Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times

Advertisements

^^^ I was just in Alpharetta last week actually. Awesome place; looks like Lake Mary but with hills. The people seemed happy and friendly. Our friends live there and love it. Congestion was bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Traffic is notoriously bad in Atlanta. From what I've heard, it's some of the worst in the country. Definitely worse than Orlando.
I'll take both Atlanta traffic and Orlando traffic over Los Angeles any day. I was there a month ago and it was congested almost ALL the time

Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ I was just in Alpharetta last week actually. Awesome place; looks like Lake Mary but with hills. The people seemed happy and friendly. Our friends live there and love it. Congestion was bad.
Alpharetta's a good place to get a huge house for the money, but I think "awesome" is far too strong a word to describe it. I lived there for a few years. Sure it has hills, but other than that it's as generic as generic can be...no character, no downtown/historic district, and shopping mall after shopping mall. Then again Lake Mary isn't my idea of heaven either. In Atlanta if we are talking suburbs I much prefer Dunwoody or Roswell.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:40 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by placestogo View Post
Traffic in Atlanta is horrible!!! Even in the suburbs, HORRIBLE! I run my own business and usually can avoid having to drive during rush hour, however I was out and about last week and was stuck in traffic for over an hour to get somewhere 10 miles away, in the suburbs!!! Orlando is much much better in regards to traffic and crime! It's actually a BREATH OF FRESH AIR compared to ATL and surrounding...
Despite the fact that I think people make Atlanta's traffic sound worse than it actually is, I am thankful that Orlando traffic doesn't hold a candle and agree with the above quote. I do however wish our interstates shared 3 important qualities of Atlanta's:

1. HOV Lanes.
2. More Trees and Sound Walls Surrounding the Interstates.
3. More Lanes & Better Interchanges (the 408/I-4 merge is suicidal).

Both Atlanta and Orlando have so much in common. Big tourist destinations, growing television & media producers, and non-gridded streets, which ultimately stacks the cards against such rapidly growing metros.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Despite the fact that I think people make Atlanta's traffic sound worse than it actually is, I am thankful that Orlando traffic doesn't hold a candle and agree with the above quote. I do however wish our interstates shared 3 important qualities of Atlanta's:

1. HOV Lanes.
2. More Trees and Sound Walls Surrounding the Interstates.
3. More Lanes & Better Interchanges (the 408/I-4 merge is suicidal).

Both Atlanta and Orlando have so much in common. Big tourist destinations, growing television & media producers, and non-gridded streets, which ultimately stacks the cards against such rapidly growing metros.
This is so accurate it's almost scary.

And PeteC, I always agree with your truthful opinions and assessments.

The real deal is that yes, traffic SUCKS here. BUT, we do have rapid rail - and if you live and work in the right areas to utilize it, it can work wonders for your quality of life. Not to mention a single-seat ride to the Airport from our equivalent to Downtown, Maitland & Altamonte/Longwood.

The bottom line is that traffic really is bad in both metros, but you guys have it way better than you think you do!

As far as the claim by a one-time poster that it takes them 3 HOURS to get home from work in Atlanta, I'm still not buying it.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Alpharetta's a good place to get a huge house for the money, but I think "awesome" is far too strong a word to describe it. I lived there for a few years. Sure it has hills, but other than that it's as generic as generic can be...no character, no downtown/historic district, and shopping mall after shopping mall. Then again Lake Mary isn't my idea of heaven either. In Atlanta if we are talking suburbs I much prefer Dunwoody or Roswell.

Yeah, Roswell was really cool too. I cant remember what city we were in but one of them had a cool, historic downtown. The people seemed very friendly and the entire area was very new and clean. It reminded me of a nicer and hilly Lake Mary.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:52 PM

We were in downtown ATL and got back to our friends house near Alpharetta in like 45 mins. I wasnt watching the clock, but I believe it took us around 40-45 minutes. It was somewhere around 5pm or 5:30. We stayed at about 70mph pretty consistently the whole way.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This is so accurate it's almost scary.

And PeteC, I always agree with your truthful opinions and assessments.
Aww thanks John, you and Pete are the best.

Quote:
The real deal is that yes, traffic SUCKS here. BUT, we do have rapid rail - and if you live and work in the right areas to utilize it, it can work wonders for your quality of life. Not to mention a single-seat ride to the Airport from our equivalent to Downtown, Maitland & Altamonte/Longwood.
That's what I tell people when they bash MARTA. I would love to be able take a M"O"RTA train (lol) from Altamonte Spings (Sandy Springs minus 2 miles) to Winter Park (Buckhead minus 1 mile), to uptown Orlando (uptown Atlanta) then on to downtown Orlando (downtown Atlanta) and then on to I-Drive and MCO.

Quote:
The bottom line is that traffic really is bad in both metros, but you guys have it way better than you think you do!
True. It's still no walk in the park and in some sense it's easier to drive in Atlanta. Afterall better infastructure will do that plus more congestion=slower speeds which could be considered easier than drag racing down I-4.

Quote:
As far as the claim by a one-time poster that it takes them 3 HOURS to get home from work in Atlanta, I'm still not buying it.
I could easily be in Spartanburg within 3 hours of leaving Atlanta, with the exception of an accident or some other abnormal traffic situation.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:21 PM

18 posts, read 32,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
I know right. People wanna know bad traffic try I-95 Boston/New Hampshire split during rush hour in a blizzard. And try the 10 lane race tracks that Atlanta calls their highways.

Orlando has it good imo. I love Orlando, I hate the criminals, and I also hate the liberals that protect the criminals in the name of humanity.

Hi, what does "imo" mean, I see it on here sometimes and can't stand not knowing what it means.

Thanks

Old 08-27-2010, 06:40 PM

^^^imo = in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando