U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:20 PM

14,506 posts, read 22,064,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
I was thinking the same. Miami sounds far more like NYC (Manhattan) where I grew up than any other place in Florida. I only passed through it last January, so I really couldn't tell. But "big" cities do tend to have a lot of similarities.

I still like Miami (to visit ) like NYC- I am not yet a millionaire - so its nice to visit for culture, restaurants etc.

HockeyMom- you seem very level headed and not starry eyed about S Florida. You will do well then (plus I think you had mentioned you were living there temporarily anyway? )

What is sad is young families in their late 20's or 30's just picking up and plunking down in Florida. That would be the equivalent in NY of signing a lease for an 8k a month penthouse when your salary is 20k after being a freshly scrubbbed college graduate (who isnt?)

S Florida does NOT have a job market. If you have plenty of capital- enjoy. But if you are (as a few have posted) a cashier working for mediocre wage up north, do not think S Florida will be a mecca. It simply isnt. I am amazed at people who ignore the economy.

sunny

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 05-08-2007 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 PM

565 posts, read 1,814,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I don't have any problem with New Yorkers, so long's they stay down there in Miami Beach where they belong. Leave the rest of Florida alone.

Just remember a true "New Yorker" in Central Florida stands out, just as bad as a hillbilly from the Uplands of South Carolina would stand out in Brooklyn. Y'all come down hear wearing your NY Mets T-shirts and hats, big gold jewlery everywhere, gaudy cloths and thick makeup on women; go into stores and start yelling at each other from 1/2 way across the store; scream at your children, but let them run around like idiots.

Then, not only do y'all speak with these real thick accents, but you curse like sailors - even around children, are snotty to everyone that even looks your way, and think it's "cool" to talk like ghetto dwellers. When I hear some idiot with a loud booming radio from 1/4 mile away, it turns out that more often than not, if they are white, they have all kinds of New York stickers all over their POS car. The bottom line is that we southern folks preceive you as having no couth, no breeding, absolutely no respect for our culture, obnoxious about imposing your culture on us natives, having runny "talkety-talk" mouths, loose morals, and a total lack of any parenting skills.
First, let me say that the stereotyping on this thread is incredibly offensive, as I'm from Connecticut and have been accused of being a "rude New Yorker" while visiting Tampa. I was walking into the store while on my cell phone and a woman held the door for me, I nodded and smiled politely at her and she looked at me horrified and said "you can't even say THANK YOU? You must be one of those rude NYers" and stormed off. I was mortified because I'm a polite person who fell victim to the blatant ignorance and stupidity of some of you locals down there. For the record, my doctor's office called me to reschedule an appointment so it was an important phone call.

Now for you Prichard. Your unintelligent post doesn't amuse me as it has done so for other "easy to entertain" people, largely because everything you say is untrue. Most of us don't like the Mets (unless you're from Brooklyn). We're all Yankees. Big gold jewelry? Maybe in Brooklyn or the Bronx, but the vast majority of us? No way. Thick makeup on women? Last I checked, NYC was the fashion capital of the US. And have you been to Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando?

Stereotyping can go both ways, you know. If I sat here and called all Floridians trashy NASCAR fans who drink nothing better than Bud Light and consider a nice dinner to be Chilis or Applebees, I would prove myself to be an ignorant SOB. I can say you have the accent that most in the Northeast would laugh at and consider "hick", and I could say that you people have more homes on wheels than the state of New York has automobiles. I can say you're tacky, boring and a good percentage of the population has a mullet, while the remaining percentage has multiple tattoos. Many have both.

Is this mean? Yes, it's horribly cruel to group people together in this fashion. Were you offended? I hope you were because then you'll understand what it feels like to be a product of Manhattan and go anywhere in the country only to be branded as a rude, arrogant jerk. And if you want to talk about parenting, go to a Family board and start a thread on that.

Without snowbirds, you might all be an uncultured population leading very sheltered lives.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:36 AM

1,571 posts, read 3,466,478 times
For some reason there are alot of people down here from Jersey/New York.. and fresh off the boat, so to speak. I've seen alot more of it in the last few years. It used to be there were alot of people from Kentucky or Tennesee- that was the big states for "immigrants", so to speak (John Morgan J.D. is from Kentucky), and they generally fit in well enough. I've know a few people from the lower midwest or from Tennessee down here, and there aren't as many cultural differences. Now it's people from the northeast in big droves. And they don't mesh well with the traditional Cracker or older northeast-immigrants (Winter Park was actually started by people from New England. My mom has two friends who were born in Goldenrod who are natives but their parents were from Sweden and Norway... so the area has a long tradition of not everybody being a "deep south Cracker").

Floridians in my experience are traditionally layed back, very friendly, and valuing things like honesty but especially manners and quiet civility. They tend to value a more "Stoic" outlook than Epicurean; religion plays a big part in their lives, and it's usually a Southern baptist, Methodist, or Lutheran persuasion. Things like smack talking, profanity, wild gesticulations (that many northerners are guilty of), whining, complaining, etc. won't engender alot of fondness. They are more likely to be conservative but not as much as other parts of the south, and they are more open to people from other parts of the country, since Florida is not the oldest of states (just before the Civil War- many states on the east coast are far older) and was largely developed with money from the North (especially in the 30's, but especially after WWII and Disney). It might also surprise alot of people to know that Florida is an agricultural state, specificly cattle, and Florida has a cowboy/frontier tradition of its own, particularly in the Central Florida area extending all the way over just short of Tampa. The two most important crops in Florida are citrus (in the south and central) and tobacco (in the north, but this is declining) followed by sugar cane in the south.

But it has changed alot. As you get away from Orlando and get out into Eustis, Claremont, Sanford, you see less and less of the "Orlandoan" and more of the traditional Floridians.

Oh yeah, and real southerners eat their grits with just butter and salt, sometimes ham/bacon bits (sugar and cream is sort of a no-no, which is funny because that's how they eat them in Oklahoma, where my parents are from), and it definitely is a mark of wheather you have lived here long or not if you have ever eaten it. A real buffet down here will have it almost always.

Last edited by Magnulus; 05-09-2007 at 03:46 AM..

Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM

1,418 posts, read 8,904,382 times
Well lookey here, Jeremeyk, I recon I'm going to have to set you right on a few things:

Quote:
If I sat here and called all Floridians trashy NASCAR fans who drink nothing better than Bud Light
Bud Light is for you health-nut Californians - we drink Budwiser and Miller High Life - and for your information, Miller is the "Champaign of Beers"! It says so, right on the lable.

Quote:
and consider a nice dinner to be Chilis or Applebees

Now, you're really showing your New-York ignorance. Neither one of these places you mention has a pit bar-b-que. If we want fine dining, we only go to Soney's, Ceciels, Oh-Boy's, or Bubba Lou's. That other stuff is for your people.

Quote:
I can say you have the accent that most in the Northeast would laugh at and consider "hick"
I've been to New York. You people walk around so scared of everything, if you look a stranger square in the eyes in Manhatten, they quickley look away and cower like a scared kitty cat. They plumb just about crap their pants if they see a rebel flag together with a big dumb crazy "hick".

Quote:
and I could say that you people have more homes on wheels than the state of New York has automobiles

Well, I can't argue with the truth, can I?

Quote:
I can say you're tacky

You know what that means, people - they don't like "Bucky", my 12 point buck hanging on my wall.

Quote:
boring
and New Yorkers don't like the outdoors, hunting, fishing, or anything that ain't shopping or sipping coffee with other fruitcakes.

Quote:
and a good percentage of the population has a mullet

Now, that's just plain wrong - I shaved mine off nearly 7 years ago. But, they are coming back in style, you know.

Quote:
while the remaining percentage has multiple tattoos
No, that's you New Yoricans that have funky gold teeth, "tats" everywhere, gang signs, baggy pants, Mets hats worn sideways, eyebrow piercings, and a big shiny gold Fauxlex. You really need to get out more.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:49 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,200,262 times
"No, that's you New Yoricans that have funky gold teeth, "tats" everywhere, gang signs, baggy pants, Mets hats worn sideways, eyebrow piercings, and a big shiny gold Fauxlex. You really need to get out more."

i seem 'em everyday in east orlando. i am totally outnumbered here, or so it seems.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:13 PM

97 posts, read 329,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAMIMANEFOSHO View Post
I LIVE IN ORLANDO FLORIDA AND IT SEEMS THAT A WHOLE LOT OF PEOPLE PUT THE WHOLE STATE OF FLORIDA DOWN AND ALWAYS SAY THEY ARE TOUGHER OR THERE'S NOTHING TO DO HERE. YOU GUESSED IT THEY ARE ALL FROM NEW YORK.

Well i wish these people would read statistics on crime and stop being so negative about there not being a dinner to eat at or clubs that close at 3am. Come on there are lots of warmer places to move but they for some reason choose Florida. Well i know why. They just want to prove to everyone that thier lives had more going on than anyone else and they use the place they grew up (NEW YORK) for its name and its facts and urban legends just to convince us all to experience thier own life. Well this is not possible for someone to have an experience of a place that they have never been so if u wanna keep wasting your lives trying to prove you're the best and your ways are better or you are tougher than anywhere else instead of actually living your own life then more power to ya, but please stop this because what your lifestyles in New York have done is produce a sense of arrogance and made my town alot different than in the past.....New Yorkers are making Orlando a place that people can't be friendly anymore and more and more people are giving in to these ways.....let me know how New Yorkers have affected your community if you have a large population of them moving to your town or city.....am i alone on this?

I made aquaintance with a guy from New York years back. It was amazing how he used to call Orlando 'hickville' or 'the woods' while trying to say NY is awesome. He was always wearing "I love NY" shirts and had this croocked NY Yankees baseball hat on.

This guy was so NY, that he was cussing and yelling "jerk" "dumbass" out to people in a small Publix parking lot on Conroy. He must have thought the Publix lot was the NJ turnpike or something.

I can see this poster here is upset. NYers came to fla and want to tell everyone NY is better.... well guess what? If it is that much better GO BACK!

But do they? No. They stay, bit*h about it all day long, and ruin it for everyone.

Note: strangely enough sunnyhelena says on her profile she is from NY, but she has a very positive attitude and her posts are very coherent and very honest. Maybe not all NYers are as bad as the ones I delt with in central florida. Thanks sunny!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,734,945 times
Hey OP. Why don't you grow a pair and tell those former New Yorkers what it is instead of bitching on a message board.

A lot of Puerto Rican former New Yorkers who moved to Florida used to live in the ghetto areas (not the ones born in NYC, moved when they were 1 or 2, they just pretend, the ones who accually grew up in the ghetto) they moved there for better quality of life and housing. So they just won't change right away and will be a pain in the ass. I am PR so i'm telling you the deal. So tell them to calm the **** down.

Last edited by Hustla718; 05-11-2007 at 04:44 PM..

Old 05-11-2007, 04:29 PM

672 posts, read 565,943 times
It is very bad for the young in today's world. It is not at all like when my generation was just starting out. It almost seems that you HAVE to be a young professional with a college degree making almost a six figure income, or a SKILLED blue collar tradesperson (plumber, electrician, etc.), to make it in today's world. ANYWHERE. Oh, it isn't just Florida.

I really feel very bad for today's young people. My generation is leaving them a far worse world than what we had when we were young, in more ways than one.

I apologize to our younger generation. We did not want this for you.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:55 PM

565 posts, read 1,814,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
It is very bad for the young in today's world. It is not at all like when my generation was just starting out. It almost seems that you HAVE to be a young professional with a college degree making almost a six figure income, or a SKILLED blue collar tradesperson (plumber, electrician, etc.), to make it in today's world. ANYWHERE. Oh, it isn't just Florida.

I really feel very bad for today's young people. My generation is leaving them a far worse world than what we had when we were young, in more ways than one.

I apologize to our younger generation. We did not want this for you.
Thanks HockeyMom...I couldn't agree with you more. I'm 23 living in Fairfield County, Connecticut and the only way to make it here is if you make six figures or as you said, a skilled blue collar tradesperson. The pressures of living in such a high strung area are so great, and that's why many people move to FL for a more relaxed lifestyle. You Floridians think it's so uptight down there and expensive? Try living up here where tiny ranch homes start at $700k, traffic jams everywhere, taxed to HELL and on top of it, people are snobs.

What you people have described as "NYers" are the people from the Bronx or Brooklyn. They are not New York. They don't represent the NY area. If you want to think average New Yorker, think "Everybody Loves Raymond." Shows how much you get out.

And you people have the guts to say people in NY are scared? The only reason they don't look another person in the eye is because they don't feel like talking. Simple as that. And why don't you say this to them instead of on a board, as the previous poster said? Who's scared now?

Old 05-16-2007, 12:17 PM

311 posts, read 1,223,420 times
Default Miamimanefosho

Miamimanefosho:

Your arguments make no logical sense. From your various posts it seems as though you think that everyone from the New York/New Jersey area are:

1) immoral
2) arrogant know it alls
3) desirous of changing southern culture

There are milliions of people who live here. Do you really think that every one of them fits into your unrealistic stereotype? Yet you look for people from this area, falsely accuse them of being what they are not, call them names and send sarcastic private messages.

For your information, not everyone is like this. Yes, I am from New Jersey. However, 1) I believe in Biblical moral values 2) realize that I have much to learn and 3) admire southern culture. You are obviously angry at the New York/New Jersey area, but this is no reason for you to lambast people you don't know, assuming they must not be nice people simply because they live there.

By the way, in one of your posts you said something about reading the Bible. I hope you are not going to make claims of being a Christian. If you are not, I definitely understand. If you do, however, then it is a shame. A genuine believer would never insult a brother or sister the way you do and would embrace people of all cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando