U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 03:18 PM

1,418 posts, read 8,905,402 times

Advertisements

Let's see: Bithlo - trailor parks, junk car yards, crane rentals, road-side stolen stuff for sale. Or,

Avalon Park: Simpsonville stigma, but nice houses, nice yards, nice people, nice parks, little village type businesses....

Hold on a minute and let me take another hit of Methamphetimine so I can "see the beauty" in Bithlo and fully understand this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 08:06 PM

1,571 posts, read 3,467,030 times
They have manufactured homes out in Bithlo, but I didn't see any "trailer parks" or junked cars. At least not what I was looking at. I guess it depends on what you want. If you have no kids or don't really care about schools all that much (remember, I said your kid could go to the best schools and still turn into a highschool dropout), it's not so bad. If you want to live in an area where there are no busybody HOA's to control your life, Bithlo is fine.

It just depends on what you consider "nice people", too. I live in a covenant neighborhood with my parents, and the people here are clean cut, but they live life basicly ratting each other out to the Gestapo. One guy has a few motorcycle parked in his driveway and he's always getting a hard time, they are threatening his house with a lien. We get a hard time because we have cinch bug that have killed the grass in places, plus we don't illegally water the lawn like the neighbors do and surprise, Florida is in a drought. Living with those kinds of restrictions and snooping is not worth it. I'd rather see a few boats parked in the front yard, or even an old dirty car or two. We have crime in this neighborhood, even with all the restrictions. Occasionally tires get slashed, cars get busted up, things like that. It is everywhere in the area.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 8,905,402 times
Yep, there are pleanty of trailors in and around Bithlo. If you haven't seen them, you haven't been there, other than maybe just passing through at 60mph on HW 50.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:58 PM

53 posts, read 240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Let's see: Bithlo - trailor parks, junk car yards, crane rentals, road-side stolen stuff for sale. Or,

Avalon Park: Simpsonville stigma, but nice houses, nice yards, nice people, nice parks, little village type businesses....

Hold on a minute and let me take another hit of Methamphetimine so I can "see the beauty" in Bithlo and fully understand this.
Bwahahahaha...great post.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:10 PM

15 posts, read 39,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I wouldn't live in Avalon Park simply because it is poorly integrated with the rest of Orange county and it is farther from good employment than some other, cheaepr areas. It's surrounded on one side by a gated community, and its main connection to Orlando is at one point- a highway. It looks like a New Urbanist developement but so far there is very little "New Urbanist" about it, other than it has some condos near a small downtown and the houses are layed out on a truncated grid of sorts with small lots. The highway connection really defeats the new urbanist concept because it isn't a brownfield developement like Baldwin Park was.

Due to the housing market slump, developement there has slowed. There are people living there, some, but my guess is it will never turn into a "live/work/play" community like Celebration. Baldwin Park even is struggling, especially as most of the people who work there, cannot afford to live there as well, even in the loft apartments above some of the businesses. So the business are struggling because there is no native traffic, no native jobseekers, and no outside traffic (why go there when you can go to Winter Park Town Center?). That may change in the future if housing prices fall or wages are forced to rise.

I'd rather live in Bithlo, if I were going to live that far out.

Have you BEEN to Avalon Pak, what makes you think they have stopped developing..as we speak they are putting up banks and retail and more resturants..and if you would rather live in BITHLO then avalon Park you are the wrong UMM Demographic to be reporting on such things!!!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,381 times
Default Don't knock Bithlo so much...

I recently moved to Bithlo after renting in College Park near Downtown Orlando for 14 years. My reasons for choosing the Bithlo area were -

My employer is now located in Avalon Park, right in the heart of the quasi-downtown look alike area.

I did NOT want to spend over 50% of my take home pay on housing.

I wanted instant equity in my home at closing.

I wanted more than 1/4 acre of land.

I wanted a short commute to work.

I wanted an older home with real character, similar to those in College Park but without the pricetag.

I did not want an H.O.A.

So far the Bithlo community has more than exceeded my expectations, because at first all I had heard was the bad reputation the area has gained over the years. I live in a real home, it was affordable, it never had wheels and was built in 1947. It is convenient to HWY 50, on a wide boulevard with a huge grassy median with great big tall pines on what used to be the major highway, now abandoned. It has become a quiet neighborhood street with enough distance from your neighbors that I never feel encroached upon by anyone. Sure, there are some manufactured homes around, and some of them appear to be substandard. I have seen many new houses being built to replace these older mobile units and I'm sure, with real estate prices being out of reach for many, and prices in Bithlo still affordable, this trend will continue. What the residents of Bithlo may be lacking in curb appeal, they more than make up for in land. There are many beautiful oversized lots that would make a very nice homestead where your neighbors are not all up in your business. My home was so affordable that I have nearly 30% equity in my home after only 16 months.

I have met many of my neighbors from all walks of life. Each one has their own story. Many are 3rd and 4th generation Bithilonians. Everyone I have asked so far owns their home. There are homes on my street built in the 1940's, 50's, 80's and 90's, and 2000's, as well as older and newer manufactured homes and yes, even what I would call trailers (single wides).

I have not been a victim of any crime or harassment, and I get a sense that while some of the neighborhood kids may be a bit rowdy, they have a respect for other resident's private property. No one has ever entered my yard without asking for permission, in fact if the neighbor needs something, she'll send one of her boys over and he will wait patiently at the gate until I come out to let him in. We look out for each other, there is a sense of community, similar to what I experienced in College Park. The residents of Bithlo seem to be realizing the area has the opportunity to gain respect because of all the new development moving in, and I would not hesitate to buy here again in the future.

That said, I have only one small complaint...the salvage yards. They have the opportunity to provide a much needed service, the recycling of unwanted automobiles. I just wish they were more environmentally conscious of this endeavor and not as careless in their disposal techniques.

Last edited by zombie_bot; 02-12-2008 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,315 times
Right now the housing out here is incredibly inexpensive. The area I love. It's got a lot "on site" and Waterford lakes is just a few short minutes away. I never notice the power plant except when I drive in off of Alafaya. After your in the AP, you don't notice it. You don't see it and there is no noise from it. As for the landfill, I didn't even know there was one that close by and I have been here a year. I spend a lot of times outdoors and have never smelled anything bad except the poor Bithlo fires last spring.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 AM

213 posts, read 682,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post

LMAO, that is a great analogy..Bithlo sounds like what alot of people view Fl. as when you drive to some of the smaller towns..never been there but it was funny!!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,119 times
I have lived in AP for 6 years and work at the local school, it truly is a live, work ,play enviroment. I was told the Power Plant only blows out steam and was NOT a health concern , I was told this by our builder. We LOVE it here !! We shop at the local stores, eat at ALL the resturaunts and visit the local PUBS! Its amazing you can always walk home no matter where you live ! And for young children its a dream there is so much to do outside as well as so many play groups!! Even friendly DOG parks! This community is too good to be true and is worth the money we paid to live in a safe neighborhood with ALL the schools in walking distance even a tech school now! My kids dont know any other way and would be shocked to see the real world compared to here! We have Doctors and Dentist office here and truly NEVER have to leave!!! You must buy here you won't regret it!!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:55 PM

3,377 posts, read 5,160,753 times
Avalon Park = Edge of suburbia, after you pass AP, you truly are in the country.
Bithlo = Edge of exurbia/rural, this is the first rural you come to heading east out of the metro and the last rural you leave heading west into the metro.

Take your pick, both are far out but at least one is developed. However, if you going to live that far out, many would feel that you might wanna same some $$ and just buy a house with property and no HOA. Either way you'd have about the same commute into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando