U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2007, 12:56 PM

56 posts, read 148,791 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of people saying how high these costs are, but not really any figures.

Although I've just seen a post saying they pay $350 a month for a $240k house for tax and insurance. Now, is tax pretty much council tax, as it is here in the U.K? And what is the insurance? House insurance?

That, to me, seems quite cheap!

Working it out, if we bought a house for $150k, then the tax and insurance would be $218 a month, which is not much more than 100. We pay more than that JUST for council tax here.

I'm wondering if people are saying it's expensive compared to other states, rather than the U.K?

Or are there hidden costs?

What would the taxes and insurance be on a $175k house in Florida for eg.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 01:00 PM

56 posts, read 148,791 times
Sorry, posted in the wrong section. Now in Florida, with a bit added. lol

Old 05-16-2007, 10:08 PM

126 posts, read 497,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmumof2 View Post
Not sure you'd get anything for $175k. For a nice single family home in a decent area you're probably looking at $250k upwards.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:13 AM

8 posts, read 19,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmumof2 View Post
I've read a lot of people saying how high these costs are, but not really any figures.

Although I've just seen a post saying they pay $350 a month for a $240k house for tax and insurance. Now, is tax pretty much council tax, as it is here in the U.K? And what is the insurance? House insurance?

That, to me, seems quite cheap!

Working it out, if we bought a house for $150k, then the tax and insurance would be $218 a month, which is not much more than 100. We pay more than that JUST for council tax here.

I'm wondering if people are saying it's expensive compared to other states, rather than the U.K?

Or are there hidden costs?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Are you a permanent resident or citizen. If you are either of these then you of course will benefit from homestead exemption. If not, i.e. you are buying an investment property, property taxes (yes very similar to council tax) are subject to pretty substantial annual increases. for a $500K house 18 months ago the Property Tax was $3000, the following year, $5500 and next year I expect it to be about $8000.

For a $175K house of course it will be much cheaper. As for insurance, it is a nightmare. I jumped from $800 to $2500 this year but for last year and this, the insurance companies insured me for 1 year then canceled my policy. Two different companies and I have not had any claims.

If you want a better idea, look at the web site for the tax appraiser in the county you wish to buy. All of them have web sites with details of everything you might want to know. You can see what the tax rates are and if you want you can even look up the taxable values for the property.

Other costs to be aware of are if you intended to buy where there is a homeowners association. The association fees can be very high and what you get for them varies. I have a friend with a $250K house in a homeowners association and he pays $400 a month in fees. He does get basic cable TV for this but that is only worth about $50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: