U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:34 PM

4,187 posts, read 9,548,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Avalon Park = Edge of suburbia, after you pass AP, you truly are in the country.
Bithlo = Edge of exurbia/rural, this is the first rural you come to heading east out of the metro and the last rural you leave heading west into the metro.

Take your pick, both are far out but at least one is developed. However, if you going to live that far out, many would feel that you might wanna same some $$ and just buy a house with property and no HOA. Either way you'd have about the same commute into the city.
Well you gotta drive through Bithlo if you wanna get to the country outside of AP. And avalon park has everything you need, there's no reason to commute. That area developed so much because of the jobs that came with UCFs research park, Lockeed Martin, and other places like that which are in the area. And it's actully no further from the center of the metro than Lake Mary, it's just less developed on the east side of the metro compared to the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 10:18 AM

3,377 posts, read 5,153,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Well you gotta drive through Bithlo if you wanna get to the country outside of AP. And avalon park has everything you need, there's no reason to commute. That area developed so much because of the jobs that came with UCFs research park, Lockeed Martin, and other places like that which are in the area. And it's actully no further from the center of the metro than Lake Mary, it's just less developed on the east side of the metro compared to the north.
Well, I'm sure there are parts of AP that are just as far away from DT Orlando as parts of Lake Mary but if you drove straight out of DT Orlando on 408, the first part of AP you would reach is just over 11 miles as the crow flies. Driving straight north out of DT Orlando on I-4, the Lake Mary exit is at least 15 miles. However, I agree with your points about the jobs near AP and I think it's a great area to live. I don't feel that the east side of the metro is less developed, rather that it just doesn't stretch as far as heading north. Anyway you look at it, you have to drive at least 10-15 miles outside of DT Orlando to get to anything substantially rural.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:33 PM

399 posts, read 823,363 times
I just took old paint cans to the Orange County Landfill and was surprised when I came upon the smoke/ steam (?) stacks. By the way; they take the cans for free so don't place in your trash.

I realized these are the same as seen from Avalon Park.

Seems pretty close to me for my comfort level but it was an eduacation going to the dump. It's actually pretty impressive and organized by debris.

It was amazing at the number of semi's, trash haulers and citizens with trailers going to the dump.

Heck in Michigan a landfill was turned into a ski slope with bar and restaurant and was affectionately known as Mt. Trashmore.

As a kid vacationing in Canada we'd go the dump to watch the bears come out at dusk. One night just before dusk all of the rats came climbing up and out the hill. You should have seen everyone run like hell to their cars!

We all left not waiting for bears.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:16 AM

801 posts, read 1,713,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIS07 View Post
I am more concerned of any harmful effects from the Landfill and power plants. I know that landfills release gases into the air. Has anybody checked to see if it is safe to live in the vicinity. Coal fired power plants (if this is one)release radiation. Any idea on the distance between the landfill and AP approximately? I want to do my research before I get into this area. I can't just not talk about it like some of the people you mentioned you know of. I have a one year-old and I can't knowingly do something without learning the facts first. Frankly, having just one of the two typically would be cause for concern. AP has both - landfill and power plant right across.

It really may be nothing but I'm just making sure before I make my decision.
I drive through there all the time, the new road that leads to the 528 along the landfills. I smell the gas, though said not to be harmful, yeah sure, I worry about the bicyclists who ride there for exercise.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:52 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,269,001 times
Simply put, go here
Scorecard Home
and put in your zip code and see what pollutants you will be dealing with (be sure to click on "top polluters in your area" to get the list). I don't know the zip code over there, or I would have looked it up for you I came from zip code 19074, so this is a world of improvement for me!!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,426 times
Default be very concerned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIS07 View Post
I'm considering moving to Avalon Park. Should I be concerned about the proximity of the landfill and the power plant? Current Avalon Park residents - what has your experience been?

Suggestions/Recommendations?
This will answer all your questions... http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Stanton_Energy_Center_(existing (broken link))

Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 AM

399 posts, read 823,363 times
I took paint to dump at the landfill and was surprised when I saw how close it was to Avalon Park.
The towers don't add to it but then we have planes overhead landing at OIA 10 miles away.
Not fond of that either.
Nothings perfect.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,723 times
i live here and its no big deal and you cant smell anything from the land fill plus trash pickup prices are dirt cheap but id recomend stoney brook its been rated the top 5 places to live and i have been here for about 8 years and its heaven oh and the plant is powerd by steam not gas

Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 PM

148 posts, read 236,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codetony View Post
i live here and its no big deal and you cant smell anything from the land fill plus trash pickup prices are dirt cheap but id recomend stoney brook its been rated the top 5 places to live and i have been here for about 8 years and its heaven oh and the plant is powerd by steam not gas
The Stanton Energy Plant is a coal plant and at one point ( maybe it still is), the most polluting coal plant in the nation in terms of coal waste production.

I lived in Avalon Park for awhile and really wanted to believe that the "harmless" steam was indeed just that. The fact is that its never a good idea to build homes and neighborhoods near coal plants. There are some nice people, good families that live there. However, I'm relieved that we left.

http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/...-near-you.html

Coal is Dirty | Every parent should read this - closing coal plants benefits children's brain development

Old 02-05-2017, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiodurante View Post
The Stanton Energy Plant is a coal plant and at one point ( maybe it still is), the most polluting coal plant in the nation in terms of coal waste production.

I lived in Avalon Park for awhile and really wanted to believe that the "harmless" steam was indeed just that. The fact is that its never a good idea to build homes and neighborhoods near coal plants. There are some nice people, good families that live there. However, I'm relieved that we left.

http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/...-near-you.html

Coal is Dirty | Every parent should read this - closing coal plants benefits children's brain development
I also used to live in Avalon Park. It seemed like a perfect community for a young family. And it really was if it were not for the power plant. I started researching the power plant and the possible health effects of living so close to a power plant. We moved not long thereafter.

It is coal burning and does have one unlined pond used to store coal ash. Because this pond is unlined there is risk of toxic metals from the coal ash contaminating ground water. Take for example the area where one of the charter schools is being built (essentially right next to the power plant). A previous environmental assessment found arsenic and other toxic metals in the soil and ground water. These are toxic metals found in coal ash.

While this site will be (or is being) cleaned up, the knowledge that the site was contaminated with toxic metals would be enough for me. This is where children are supposed to play and learn and it is only steps away from the Avalon park community. For me personally, there is too much risk associated to living so close to a power plant, especially when there are so many other communities to choose from.

I recommend doing thorough research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando