Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:23 PM

5 posts, read 34,521 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. I am planning on moving to Clermont in a couple months. i was wondering if anyone can tell me about the area? How is the crime rate there? Is it a city or a town? Also I've read on several post that jobs, taxes, and people there are horrible. Is it true or is that on different places of Florida? I've lived at NY and now currently living at MA. If there is anyone from the area that can tell me how much different there is from the state im from would be greatly appriciated. Well im open to all opinion so please and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 11:34 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,641 times
Clermont is nice. It used to be a small town, out in the middle of thousands of orange groves. But in the last 5-6 years its grown 500%. There is a lot of development off Highways 50 and 27 (main roads in Clermont). A lot of cookie-cutter mega-subdivisions.

The crime isn't that bad, yet. If you have a young family, its a decent place. Better than many towns closer to Orlando.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,526 times
May I ask where you heard the people are horrible? I know lots of people and I don't think any of them are 'horrible'. And I know I'M NOT HORRIBLE! Neither are my neighbors, nor the people I go to church with. I'm not saying there are not different personalilties, races, religions, lifestyles.

Maybe the person who said that had a bad encounter with one other person - or perhaps the complainer wasn't exactly everyone's favorite neighbor.

Anyway, relatively speaking, Clermont is still small town. But we're the largest in Lake County now following the growth spurt over the past 5 years or so. The development has slowed now. Lots of snowbirds from October - April. We've gotten some decent restaurants and businesses in here now and that part is continuing to grow. We have satellite colleges (Univ. of Central FL and Lake Community College). Most of the schools are rated as A's, although some are less, and some are still overcrowded.

Lots of lakes around here -- you might want to consider a boat. But don't expect blue water as it has lots of tannin and looks more like iced tea. It's clean but will stain your new white swimsuit!

Jobs are not that plentiful, depending on what type you want. We're close enough to Orlando for daily commutes - which causes some traffic congestion. Ok, lots of congestion on hwy. 50 east to the turnpike, or into Winter Garden.

Taxes? I don't understand how our taxes could be any worse than others in Lake County. Maybe you could further explain what high taxes means. I cannot imagine that living here is more expensive than NY or MA. The whole state is in an uproar over property taxes and insurance right now, but hopefully there is a bit of a break coming soon. However, even on our worst days, I doubt our property taxes are more than NY's. I'm not familiar with that data in NY or MA.

Have you visited here for any length of time? I would strongly suggest at least visiting before moving ANYWHERE! Best Wishes.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 31,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNSlackerEzT View Post
Hi everybody. I am planning on moving to Clermont in a couple months. i was wondering if anyone can tell me about the area? How is the crime rate there? Is it a city or a town? Also I've read on several post that jobs, taxes, and people there are horrible. Is it true or is that on different places of Florida? I've lived at NY and now currently living at MA. If there is anyone from the area that can tell me how much different there is from the state im from would be greatly appriciated. Well im open to all opinion so please and thank you.

Property taxes has definitely taken its toll but I don't think it's anything compared to MA or NY. It's a town and probably has around 13,000 people.

There's not much to do here so people usually go to other cities for entertainment. There isnt a movie theater or mall here and the closest one is about 25 minutes away. There's lots of places to eat. In total, we have two Wal-Marts, Target, K-Mart, Kohls, Bealls, Belk, and a few other stores.

It's a nice town with a lot more growth to come. They are planning to build a movie theater in the next year or so and even mall will be finished in the next 4 years

Old 05-23-2007, 08:17 PM

5 posts, read 34,521 times
Thanks guys for all your opinion. Like I said, I read on other forums that people say this and that but im open minded. I don't take one person word and assume things. This also why I started my own thread so I can get more information from everybody. So far it seems to be going well. Heres another question I hope someone can answer. Since Clermont is a town or rather a small town does everybody know everybody? Also do people mind there own business around there? The reason I ask is because in NY everybody mind there own business, but in MA or rather the town I live in everybody are into everybody business. That is another reason why I want to leave. I left to NY but had some family "issue" to deal with in MA so i came back. But now I am planning on moving somewhere far so no one can just get in the car and come visit me in 4 hours. Well I hope everybody can give me some more information. Also Fl TN NANA I am planning on going to Clermont sometime next month. But i have been doing alot of researches since Jan. But it is pointless to do it so soon. Everything changes with time. I am currently waitering right now so I know alot about restaurant business. Are there alot of restaurant that hires? Also how are the pay there? Again thank you for your time to read this and again i am open to all opinion.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:43 PM

299 posts, read 1,332,952 times
I have found people in general ( in the surrounding Orlando areas) are respectful of your privacy. Some community homes have zero lot lines ( very, very, close together on the sides) & then you have condo owners & apartment renters all close to one another. In those situations I think people go out of there way to give you breathing space. Of course you can get as involved in your community as you want. I understand from friends that Clermont is a friendly place but I wouldn't say it's overdone.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:09 AM

101 posts, read 358,888 times
I think you will like Clermont, people mind their own. Schools are over crowded, no state income tax so taxes are higher. Lake County has a new impact fee on home purchases 17,500.00 this is 10,000 increase to help build more schools.
cmdavis

Old 05-27-2007, 12:28 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,526 times
From my experience, to each their own here! We've lived in the same neighborhood 15 years and I doubt there are any "inner secrets" we know about anyone...and about the same is known about us. Just about everybody is from somewhere else, even if that somewhere else is Orlando. People will wave, help you find your lost dog, or talk to you while outside, but unless you want really close friends, they won't just be coming up and knocking on the door for a visit.

I can't say what the pay is in the restaurants here -- I simply do not know. But it's likely that tips are the higher part of your take home. New restaurants seem to be opening up on almost a weekly basis.

Oh, the current Clermont population is over 22,000 and there are lots more of us outside the city limits. We're not far from Disney and the tourist area of Hwy. 192 for even more restaurants, etc.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:42 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,063 times
We drove through it many times and it is a beautiful town with some rolling hill, a lake center of town and a historic area yet has all new plazas and a huge mall coming in. I'd say it's one of the nicer towns in central FL and quite possibly the state. Half way 'tween east and west coast, north and south. Other than it not being near the ocean (but you've a few lakes about), I'd say it's near perfect. Good job!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:38 PM

28 posts, read 300,734 times
"Clermont" is a very large area (probably covers 20 square miles), we have a Clermont mailing address but are outside the city limits, 10 miles south of town. Clermont goes down to 192 (4Corners Area) but once you get south of Tradds Landing subdiv on 27, most of the homes are short term rentals. Along 50, 27 & 192 there are plenty of chain restaurants and of course, Disney has lots of restaurants too and is pretty close, depending on "where is Clermont you end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando