U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:56 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,061,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oresident View Post
Wishful thinking...you're just experiencing transient glee at the hope that the world might turn back the clock 5 or 6 years to cheaper days. Unfortunately, the old adage that what goes up must come down is not true of time itself. Alas, time just keeps going up.
I don't know how you can compare pricing to time. Time doesn't, in my view, go up or down, it just moves on. If prices for something drop, time doesn't move backward! When wal-mart rolls back prices, I don't get any younger.

Your view that more money will move in and keep Orlando growing is a view I hope comes true. I have a vested interest in hoping that happens. However, I don't think it will. Prices will *have* to adjust down to the normal 3-6% per year appreciation for real estate. If not the whole idea of a 3-6% average gain would have ended with the previous FL real estate bubble (early 1900s I think).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 08:27 AM

205 posts, read 779,738 times
I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
I don't know how you can compare pricing to time. Time doesn't, in my view, go up or down, it just moves on. If prices for something drop, time doesn't move backward! When wal-mart rolls back prices, I don't get any younger.

Your view that more money will move in and keep Orlando growing is a view I hope comes true. I have a vested interest in hoping that happens. However, I don't think it will. Prices will *have* to adjust down to the normal 3-6% per year appreciation for real estate. If not the whole idea of a 3-6% average gain would have ended with the previous FL real estate bubble (early 1900s I think).

Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 AM

1,571 posts, read 3,467,422 times
Anybody who thinks suburban sprawl in Orlando can keep growing forever hasn't heard of this thing called peak oil. Already the price of gas is starting to put a clamp on lower-wage workers in Orlando.

Given that so much of Orlando has been built up with suburban sprawl, I would say this area has questionable long term prospects. In the future we will need mass transportation, and suburbs and pod developement doesn't mesh with mass transit very well- the density and walking distances are too great. Housing that is located near ammenities and is relative dense will probably appreciate more, while it is entirely possible that the sprawling suburbs will lose value. It happens in other countries, there is no universal law saying suburbs are automaticly more valuable than urban areas, in fact this is the opposite of what you can see in Europe, where central cities are for the wealthy and middle class, and the poor live in the suburbs and outer city.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:45 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,888,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krwhite333 View Post
I have been selling specifically condos since 1999 from Atlanta to Orlando. After the Y2K techo fallout in Atlanta followed by the aftermath of overbuilding condo supply for the Olympic Games we endured a wavering real estate market. I was ranked in the Wall Street Journal in 2006 as being #31 out of the top 50 agents by transaction side in the United States. I have an educated opinion on market trends.
So wait. You did well in the most volatile boom towns during the biggest RE bubble in US history, and that makes you an expert everyone else should listen to?

I want to hear from the guy who was tops in the bad market during the bad years. Now THAT is a real expert. Not the guy who got lucky and caught the wave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando