U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:22 AM

11 posts, read 31,129 times

Advertisements

The comments really are discouraging and quiet scary. However, what's a person to do that is being relocated by their company? Not move and lose their job? It's a little disheartening when you are having to move to Orlando rather than just wanting to move to Orlando to hear all the negativity.

I know that I will certainly be in shock when I arrive from my little town here in KY with very little crime to the big city of Orlando but I will have to accept the adventure. I'm hoping that as long as I stay in some place like Waterford Lakes all will be fine. Give me some hope please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 06:26 AM

800 posts, read 2,651,157 times
Those that are unhappy by their live choices post negatively. Consider the source.

The Waterford Lakes area is lovely, lots of shopping, the University, the toll roads all make it convenient. When I moved here in 1991, that area was nothing but dirt! It's amazing how much it has grown up! Eastwood, Avalon Park, Stoneybrooke are nice areas too!

Good luck with your move. If you have specific questions, just PM me.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:36 AM

1,683 posts, read 7,218,405 times
dlc1346 - There are still some of us who enjoy living here. If you can take a few hours and read the posts by clicking on the name of the poster and read all posts by this poster. That will give you a perspective on what you're reading. Some people are truly love Florida but are concerned about crime and high cost of living - both of which have risen drastically in SOME parts of Florida recently. However, some are just chronic naysayers. Reading the posts based on the poster will give you some insight into their POV.

Also, I would feel differently if I lived in Parramore or Pine Hills instead of East Orlando (Lake Nona - Waterford Lakes). See, there's even two different East Orlandos! One that is closer into town - take a ruler and mark off a sqaure around the 436 and 408 intersections - and the Lake Nona, Vista Lakes, Waterford Lakes, Avalon Park, Stoneybrook, etc. area that is further out.

I wouldn't want to live in the 1st east Orlando area - but according to many - the 2nd East Orlando is the up and coming area to live in because of Nemours and the High Tech Corridor.

By the way there are many great communities in East Orlando besides the ones mentioned - they are just among the largest.

If you choose a good area, I think you too will love living in Orlando. Of course there will be tradeoffs - no place is perfect. What is a deal breaker for someone else may not be such a big deal for me.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:06 AM

2,227 posts, read 7,164,557 times
just stay out of the bad areas. there's only a few that come to mind anyway. those are parramore, pine hills, and parts of semoran and obt. any others?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 7,495 times
I don't mind the burbs of Orlando. I'm in Apopka in a neighborhood that has just one road leading into a small community so we don't get a lot of traffic coming through. We recently had a neighborhood participated yard sale where people set up in their driveways and front yards with items for sale. It was nice to meet and chat with a lot of the neighbors and everyone had a good time.

I was able to make some extra money selling unwanted stuff that had accumulated over the years.

My daughter(11) even made a new friend her own age. Another girl that recently moved in up around the corner.

I'm communicating with the friends I made during this event, and we're planning other 'get togethers'. People are waving and smiling more with each other around here.

First post.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:21 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,218,405 times
I get a chuckle when posters write that people in Orlando are so unfriendly, they don't know their neighbors, etc. My neighborhood holds a once a month community movie night/cookout by the pool during the summer, a Halloween Parade and Carnival for the kids in October, a Christmas Party where we made baskets of goodies to be passed out to the children at Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital, a spring community garage sale where profits are earmarked for charity, block parties with live music, dancing and pizza and many other things. I know all my neighbor's names, their children and dog's names.

Get involved and be friendly. Use common sense and live in a good part of town. You will be fine.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 PM

13 posts, read 30,373 times
I agree that much of the discussion on the Orlando board is excessively negative. While I don't currently live in the area, my understanding is that the crime and problems of the area not unique when compared to the rest of the country. It's really not that bad.

Also, I found most of the people that live in the area are very helpful and friendly (relatively ot other cities). I really don't know where all this talk of rudeness comes from.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:43 AM

5,969 posts, read 6,773,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck11 View Post
I agree that much of the discussion on the Orlando board is excessively negative. While I don't currently live in the area, my understanding is that the crime and problems of the area not unique when compared to the rest of the country. It's really not that bad.

Also, I found most of the people that live in the area are very helpful and friendly (relatively ot other cities). I really don't know where all this talk of rudeness comes from.
Since you do not live here and most likely only visited tourist destinations offcourse you will not see the problems that locals see.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:29 AM

216 posts, read 687,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
I get a chuckle when posters write that people in Orlando are so unfriendly, they don't know their neighbors, etc. My neighborhood holds a once a month community movie night/cookout by the pool during the summer, a Halloween Parade and Carnival for the kids in October, a Christmas Party where we made baskets of goodies to be passed out to the children at Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital, a spring community garage sale where profits are earmarked for charity, block parties with live music, dancing and pizza and many other things. I know all my neighbor's names, their children and dog's names.

Get involved and be friendly. Use common sense and live in a good part of town. You will be fine.
Pianogal, are there any homes for sale in your neighborhood? That sounds like a great place to live! We're in temporary housing right now and are looking for a house.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 AM

986 posts, read 3,021,857 times
Generally speaking you will find that problems people state are over the top. Eachtown/city has its problems but people seem to be under the misconception that because this is the sunshine state and Mickey Mouse lives here that we are exempt from those troubles. For those people i say get a realty check. We have the same issues every other city /state has. Nowhere is perfect, but by doing your homewirk you can avoid those pockets of crime areas. Winter Garden/Windermere is a great area and not that expensive at all. If you choose to live in the ghetto and can only afford a house which is falling apart and for well less than $100,000, dont be surprised if you are in a crime riddled area, its that price for a reason.

For those of you looking or thinking of relocating down here, i wish you the best of luck and hope you will take the uber negative comments with a pinch of salt, come down and form your own opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando