U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:24 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,828,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpags View Post
Can somebody tell me if the Sanctuary and Live Oak communities are near the better parts of Oviedo. I hear some parts are nicer then others and I cant figure out where these 2 communities fit in. Thanks in advance.
yes thats one of the nicest newest parts of oviedo. Oviedo isnt big. Nothing is that far from eachother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:14 AM

13 posts, read 16,167 times
Exclamation I am sorry to be the messenger of Death....

My step-dad is the president of the board of realtors of Southern California. My husband and I lived in Princeton, NJ when we got married (for one year), and lived in my hometown of San Diego, CA for 5 years and have now been living in Florida 6 years. We have 4 children. My dad is a homicide investigator, my one uncle is the head sheriff for the city of El Cajon in San Diego, and my other uncle is a plain old sheriff.

When we first moved to Florida, my husband was working in Orlando just blocks from Oviedo, at the Research Triangle basically at Colonial and Alafaya. We rented a home in the "richest" section of Oviedo because coming from California, where we bought a house and then sold it 1 year and 9 months later for $110,000 more than we bought it for, this "richer" area seemed so cheap we couldn't believe it. We lasted 4 months. Not only is Oviedo in the middle of a grid of the worst, accident prone, busy, busy, busy, roads in Orlando, but UCF is right there too and so there are major drunk college student drivers coming to and from their parties. And according to the National Statistics put out by the Federal Crime board each year, Oviedo has 32% more crime than the national average of all cities in the USA. Casselberry is twice as bad. Lake Mary, although there are some really really beautiful nice homes and pockets of nice areas, it is infested with gangs and surrounded by crime. (it only has 11% more crime than the national average)

As for Winter Springs, I honestly don't even know where that is, or any info about it.

We live in Celebration, FL at the southernmost tip of Orlando (and technically on Disney property). It is the town Disney built and owns, and is like living in a Disney park itself. The have a downtown area with tons of restaurants, boutiques, salons, Dr. offices, dentists, Celebration Florida hospital, a post office, AMC movie theatre, fire station, sheriff station (located on the elementary school grounds, town hall, library, Bank of America and Suntrust bank, Radio Disney Radio Station, etc. The downtown is surrounded by 7 villages (North, South, East, and West village, as well as "Lake Evalyn", "Main Village", and "Artisan Park"). The homes are overwhelmingly Victorian with a few exceptions. Each village has its own community pool, playgrounds (one for smaller children and one for larger children) and football, soccer, baseball fields. The 3 schools are Celebration Elementary, Celebration Middle, and Celebration High School.

People either love Celebration more than life itself, or would rather die than live here.

I have to reiterate here, IT IS OWNED BY DISNEY! It is like living in the Truman show and has also been referred to as being a town like "the stepford wives". There is not a piece of trash to be seen anywhere. In December, they put snowblowers on top of all the stores/restauraunts downtown and it "snows" from 5pm to 9pm. They also construct an ice skating rink downtown for December. In October, the snowblowers blow fall leaves of every color so we can see the changing colors of the season without living in another state where it is cold. Every holiday has some huge special event downtown. They bring in fairly big name people for 4th of July, etc. Examples are Hootie and the Blowfish, Reba Mc Entire, and Hannah Montana. They have horse drawn carriage rides through the town on Friday and Saturday evenings.

The drawbacks brought up by the Celebration Hate Groups are this: "It is a tourist attraction". Can't deny that, but they go downtown and aren't in the villages where the homes are. "It is in the middle of a bad area (Kissimmee)". Two things about that. Number one, 80% of Kissimmee consists of timeshares and hotels. 20% either is or isn't bad. "Because of its surroundings, crime is bad" One word that I have to abbreviate. BS. My 3 law enforcement family members, along with the over saturated presence of cops in Celebration all agree. If you are a felon, you don't do ANYTHING in Celebration. Why? There is one way in, which is also the one way out. If you try to break into a house and someone sees you and calls the police, you are toast. Where can you go? Only through the ONE entrance/exit to the town where I guarantee at least 8 cop cars will be waiting for you. "Osceola public schools aren't good". Maybe so, but once again, DISNEY OWNS FLORIDA AND CAN BREAK THE LAW WITH NO REPRECUSSIONS. When the town opened in 1996, only children in Celebration could go to the Celebration schools. Being so under-crowded, Florida said kids had to be bussed in. This lasted 1 year. Don't know what Disney did, how they did it, or how illegal it is, but if you don't live in Celebration, your kids do not go to the Celebration schools. Sad story here. I had a friend who lived here. She got divorced and had to move. She moved 1 and a half miles out of Celebration. 2 of her kids were attending school Celebration Elementary at the time. They were told they could finish out elementary school there. She had a third child going into kindergarten. She had to go before Celebration's town council. They unanimously voted that her third child could not go to Celebration elementary because they didn't live in Celebration. Many of the homes here have apartments over the garages. She had to rent one from a family to get a Celebration address so her kids could continue going to Celebration's schools. Contrary to anything you hear, all 3 Celebration schools are A+ rated. Each student has their own computer on their desk in certain classes that computers would help with. Uniforms are now required. Can't say anything about that. You either like it or you don't, but beats the clothes they have for kids these days. I personally wouldn't want my 10, 7, or 5 year old daughters to go out with the "in style" clothes these days that resemble prostitute attire. "HOA, taxes, and electric are expensive" Our HOA fee is $933 a year. For ALL of the things the town does, that is NOTHING in my opinion. The taxes are the same whether you live in Celebration, or Kissimmee, or wherever. They are what the county says they will be. The electric bills are a bit higher, maybe $50 a month. It is because there is an extensive series of walking paths throughout the town. Everyone walks or bikes or skates to go eat, go to the Dr., see their investment advisor, go to the post office, or the movies. The walking paths are filled with lights. I frequently go walking at 2 or 3 in the morning if I can't sleep and I will see tons of others doing the same. Everything is lit up, and there's never been any incidents or crime involving the walking paths or people on them at ANYTIME. The electricity has to be paid for, and they have progress energy build that into the residents bills. But on the other hand, the phone service is SmartCity. You have probably never heard of them because they are only a phone company that services Celebration and the Disney Parks and, of course, they are owned by Disney. But for $32 a month, you get telephone service with unlimited long distance anywhere in the USA. A little more expensive than Vonage, but the federal government will be shutting them down soon. Cable telephone service is virtually equal in price, but if there is a hurricane, you will have no service. Which brings me to another thing. "Celebration is just too snobby, too perfect looking, too fake" Well, ok, but what happened when the eye of hurricane Charlie hit Kissimmee/Celebration? Thousands upon thousands left the gulf coast to stay at hotels in orlando because they thought the hurricane would hit the gulf coast. It didn't. It hit us, and REALLY hit us hard. Electricity, cable and phones were out in almost 70% of Orlando, NOT JUST KISSIMMEE/CELEBRATION WHERE THE EYE OF THE STORM HIT! Guess who didn't lose ANY electricity, phone, cable, water? CELEBRATION. Why? Because Disney cares about looks and didn't want any telephone poles, electric wires, NOTHING to show. So it was all underground. For four days we housed about 20 people who didn't have electricity to cook, see, take hot showers, and weren't able to see on TV what was going on. Some parts of Orlando lost power for two weeks! And yes, our garbage cans are not allowed to be seen outside in the front. Big deal. They have back alleyways for all the houses and your trash goes there. Its better than having to move your trashcans out to the curb and then pull them back after the trash truck comes. They just sit where they are.

I could rant and rave for hours and hours, but this is all I have to say. I love children. Way too often children are taken, sexually assaulted, murdered, you name it. I wouldn't even think one second about moving to any of the places you mentioned because of the crime and the sex offenders in the hundreds. We have 2, but for flashing, not assault or rape. They would have been run out of town if it had been.

Do yourselves a favor and move somewhere SAFE. Celebration has been in the top 10 safest unincorporated towns in America since its inception. Is it expensive? Oh, yes IT WAS AND WILL BE expensive. But right now, with the economy the way it is, you'd be amazed at what you can get. And you will just be guaranteed a BIG amount of equity when the economy comes back. Right now, the houses have been selling, and the percent sold is going up each month. Everywhere else in Orlando it is going way down. The rentals here are outstanding! Over near Oviedo, at Avalon Park, which tried to be a knock-off Celebration, the rental prices are equal to the ones here. The highest I have seen is $3,500 for a 4,144 square foot house! For a nice 4 bedroom, the average is $1,700-$2,300.

My husband worked in Lake Mary at Motorola when we moved to Celebration. Is it a long way? Yes, but if you take 417 (the toll road), there is NO traffic, but will cost you $8 a day. It would be pure insanity to take 4.

My husband has now been working for NASA for 2 years at Kennedy Space Center. He travels an hour and 20 minutes each way. He still tells me though that he would never even for a second, think of moving away from Celebration.

Celebration not for you? Try Hunter's Creek, Lake Nona, or if you need and want to be near Oviedo, go to Avalon Park. They are have percentages of crime under the 100% normal average in America.

I am sorry if I offended you, I just did TONS of research when we moved to Florida, had my nightmare in Oviedo, but we are all doing great now!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 AM

42 posts, read 75,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpags View Post
Can somebody tell me if the Sanctuary and Live Oak communities are near the better parts of Oviedo. I hear some parts are nicer then others and I cant figure out where these 2 communities fit in. Thanks in advance.
Yes, They are in a very nice upscale area. The best in Oviedo as far as I am concerned.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,302 times
Dear mdpags, When we left the Oveido area in 92 it was a one redlight sleepy little town. We have a large over 2000 sq ft. home in Sunrise subdivision with an oversized 2 car garage and 15' by 30 ' inground screened in pool sitting on a 3/4 acre lot.The schools are very good schools also. Rainbow elementry and I am not sure which high school but the subdivision backs up to Tuskavilla which is a high value subdivision. Our home needs cosmetic repairs but has no structure problems at all. We loved Sunrise . The lots are big. Homeowners association fees low and it is family friendly. Ovedio Center is very close. We are having problems getting a decent offer since the housing market crash. It is hard to do research from a distance so I wish you good luck in your search. I much prefer the area you are loooking in over the Lake Mary or Winter Park area. We lived in both and loved Sunrise. God Bless! N Jane M

Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM

998 posts, read 1,863,753 times
Quote:
My step-dad is the president of the board of realtors of Southern California. My husband and I lived in Princeton, NJ when we got married (for one year), and lived in my hometown of San Diego, CA for 5 years and have now been living in Florida 6 years. We have 4 children. My dad is a homicide investigator, my one uncle is the head sheriff for the city of El Cajon in San Diego, and my other uncle is a plain old sheriff. blah blah blah
No offense, but you may want to tone it down and/or shorten it up (hint - what your parents and step-parents do, wasn't really relevant to info on the Orlando area unless they are in the Orlando area) and once I got to your seventh extremely (extremely) long paragraph, I had to give up.

But from what I read, Disney doesn't own Celebration anymore and Winter Springs, Lake Mary and Oviedo are great places to live according to those on these boards and other places.

P.S. Okay, now I'm really confused. You posted this on January 11th, the same day you posted the above. So are you a Celebration owner or what?

Anyone know of any rent to own or lease purchase homes in Celebration, FL, or Avalon Park, Orlando, FL?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,318 times
Hello, my husband will start a new job next month on Lake Mary. We are relocating from Miami but dont know nothing about the area. We are looking for a home to rent. We have 2 children, a 2yrs old and a 8 months old. Safety is a MUST for us. Im a staying home mom, and will love to be in a family friendly community, we love outdoors. We will love to live close to a good hospital or medical building, supermarket, parks, christian church, dog park.

I will appreciate any feedback. We will visiting next week from 6/16 to 6/18. Thanks is advance.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,318 times
We are looking for a 3/2 house for rent. On the internet I found a few that matched some special criterias (no carpet in living area, accept large dog, not that old construction) We are planning to go to Lake Mary and take a look over the properties. The neighborhoods we are going are Winter Springs, Casselberry, Sanford and Dabery.

I will appreciate your comments on those areas. I would love to live in a "young family" area, as we have babies and would like to connect with young moms. thanks.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:11 AM

8,899 posts, read 14,862,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutya1 View Post
We are looking for a 3/2 house for rent. On the internet I found a few that matched some special criterias (no carpet in living area, accept large dog, not that old construction) We are planning to go to Lake Mary and take a look over the properties. The neighborhoods we are going are Winter Springs, Casselberry, Sanford and Dabery.

I will appreciate your comments on those areas. I would love to live in a "young family" area, as we have babies and would like to connect with young moms. thanks.
I'd stick to Lake Mary, Longwood, Winter Springs, and parts of Sanford west of I4. Debary is Volusia county and wouldn't be bad either. The others are Seminole County where the schools are better.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:18 AM

12,517 posts, read 12,709,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
The best schools are in Oviedo. Followed by Winter Park. last time I checked Lake Mary schools they had a B rating. but they are certainly decent schools. My fav of these areas is Winter Park.
The best schools overall are in Oviedo and Lake Mary. Lake Mary schools are "A" rated and I would question the intent of your misinformation as a reputable real estate agent.

http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/Portals/42...%20Summary.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando