U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,970,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
A lot of very old threads have been getting bumped lately

Orlando is a good city to live in. Its not the greatest, but its not the worst

I'll list some cities that IMO are worse to live in then Orlando

Jacksonville
Ocala
Gainesville
Anywhere in the northeast or New England
Anywhere in the midwest, except Chicago
Savannah
Jackson, MS
Anywhere in Alabama
I think it is easier to list the places you would pick over Orlando since I think there are plenty of places that are a worse fit for me.
I would probably move to San Diego or LA over Orlando if I had the opportunity to but it is mainly because I could keep the warmer weather and better climate, but be much closer to my family. I could never move back to the Pacific NW but Cali would be much closer. Otherwise, Florida is a great fit for me and has a lot going for it IMO. I think the grain of salt to this post is that it was started in 2007 when there was a lot of crime and issues that I think have subsided since 2008 to now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM

8,965 posts, read 4,638,419 times
[quote=DavieJ89;13535663]A lot of very old threads have been getting bumped lately

Jacksonville because of crime?
Ocala not enough entertainment?
Gainesville see above
Anywhere in the northeast or New England Probably agree there.
Anywhere in the midwest, except Chicago see above.
Savannah slow your roll! Definitely not! Savannah is awesome!
Jackson, MS never been there
Anywhere in Alabama How would you know? There are nice areas of AL. Why are they bad?

What is your opinion of other cities you didnt mention, like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh? I noticed you didnt mention those as being worse than Orlando.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 AM

4,187 posts, read 9,478,238 times
[quote=ComSense;13550978]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
A lot of very old threads have been getting bumped lately

Jacksonville because of crime?
Ocala not enough entertainment?
Gainesville see above
Anywhere in the northeast or New England Probably agree there.
Anywhere in the midwest, except Chicago see above.
Savannah slow your roll! Definitely not! Savannah is awesome!
Jackson, MS never been there
Anywhere in Alabama How would you know? There are nice areas of AL. Why are they bad?

What is your opinion of other cities you didnt mention, like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh? I noticed you didnt mention those as being worse than Orlando.
Stop taking things so literal dude. He was just listing some cities off the top of his head that he thinks are worse than Orlando to live in. He not saying that its a fact. it all has to do with your personal preference.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,669,245 times
ComSense, I thought of you today...reason being I needed some sandals for our quick trip down to (you guessed it) your area this weekend. Long story short, I work in downtown Raleigh so I drove down Capital Blvd. towards a Target a few miles out. Needing some new nail polish (you can't wear sandals without nail polish )... Okay, okay...I'm getting to my story...

At any rate, I saw some beauty supply place on my way out of Target in an area known as Mini City in Raleigh. Not your best part of town...not the worst but I wouldn't live there, but I digress. Went into Beauty World and I'm reading all these signs like "We have the right to refuse Rude customers"...they had like 20 rules on what you had to do to return an item including "how something wasn't their fault after you've looked at your receipt and left the store with it". I'm thinking...hmmm, tough crowd.

Then I hear (what I guess could be construed as singing) coming from some hoodrat with an ipod checkin' out some kind of display. So unfortunately (or fortunately) you couldn't hear the song, only the guy and every other word was F*@& this and F*@& that and F*@&-afye (whatever that means) and yes he looked pretty unsavory. I guess my point (long and drawn out as it may be) is that I was in Raleigh and sputter(!) and gasp(!) we have imbeciles here too, they aren't all just confined to the Orlando area.

P.S. Mods, I've kept on topic because it's a comparison to Orlando (plus I mentioned we are leaving for Orlando tonight). Sea World and Aquatica...here we come - whoo-hoo!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:39 AM

4,187 posts, read 9,478,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
ComSense, I thought of you today...reason being I needed some sandals for our quick trip down to (you guessed it) your area this weekend. Long story short, I work in downtown Raleigh so I drove down Capital Blvd. towards a Target a few miles out. Needing some new nail polish (you can't wear sandals without nail polish )... Okay, okay...I'm getting to my story...

At any rate, I saw some beauty supply place on my way out of Target in an area known as Mini City in Raleigh. Not your best part of town...not the worst but I wouldn't live there, but I digress. Went into Beauty World and I'm reading all these signs like "We have the right to refuse Rude customers"...they had like 20 rules on what you had to do to return an item including "how something wasn't their fault after you've looked at your receipt and left the store with it". I'm thinking...hmmm, tough crowd.

Then I hear (what I guess could be construed as singing) coming from some hoodrat with an ipod checkin' out some kind of display. So unfortunately (or fortunately) you couldn't hear the song, only the guy and every other word was F*@& this and F*@& that and F*@&-afye (whatever that means) and yes he looked pretty unsavory. I guess my point (long and drawn out as it may be) is that I was in Raleigh and sputter(!) and gasp(!) we have imbeciles here too, they aren't all just confined to the Orlando area.

P.S. Mods, I've kept on topic because it's a comparison to Orlando (plus I mentioned we are leaving for Orlando tonight). Sea World and Aquatica...here we come - whoo-hoo!!!
Have fun in Orlando this weekend. We have been having beautiful weather and there is no end in sight, warm with low humidity .

Perfect weather for the theme parks and other outdoor activities. I'll be at the beach tomorrow, for the 3rd time in the past 2 weeks.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:07 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,669,245 times
Thanks and have fun yourself! I picked Sunday for us to go to Aquatica...hopefully we won't be too chilly running around there since it's not in the 90's yet...

Old 04-01-2010, 12:12 PM

631 posts, read 2,088,775 times
[quote=GLS2010;13551122]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post

Stop taking things so literal dude. He was just listing some cities off the top of his head that he thinks are worse than Orlando to live in. He not saying that its a fact. it all has to do with your personal preference.

Agreed - Opinions do not need to be dissected or proven.

Also, why would he have to list his opinions of other cities just for your sake?

Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM

5,969 posts, read 6,782,508 times
[quote=blueoktober;13552071Also, why would he have to list his opinions of other cities just for your sake?[/quote]

To give people other options when considering a move.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Uhh... DavieJ and I are buds. I was just curious what his opinions are and why. I can guarantee you that he's not taking offense to it, and I bet he'd be more than happy to explain what he stated.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post

You were in the hood in a predominantly black community. Why am I not suprised by your statements? I could go out in my own community and hear the F word being played in car radios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando