U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:49 PM

45 posts, read 108,132 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Hubby has a job possibility in Orlando, sorry I don't know which part of Orlando just yet, cuz it will be a new office but.........

Don't know if I should be looking North of Orlando, South, East or West ??? Price range is up to 300K

If I can get some names of cities that are safe, family friendly and have great schools, it will get me started : )

Thank You in advance, sure appreciate it : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 03:22 PM

998 posts, read 1,862,289 times
Okay, I don't actually live there (yet) but always hear great things about Winter Springs, Oviedo and Lake Mary (Seminole County) and Clermont.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2009, 03:22 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,822,429 times
Look into Oviedo (north east sububrb about 20 mins from downtown orlando)

Old 10-15-2009, 05:14 PM

23,995 posts, read 32,322,325 times
You really need to find out where the office will be first--it could make a huge difference in his commute.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:34 PM

Annerk, im with ya on that, but no can do for now. he would be starting the office so being in CA, i just need a good starting point and so far all the responses have helped me tremendously.

Thanks everyone!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 06:37 PM

I am noticing that seminole county seems to be a nice location outside of Orlando, but noticed that schools in Sanford seem to be not as highly rated as Lake Mary.

But you seem to get more bang for your buck in Sanford, must keep looking : P

Old 10-15-2009, 06:57 PM

793 posts, read 1,372,699 times
In no certain order
1) Lake Mary, established, good schools and family life (last year it was picked as the 4th best city out of 10 in the U.S.)
2)Winter Springs, established, good schools and family life.
3)Lake Nona, new, large section zoned as Innovation Way (high tech corridor)
4)Horizon West, mixed new and established area between Windermere and Winter Garden (back side of Disney) Winter Garden Village open air shopping, good schools.
5)Wekiva Springs, established, good schools and family life.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:51 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,830,931 times
The southwest area is really nice- Dr. Phillips and Windermere, specifically. Great schools, nice quiet neighborhoods and it's just a beautifully kept area. Lots of shopping, restaurants, and entertainment (it's nestled between Universal Studios and Disney). Plus it's very safe.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:42 PM

Hmmmm, I will check out those areas brink... Thanks : P

Old 10-18-2009, 08:11 AM

3,428 posts, read 3,713,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camom2 View Post
I am noticing that seminole county seems to be a nice location outside of Orlando, but noticed that schools in Sanford seem to be not as highly rated as Lake Mary.

But you seem to get more bang for your buck in Sanford, must keep looking : P
Be very careful of how the schools are zoned. Seriously you could have someone in the same zip code, less than 1/4 of a miles away going to a different school than your kids.

While I understand that Florida wants to "socially integrate" their public schools (ie they want to avoid letting some schools be labeled as "free lunch school", while another school has less than 2 percent getting free lunch., you may end up paying $$$ for a home in a very good neighborhood but Florida but will forced to send your kids to the public school with over 20-30% of kids getting free lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando