U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:42 PM

48 posts, read 234,373 times

Advertisements

St. Cloud is trying to break away from being relying on Kissimmee all the time. Its trying to break into its own it seems like to me. However, its growing a lot as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 12:55 PM

307 posts, read 1,908,343 times
st. cloud is great, i live in seminole county and got married on lake toho in st. cloud. it is a quiet town with the best lake for boating, swimming, and even a beach area.

Last edited by sunrico90; 09-08-2007 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: Soliciting

Old 07-31-2007, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,119 times
Default Don't Recommend St. Cloud, FL

I lived in Seminole County for 22 years and have lived in St. Cloud for about 2 years now. It is a huge culture shock. There are pretty much two ways (unless you take the Turnpike which you have to pay for) to get out of St. Cloud - Hwy 192 or Narcoosse Rd. - both are horrible and both take a long time to get anywhere. Narcoossee Rd. is a two-lane road running through rural Osceola/Orange Counties. Hwy 192 has heavy traffic, which takes you through Kissimmee (ick). You have to travel about 35-60 minutes out of St. Cloud to get anywhere worth going.

There's pretty much nothing in the way of culture, besides "redneck." Publix, Walmart, Tractor Supply, Fat Boys BBQ, and Home Depot are the main attractions here. Schools are horrible and just recently Osceola County schools were rated worst out of all of Central Florida (Osceola, Polk record low FCAT scores: So what do we as residents and parents do now? -- OrlandoSentinel.com).

Unless you're really into "Celebrating Small Town Life" (St. Cloud's motto), I would not recommend moving here. I'm desperately trying to move out of here as soon as I can.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:52 AM

561 posts, read 1,629,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen888 View Post
I lived in Seminole County for 22 years and have lived in St. Cloud for about 2 years now. It is a huge culture shock. There are pretty much two ways (unless you take the Turnpike which you have to pay for) to get out of St. Cloud - Hwy 192 or Narcoosse Rd. - both are horrible and both take a long time to get anywhere. Narcoossee Rd. is a two-lane road running through rural Osceola/Orange Counties. Hwy 192 has heavy traffic, which takes you through Kissimmee (ick). You have to travel about 35-60 minutes out of St. Cloud to get anywhere worth going.

There's pretty much nothing in the way of culture, besides "redneck." Publix, Walmart, Tractor Supply, Fat Boys BBQ, and Home Depot are the main attractions here. Schools are horrible and just recently Osceola County schools were rated worst out of all of Central Florida (Osceola, Polk record low FCAT scores: So what do we as residents and parents do now? -- OrlandoSentinel.com).

Unless you're really into "Celebrating Small Town Life" (St. Cloud's motto), I would not recommend moving here. I'm desperately trying to move out of here as soon as I can.

While Osceola and Polk may have recorded low FCAT Scores County wide, I would definitely not say all schools in each county are bad. I can say right off the bat that some of the best schools in Osceola County are in Saint Cloud. Eastern Saint Cloud to be more precise.

Hickory Tree Elementary
Saint Cloud Middle School
Harmony High School to be more exact. This is, in my opinion the best school zone to be in Saint Cloud. With Narcoossee Community School and Harmony High as second best.

I would venture to guess that Kissimmee, Poinciana, and possibly some west Saint Cloud schools are largely to blame for the low FCAT scores. My guess is the same for Polk County. There are probably more lower test score schools than higher, and this is bringing down the average for the county. A person needs to do there research on where the best school zone to live is. Charter and private schools are also options (and usually better options).

That being said, things are changing in Saint Cloud. Both demographically and traffic wise. What does that mean? I can't say for sure, but all we can do is look at other cities that have gone through similar changes and see how they have turned out to get our best guess.

I myself did not stick around to find out to find out because I have my own private theories on how things will end up.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:43 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,549,380 times
Head on down there and see for yourself!
For school information School Accountability Report
For demographics {DELETED}

Last edited by sunrico90; 09-08-2007 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: reference to own business

Old 08-19-2007, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 12,627 times
St. Cloud would be a nice choice to make if you do choose to move there. Yes, there are Spanish people residing there, but is that a bad thing? Some are there to get away from the over crowded area's of Poinciana and looking for some place more quiet and family oriented.

The homes and apartment sites are really nice and not so congested as other areas such as Kissimmee. You might want to rent for a short while until you decide to purchase a home on a permanet basis. St. Cloud is great in my book. I go there quite often. I have friends and co-workers that have moved there from New York City and love it there because of the peace and quiet there.

There are other nice towns outside of the St. Cloud/ Kissimmee area such as Deland, Mt dora, Volusia ect...

good luck with your choice..be wise and explore abit..

Old 09-09-2007, 10:39 PM

1,146 posts, read 2,945,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen888 View Post

Does anyone know what goes on at Fat Boy BBQ at 9am,I always get a kick when I'm heading down 192 to the Theme Parks in the morning and see the place packed and 95% of the people there are driving either F-150's or Silverado's.Do they serve breakfast??

Old 12-19-2007, 03:02 PM

10 posts, read 41,875 times
I recommend st cloud to anyone. Although the people could be defined a lot of ways, overall they are just nice! And Fat Boys has some of the best sweet tea (and yes, tallest trucks) in the south.

St. Cloud is home and I would not have wanted to grow up anywhere else, especially since some of the most beautiful beaches in the US are an hour to two hours away in any direction. Though not everyone sees it thsi way, I feel like it's a gem in the Orlando-vicinity-rough.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 PM

561 posts, read 1,629,011 times
[

I believe many people in the greater Orlando area feel this way and actually have been leaving over the past few years and continue to do so more and more. The demographic change in numbers is evident of this.

I think we are seeing a cycle of the below in many areas of Orange and Osceola Counties.

White flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by sunrico90; 08-12-2008 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Orphaned from above

Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 AM

23 posts, read 97,251 times
Mod deleted

Sorry to see that you are leaving

Last edited by sunrico90; 08-12-2008 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Orphaned post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando