U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 07:41 AM

633 posts, read 2,713,109 times

Advertisements

I found this interesting too. I agree we have problems with traffic and idiots on the road, but we didn't even make this list.

More than 2,500 drivers who regularly commute in 25 major metropolitan areas were asked to rate road rage and rude driving in telephone surveys between January and March. The survey was conducted by Prince Market Research has a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.

Road Rage Rankings
Residents in the following 25 cities were surveyed and are listed in order from those reporting the most incidents of road rage to the fewest:

1. Miami
2. New York
3. Boston
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington, D.C.
6. Phoenix
7. Chicago
8. Sacramento, Calif.
9. Philadelphia
10. San Francisco
11. Houston
12. Atlanta
13. Detroit
14. Minneapolis-St. Paul
15. Baltimore
16. Tampa, Fla.
17. San Diego
18. Cincinnati
19. Cleveland
20. Denver
21. Dallas-Ft. Worth
22. St. Louis
23. Seattle-Tacoma
24. Pittsburgh
25. Portland, Ore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 07:46 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,003,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisaRania View Post
Thanks for all the great info , Ash!

And for all the people reading up the follow ups, leave it to the nay-sayers to focus on the one Time Share company mentioned and not all the jobs available at the electronics companies like EA Games (I have several students who work there and work hard, but really love it) or all the new Medical Centers that will be providing jobs to our college graduates and bringing other degreed personnel down here.

And there are some great jobs for electrical engineers (my father is one and has been in demand for 15 years) and my mother's construction company is always on the look out for project managers, engineers, and estimators (cuz guess what, we're building a lot of **** around here all the time).
Yes that's it.... Just a nay-sayer. I just won't stop until others dislike Orlando...

Known too many at Lockheed-Martin and that's not a timeshare company btw... Can I ask how much your students are making over at EA Games in Maitland? Or are they interns? I know many have that dream of writing software for John Madden Football and end up being less than enthused about what thier actual job entails (and pays). One industry you should NOT try to pull the wool over my eyes with in Orlando is the IT industry....

Can't speak to construction, though I was under the impression that the field was pretty saturated, but I guess your mom's company offers some proof that it isn't. (That wasn't sarcasm. I know it sounds like it is.. )

Anyway, I'm going to leave you with this... See the part of your statement I bolded??? THAT is symptomatic of what's pissing off a lot of the people that have come to dislike Orlando. "Building a lot of *****, ALL the time."

Old 05-15-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
I found this interesting too. I agree we have problems with traffic and idiots on the road, but we didn't even make this list.

More than 2,500 drivers who regularly commute in 25 major metropolitan areas were asked to rate road rage and rude driving in telephone surveys between January and March. The survey was conducted by Prince Market Research has a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.

Road Rage Rankings
Residents in the following 25 cities were surveyed and are listed in order from those reporting the most incidents of road rage to the fewest:

1. Miami
2. New York
3. Boston
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington, D.C.
6. Phoenix
7. Chicago
8. Sacramento, Calif.
9. Philadelphia
10. San Francisco
11. Houston
12. Atlanta
13. Detroit
14. Minneapolis-St. Paul
15. Baltimore
16. Tampa, Fla.
17. San Diego
18. Cincinnati
19. Cleveland
20. Denver
21. Dallas-Ft. Worth
22. St. Louis
23. Seattle-Tacoma
24. Pittsburgh
25. Portland, Ore.
Look at the part I bolded.

All part of that class, "How to skew a poll: 101"...

Now show me the population ranking of Orlando in that list of cities. Do we even make the list???

Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 AM

17 posts, read 64,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Yes that's it.... Just a nay-sayer. I just won't stop until others dislike Orlando...

Known too many at Lockheed-Martin and that's not a timeshare company btw... Can I ask how much your students are making over at EA Games in Maitland? Or are they interns? I know many have that dream of writing software for John Madden Football and end up being less than enthused about what thier actual job entails (and pays). One industry you should NOT try to pull the wool over my eyes with in Orlando is the IT industry....

Can't speak to construction, though I was under the impression that the field was pretty saturated, but I guess your mom's company offers some proof that it isn't. (That wasn't sarcasm. I know it sounds like it is.. )

Anyway, I'm going to leave you with this... See the part of your statement I bolded??? THAT is symptomatic of what's pissing off a lot of the people that have come to dislike Orlando. "Building a lot of *****, ALL the time."
Hey, thanks for being such a great sport and not takin' anythin' personally!

Well, I never asked what my students are making but I know at least two of them are already full-fledged programmers (who have to work like 12 hours shifts, yuck, I'll have to ask the other ones if they don't mind tellin' me).

And as for construction, hers is mainly commercial, not residential (which are popping up everywhere) and they're constantly refusing work on Targets and BassPro and whatnot (while the other half of the compnay is picking through less choice church and school contracts). And that just may be our biggest sticking point, because I lived up north for a while and I HATE all the old buildings (aka historical whatnot), they're ugly, they look like they're gonna fall over half the time, and I love new stuff going up. Call me an anal retent, but I like that freshly-made look. ^_^

Old 05-15-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisaRania View Post
Hey, thanks for being such a great sport and not takin' anythin' personally!

Well, I never asked what my students are making but I know at least two of them are already full-fledged programmers (who have to work like 12 hours shifts, yuck, I'll have to ask the other ones if they don't mind tellin' me).

And as for construction, hers is mainly commercial, not residential (which are popping up everywhere) and they're constantly refusing work on Targets and BassPro and whatnot (while the other half of the compnay is picking through less choice church and school contracts). And that just may be our biggest sticking point, because I lived up north for a while and I HATE all the old buildings (aka historical whatnot), they're ugly, they look like they're gonna fall over half the time, and I love new stuff going up. Call me an anal retent, but I like that freshly-made look. ^_^
Well, just my experience in the IT field in Orlando jaded me a bit there..

It's so funny with perspectives because I find most old buildings to have a certain rustic charm... Even when you're driving along a country road and find a barn that's half collapsed there's a certain je ne sais quoi about it, no??

Ahh well....Don't worry about asking anyone how much $$ they make. That's tacky as I'm sure you know... Just knew a LOT of people running the IT gammut in Orlando (me being one of them) bouncing around Lockheed, Veritas, Siemens, Convergys, etc......

Can be a very ugly cycle of being underpaid and uninsured.....

Old 05-16-2007, 02:13 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,649,686 times
Does anyone think that these companies come to Central Florida for a reason? Maybe because they know they can pay us less and offer us almost no benefits and we will come flocking to these jobs? Working in a HR position for a Construction company has left me jaded as well. Hundreds of calls a day for a $7 labor job left a bad taste in my mouth about the quality of jobs here in Central Florida.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
Does anyone think that these companies come to Central Florida for a reason? Maybe because they know they can pay us less and offer us almost no benefits and we will come flocking to these jobs? Working in a HR position for a Construction company has left me jaded as well. Hundreds of calls a day for a $7 labor job left a bad taste in my mouth about the quality of jobs here in Central Florida.
It's possible. Markets like the labor market always are slow to catch up to the times I guess. These low wages were tolerable when cost of living was at the level it was as recently as 2002. Everything got WAY more expensive and salaries didn't go up much..

Something's gotta give I think.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:23 PM

88 posts, read 231,685 times
Who is ASH5707? Probably paid by someone to do that job...selling Orlando against the truth tellers. We are the people who are smart enough to read between the lines, ASH and we've probably done it first hand. Who are you a manager who fires people? Buddy Dyer in disguise? Oh no, Chamber of Commerce hit the nail on the head. DING, DING, DING.
"Starwood's" stock has gone way down. They were recently in the LOSERS category from the "last year if you bought column"...by the way.
All the fluff you bring up is just that...for the corporations, the Enron's to protect their assets so they can't be sued type of stuff, for the employer's to help with their taxes NOT FOR THE EMPLOYEES, BOTTOM LINE, ASH. A right-to-work state where they can let you go for no reason. Who does that protect?
We're talking about the day-to-day existence in Orlando for the employee. What we're all basically saying is that it ISN'T WORKING FOR US. There's nobody in CENTRAL FLORIDA LOOKING OUT FOR THE AVERAGE WORKER-that could mean a two-year, four-year or a MASTER'S DEGREE.
Moonbeam

Old 07-19-2007, 11:42 PM

88 posts, read 797,845 times
Default It?

I'd be interested, maybe by PM, on your thoughts. My company is transferring me over there in my role as IT Manager, but would also be interested in your experience in IT in Orlando in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
.. One industry you should NOT try to pull the wool over my eyes with in Orlando is the IT industry....

Old 07-20-2007, 06:43 AM

13 posts, read 31,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash5705 View Post
BTW, much props to East Orlando Sun (eosun.com) for placing the above information in their paper.
Thanks for sharing that info - since my husband accepted a job in Orlando and we are relocating there - it is more sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando