U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:06 PM

57 posts, read 132,366 times

Advertisements

From my research on industry and pay scales, Orlando is much better than Jacksonville. Orlando is much more modern and progressive with ions more opportunity believe it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 12:42 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,165,900 times
algia, have you looked in orlando or just apoopka? orlando has a decent IT/graphic design/website design-type job market.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:30 AM

5 posts, read 14,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Flanders View Post
A wise man once told me "Florida is where you spend your money, not earn it".
Wow you hit the nail right on the head brother.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:24 PM

25 posts, read 72,083 times
You are in luck. My husband has had many jobs in this area. One thing I've noticed is that the best job leads are usually through personal networking or the job fairs. I tend to like the job fairs the best because you can get interviewed and hired on the spot. There is usually a job fair every month in Orlando.

For $11.00 per hour, I'd try Hair Transplant Replacement Surgery - Medical Hair Restoration. They have a call center and they are always hiring. Then there is Sprint. They start off in the mid $30's but the drawback is the process is longer. Amscot is hiring as well and they start off at $11.50 per hour but you have to pass a background check. Then there's Aaron's Rental, Rent-A-Center and Enterprise. They start off in the mid $30's but again there is a bit of a 30 day process. You can also check into Bright House Cable company. I think they start off at $9.00 per hour and they interview every week but there are perks (free cable and cheap benefits). Hewitt and Associates is hiring and they have two different positions that start off in the mid $20's. And if you don't mind driving far, there are the Lake Mary hot spots as well.

If you want to eat, stay away from the theme parks and Wal-Mart. LOL

Old 08-25-2007, 04:52 PM

765 posts, read 2,236,781 times
Good info, Tashlover! There is a job fair this Tuesday (8/28) at the fairgrounds.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 AM

Forgive me if I'm wrong but who can live on $9 per hour anywhere today? That's poverty. Especially in one of the most expensive states to live, Florida. You need at least $20 per hour just to scrape by. Now you know why people are so miserable down here. Job fairs are a total waste of time for most people. All they have are low paying service or entry level crap jobs they cannot fill. Good luck with that.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:36 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,260,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvigor View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong but who can live on $9 per hour anywhere today? That's poverty. Especially in one of the most expensive states to live, Florida. You need at least $20 per hour just to scrape by. Now you know why people are so miserable down here. Job fairs are a total waste of time for most people. All they have are low paying service or entry level crap jobs they cannot fill. Good luck with that.
You're right...you can't live on that wage...no one can unless you have 3-4 roommates.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:10 PM

25 posts, read 72,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvigor View Post
You are right but the only company I listed at $9 per hour was Bright House. Some people don't mind because of the benefits and the perks. Their family benefits over there run less than $100 a month for a family of 5. I checked and most cable companies in Florida, Ga and NC start at $9.00 or $10 for their entry level positions so it's not just limited to Florida.

I wouldn't say job fairs area a waste to time. My husband found many of his best job leads there. Sure there are entry level positions there but all you have to do is not apply to those.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:07 AM

The good jobs that people want are not usually advertised or taken to job fairs. They are usually filled by networking or inside referrals and pretty fast also. It is usually the entry level and high turnover low-paying jobs that have to be constantly advertised. Statistics show that 85% of the job market is hidden and word of mouth. These are the better jobs and jobs you can actually pay the rent or mortgage on. These other entry level or low-paying jobs usually have to give good benefits just to get people in the door. A friend of mine has one and he said half of the company is always out on disability and having surgery. These people only took the job for a short term and for a medical plan. But that's what these companies deserve for paying nothing. Unfortunately Florida is full of low-paying service and tourism jobs. Not the state to be in if you are career minded and want to get ahead.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 PM

1,571 posts, read 3,445,093 times
I spent about 8 months trying to find just a low end job paying maybe 6-7 bucks an hour, no more than 10-12 miles from my home in Oviedo, and finally gave up. I live at home with my folks. I speak Spanish and have some experience with computers. None of the places I applied to wanted to hire me. I applied to about 2 dozen retail or service oriented jobs, went to 3 interviews- no jobs.

I think I'm going to go try and sign up for some kind of government benefits. The damn state of Florida owes me, that's the way I look at it. I pay sales taxes for years, I think I deserve something other than "oh sorry, a college student already filled that entry-level job".

I have no friends in Florida so I cannot network and find jobs that way. And I've lived here for twelve years, I am a former military brat/depedent. I make a little money buying up collections of used vintage razors and junk, polishing them up and reselling them on eBay, but it's not enough to strike out on my own. I want a life of dignity and I'm not getting it. You know when my dad was my age he already had 2 kids and was making 30,000 a year. Very, very depressing. I hate my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando