Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:55 PM

78 posts, read 259,445 times

Advertisements

I think we are starting slowly to recover???
What is everyones opinions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 07:58 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,333 times
When is comes to the economy magical thinking works sometimes...

Old 02-07-2010, 08:40 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissimmee lady View Post
its good too see some optimism out there whn everything seems so negative right now

but imo for the time being this recession pseudo depression is like a turd that wont flush

Old 02-07-2010, 08:41 PM

429 posts, read 1,104,767 times
the people i know that were out of jobs recently got jobs....

Old 02-07-2010, 08:57 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
I see signs of recovery. The areas population is predicted to start growing at a faster pace again within the next year or two. There is a good chance that Jet Blue will move its head quarters here, the medical city will start opening up in the a couple of years, the high tech aerospace and bio tech industries are growing more and more, high speed rail and sun rail are under way, new attractions are coming, new bigger venues are coming, etc. But I'm not psychic so who knows how things will go. Hopefully things will get better like they seem they are.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:14 PM

200 posts, read 538,379 times
Looks like you asked this on 1-25-2010. http://www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...ilization.html

I don't think much has changed since , but it does seem to be slowly getting better.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:31 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
I've noticed not so much a renewed sense of optimism as a loss of the apprehension from a year ago. For example, as I drove around doing last minutes preparations for the Superbowl party yesterday, every parking lot was jam packed and items were flying off the shelves or completely sold out. I don't remember it being that way last year or even the year before. I also seem to recall that holiday spending seemed much more normal this recent holiday than the year prior. So it seems consumer confidence is up but employment remains dreary. I'm sure as spending goes up, the jobs will follow. Regardless of politics I think the major developments in our area are perfect for this economic climate. Not only will we be putting people back to work, but we will be able to save some money on construction cost as prices are down on almost all raw materials. I am optimistic about the recovery. We have, as we always have, weathered this storm and come out of it for the better.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM

7 posts, read 11,222 times
I agree The economy is not getting better. America is broke We are spendong money we don't have.

#1) When even Wal-Mart is closing stores you know things are bad. Wal-Mart announced on Monday that it will close 10 money-losing Sam’s Club stores and will cut 1,500 jobs in order to reduce costs. So if even Wal-Mart has to shut down stores, what chance do other retailers have?

#2) Americans are going broke at a staggering pace. 1.41 million Americans filed for personal bankruptcy in 2009 – a 32 percent increase over 2008.

#3) American workers are working harder than ever and yet making less. After adjusting for inflation, pay for production and non-supervisory workers (80 percent of the private workforce) is 9% lower than it was in 1973. But those Americans who do still have jobs are the fortunate ones.

#4) Unemployment is absolutely exploding all over the United States. Minority groups have been hit particularly hard. For example, unemployment on many U.S. Indian reservations is over 80 percent.

#5) Unfortunately the employment situation is showing no signs of turning around. December was actually the worst month for U.S. unemployment since the so-called ”Great Recession” began.

#6) So just how bad are things when compared to past recessions? During the 2001 recession, the U.S. economy lost 2% of its jobs and it took four years to get them back. This time the U.S. economy has lost more than 5% of its jobs and there is no sign that the bleeding of jobs will stop any time soon.

#7) Can you imagine trying to get your first job in this economic climate? Our young men and women either can’t get work or have given up on work altogether. The percentage of Americans 16 to 24 who have jobs is 13 percent lower than ten years ago.

#8) So where did all the jobs go? Over the past few decades we have allowed the corporate giants to ship mountains of American jobs overseas, and there are signs that this trend is only going to get worse. In fact, Princeton University economist Alan S. Blinder estimates that 22% to 29% of all current U.S. jobs will be offshorable within two decades. So get ready for even more of our jobs to be shipped off to Mexico, China and India.

#9) All of these job losses are leading to defaults on mortgages. Over the past couple of years we have seen the American Dream in reverse. According to a report that was just released, delinquent home loans at government-controlled mortgage finance giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac surged 20 percent from July through September.

#10) But that is nothing compared to what is coming. A massive “second wave” of mortgage defaults is getting ready to hit the U.S. economy starting in 2010. In fact, this “second wave” is so frightening
that even 60 Minutes is reporting on it.

#11) Meanwhile, the Federal Reserve has announced that it made a record profit of $46.1 billion in 2009. Apparently during this economic crisis it is a very good time to be a bankster.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:30 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Or a bartender.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:44 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissimmee lady View Post
I hope your right then I could come home to fl.maybe south dakota has been really good to my family during these hard times.good luck O town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando