Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

This type of thing can--and has--happened in many places all over the country. Including NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 07:21 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
This type of thing can--and has--happened in many places all over the country. Including NJ.
Of course. It can happen anywhere. But dont you sometimes get the feeling that FL is in the news a little too much? I saw this on the news today (on the internet) and I thought (before I even knew the location), that this probably happened in FL, and was right. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33831758...ews/?GT1=43001

It's just one of those, "why here?" And "why so often?" type things. You ever do that, read some crazy story and guess where it happened, and be right about it?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree. I think one reason FL is in the news so much is because it's the 4th most populous state in the country, possibly the 3rd. The reason I say "possibly the 3rd" is because a lot of people are only here half of the year. Orlando is also one of the top tourist spots in the country. So add all the snowbirds & tourists and I'm guessing there are a lot more than 18.3 million people in Florida most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Of course. It can happen anywhere. But dont you sometimes get the feeling that FL is in the news a little too much?
OTOH I have to admit that I also get the same feeling when I hear a story on the national news. I hate to say it, but when there's a report about an abducted child, I often wonder if he/she lives in FL because of Jessica Lunsford, Carly Brucia, Trenton Duckett, Caylee Anthony, Somer Thompson, Haleigh Cummings..and the list goes on. (I'm not talking about local news channels.) When I heard on the news "baby found in box under a bed" the first thought was "I bet that happened in Florida." I don't know..maybe it's because I live here, but the numbers are staggering.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Of course. It can happen anywhere. But dont you sometimes get the feeling that FL is in the news a little too much? I saw this on the news today (on the internet) and I thought (before I even knew the location), that this probably happened in FL, and was right. Woman drives into aquarium at airport - Vehicular weirdness- msnbc.com

It's just one of those, "why here?" And "why so often?" type things. You ever do that, read some crazy story and guess where it happened, and be right about it?
I think it's due to an aggressive news media that makes a mountain out of a molehill and tends to ignore news from other areas.

In all honesty, I hear more about cars driving into buildings up in the northeast than anywhere. How about the drunk chick that fell onto the MBTA tracks a couple days ago? Or kid in the stroller in Chicago that ended up jammed in the CTA train door and then on the tracks? How about two police officers in CT in the past year or two that have caused serious accidents with their cruisers--one was just charged with manslaughter.

Want to really shake your head? Read the Napa Valley Register--the entire county has a population of under 150K, even when you add in the agricultural workers who aren't actually residents. There is more crime and politics in that area than in Orlando, and much of it is weird crime.

This week, six diplomatic offices in NYC have received packets of white powder in the mail, postmarked in Texas that contained letters mentioning al-Qaida and the FBI. A pretty big story with potential international fall-out, yet not a single thing about it has made our local news. Epic fail.

It's not that things don't happen elsewhere, it's that we are too provincial in our thinking to be bothered to pay attention to what is going on elsewhere, and our news media seems to think that central Florida IS the center of the earth with the rest of the world fills a space the size of Oakland. They cover irrelevent stories ad nauseum--do we really care about Casey Anthony's parents tatoos and cruise?--and neglect of the goings on in the rest of the world.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
OTOH I have to admit that I also get the same feeling when I hear a story on the national news. I hate to say it, but when there's a report about an abducted child, I often wonder if he/she lives in FL because of Jessica Lunsford, Carly Brucia, Trenton Duckett, Caylee Anthony, Somer Thompson, Haleigh Cummings..and the list goes on. (I'm not talking about local news channels.) When I heard on the news "baby found in box under a bed" the first thought was "I bet that happened in Florida." I don't know..maybe it's because I live here, but the numbers are staggering.
It is because you live here and aren't paying attention to the rest of the world. Monday in Maine a man visciously raped and beat his ex-girlfriend and then kidnapped their two year old daughter and was missing with her for almost 30 hours before being discovered and captured by a guy hunting deer. The little girl (whose name ironically is "Hailey") was found unharmed. Again, we're too provincial to pay attention to news happening anywhere but in our little microcosm.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 AM

[quote=justNancy;11575837]Yes, I agree. I think one reason FL is in the news so much is because it's the 4th most populous state in the country, possibly the 3rd. The reason I say "possibly the 3rd" is because a lot of people are only here half of the year. Orlando is also one of the top tourist spots in the country. So add all the snowbirds & tourists and I'm guessing there are a lot more than 18.3 million people in Florida most of the time.

OTOH I have to admit that I also get the same feeling when I hear a story on the national news. I hate to say it, but when there's a report about an abducted child, I often wonder if he/she lives in FL because of Jessica Lunsford, Carly Brucia, Trenton Duckett, Caylee Anthony, Somer Thompson, Haleigh Cummings..and the list goes on. (I'm not talking about local news channels.) When I heard on the news "baby found in box under a bed" the first thought was "I bet that happened in Florida." I don't know..maybe it's because I live here, but the numbers are staggering.[/quote]

^^^You know what? When I heard the story about the baby found in a box, I thought, "this cant be in FL, not again." I just had a feeling that it DIDNT happen in FL because of all the other cases, I just figured, nah...not this time. But it was in FL. And it was also national news.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:49 AM

[quote=annerk;11576908]I think it's due to an aggressive news media that makes a mountain out of a molehill and tends to ignore news from other areas. I disagree. I think child abductions are very serious and should get national attention. And I know you do too. I dont see anything that is made from molehill into a mountain, and I dont think you do either. Maybe you just phrased what you said the wrong way or didnt really think about what you said before you said it.

In all honesty, I hear more about cars driving into buildings up in the northeast than anywhere. How about the drunk chick that fell onto the MBTA tracks a couple days ago? Or kid in the stroller in Chicago that ended up jammed in the CTA train door and then on the tracks? How about two police officers in CT in the past year or two that have caused serious accidents with their cruisers--one was just charged with manslaughter. I hear you, and I know it happens everywhere, but I've never seen so many cars driving into houses than I have in FL.

Want to really shake your head? Read the Napa Valley Register--the entire county has a population of under 150K, even when you add in the agricultural workers who aren't actually residents. There is more crime and politics in that area than in Orlando, and much of it is weird crime.

This week, six diplomatic offices in NYC have received packets of white powder in the mail, postmarked in Texas that contained letters mentioning al-Qaida and the FBI. A pretty big story with potential international fall-out, yet not a single thing about it has made our local news. Epic fail.

It's not that things don't happen elsewhere, it's that we are too provincial in our thinking to be bothered to pay attention to what is going on elsewhere, and our news media seems to think that central Florida IS the center of the earth with the rest of the world fills a space the size of Oakland. They cover irrelevent stories ad nauseum--do we really care about Casey Anthony's parents tatoos and cruise?--and neglect of the goings on in the rest of the world. I agree about Casey Anthony's parents and all of their coverage about their cruise and their tattoos. I wish the local media would just leave them alone. I dont see how they can take it. I see them getting fed up and moving out of state, although they will always be recognized wherever they go now.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I disagree. I think child abductions are very serious and should get national attention. And I know you do too. I dont see anything that is made from molehill into a mountain, and I dont think you do either. Maybe you just phrased what you said the wrong way or didnt really think about what you said before you said it.
Where on earth did I say child abductions weren't important news? The quote I responded to was about a lady who drove her car into something, not a child abduction. Thirty dead tropical fish make a headline, and yet there's not a single mention of a missing/endangered child in New England. That's my point.

Quote:
I hear you, and I know it happens everywhere, but I've never seen so many cars driving into houses than I have in FL.
And how many news sources from other areas do you follow daily? My guess is zero. If it's not reported in the Orlando news, what are the chances you'll hear about it? I follow the news from Boston, NYC, Philly, Chicago, Portland, San Francisco, Napa, and LA on a daily basis. I prefer to realize that there is life outside of Florida.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Where on earth did I say child abductions weren't important news? The quote I responded to was about a lady who drove her car into something, not a child abduction. Thirty dead tropical fish make a headline, and yet there's not a single mention of a missing/endangered child in New England. That's my point.

And how many news sources from other areas do you follow daily? My guess is zero. If it's not reported in the Orlando news, what are the chances you'll hear about it? I follow the news from Boston, NYC, Philly, Chicago, Portland, San Francisco, Napa, and LA on a daily basis. I prefer to realize that there is life outside of Florida.

I watch the national news and look at national headlines on the net everyday. This incident involving the woman driving into the water tank was on the national news. She had a 6 yr old child in her lap while she was driving, and you know the kid didnt have a seatbelt on.

Like I said, twice, I know you werent talking about abductions and children missing not being a big deal. Of course you think they are. I think you were refering to the woman driving into the fish tank in Tampa as a molehill, when I was talking about stories in general, not just the woman in Tampa. I dont think the woman driving into the fish tank in Tampa is THAT big of a deal, although it also states she had her 6 yr old in her lap at the time. How ignorant. It could have been a far worse story.

But like I said, I know you think abductions and children missing are a huge deal, of course.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:25 AM

WCBS NEWSRADIO 880 - 8 Injured in Nail Salon Crash (http://www.wcbs880.com/8-Injured-in-Nail-Salon-Crash/5668301 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando