Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,945 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am writing in a somewhat desperate situation. We are presently living in NW Ohio and will be relocating to Florida. My husband and I were both laid off in early December. Due to the very depressed economy in this mainly automotive industry supported area, there are very few, if any, job openings. My husband's brother lives in Orlando and works in the film industry. We will temporarily be living with him until we are able to secure jobs in the area. My husband's experience is in banking operations and real estate operations (title/escrow). Would anyone be able to give us some direction/leads in this area? At this point, he has been searching and submitting resumes via jobsearch sites on the internet with no luck. I know if he has the opportunity to meet with someone face-to-face they would hire him in a second. The internet searching does not afford this opportunity. Any suggestions?
I appreciate your help!
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 04:27 PM

986 posts, read 3,537,044 times
Hi there. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if your husband is looking to get work in the title industry the liklihood of this is slim to none. Alot of the smaller companies who are underwritten by larger companies with the economic downturn have gone out of business and the larger companies have layed alot of people off and completely restructured their operations. Im a realtor here in Orlando and have seen this first hand, and my wife is a title agent/Manager of one of the largest offices here in Orlando so i have some insight into this. There are alot of people in the industry chasing zero jobs and i know personally alot of people who have been forced out of the industry just to survive. Looking for a job in any real estate industry is going to be impossible, unless of course you become a realtor in which case you are self employed and you take your chances, but with the amount of realtors here even that really isnt an option in all honesty.

In terms of banking im not sure and wouldnt like to offer you any advice but in terms of the real estate side of title and escrow he wouldnt find anything.

Im sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and gnereally speaking i would say if he has the option of coming down for a visit to meet people face to face it would be better than coming here with no job, just so he can try to maybe find something in banking or anything else, but in terms of title and escrow im sorry to say he wont be successful.

I wish you both the best of luck.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:04 PM

I really appreciate your honesty. We felt this was the situation, but were still hopeful. At this time, we are trying to sell our home so I will be staying here to handle things and my husband will be staying with his brother in Orlando trying to find employment. Is it too optimistic to hope for some face-to-face contacts with employers? In NW Ohio everything is done via the internet. An employer would not accept a resume from a "walk-in". I miss the good old days. I'm afraid employers are missing out on some really good candidates by just looking at that piece of paper.
Thank you again for your input.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:08 PM

986 posts, read 3,537,044 times
In my experience like yours it is allvia the internet, unless hes going for a job in hospitality. In terms of Title/real estate, as i said before, they wont even let him in the door, the have a list as long of their arm or people desperate to get their old jobs back or who they have experience with, besides they dont have any jobs available.

Tell him to check out banks websites directly, he may have better luck than using sites like monster or careerbuilder, or even try craigslist jobs.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 AM

Thank you, again, for your suggestions. We really appreciate them!

Old 02-13-2009, 07:42 AM

5 posts, read 24,694 times
I agree. Good jobs are limited with the exception of commission sales. Even Disney has been laying off a few. There are always companies wanting to add good commission sales people.
Regarding the R.E. related jobs. There are two investor groups in town, if you email me I'll send you the links, so you could post there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando