October 20, 2005)
  • Conclusion: Single payer, universal health care is not socialized medicine and would be preferred by the majority of the citizens of this country
This is a FALSE conclusion...it is faulty. To assume it is not socialized medicine anymore than education is or defense is (both of which have competition in the free marketplace - the goverment is making itself the SOLE INSURER AND SOLE REGULATOR AND SOLE ENFORCER OF POLICY - therefore eliminating competition and the marketplace. It also, by its nature of having LIMITED FINANCIAL RESOURCES be rationed, which means (and the HR 3200 itself STATES) that when the critical number of people have been enrolled, they will put folks on a waiting list until they can afford to place more citizens on the program. I have read the majority of the 1000 pages of the bill myself. And the Polls show it to be unacceptable in its present for of a sinle payer system to the MAJORITY of Americans, so no matter how they want to dice their belief here, their conclusion is false. Why do you think even the Great Presiden Obama has dropped not only his ambition for the single payer system but for the public option as well at this time? Because his approval numbers are tanking big time by his trying to force it through. Even he knows it is not that popular as the bill stands , so he is trying to figure out how to tweak it so it is more acceptable to the general public.

Listen, I am not totally against some form of change. I believe our seniors need better care, and our military needs much better care. There should be some type of stop-gap measures for the unemployed, perhaps the underemployed. But let's also face the fact that there are folks out there that simply don't want to pay money for healthcare. They can afford it but wish to spend money on that vacation or that flat screen TV instead. I DON'T want to be taxed into oblivion for that. I work hard. I don't want to end up turning over half of it so that others can be lazy. I already pay over 35%. I pay a large portion for my healthcare and happily so.

I am not a person to advocate regulation, but in this case, that might really be the place to begin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or