U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:26 PM

940 posts, read 1,224,483 times

Advertisements

My son who is 18 just got a job at Tire Kingdom down by CVS and Mcdonalds, I could see if they need help there or at another location, if you are interest. He really makes a decent amount of money. Especially with commission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 PM

53,432 posts, read 68,365,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Hello. I've posted here about a dozen times before, so I'm not new... but I do have one question.

Has anybody had trouble finding work in the Orlando area?

I have been looking on-and-off for about ten months. I've used Monster.com and just randomly applied to places. I lived out in Oviedo, at home with my parents and I want to have to travel no more than about 12 miles to get to work. So far I've had two interviews (Office Max and a place in Winter Park that wanted to pay me 6.50 to drive all the way to Jacksonville- no thanks), out of filling out about 40 applications for jobs. I've applied to almost every retail outlet and grocery store in Oviedo and the surrounding area, several coffee shops, I've looked into oil changing garages, but still been unable to even pick up a minimum wage job. In the last couple of months I've just become burnt out from searching and maybe filled out one job application every other week. This is ridiculous... why am I having such a hard time just finding a job? I still need to find work, I don't want to live off my parents forever, but I have little work history because I was in college for so many years before dropping out.

My qualifications are I have a 2 year Assosciate of Arts degree and 100 hours at UCF. I am currently not a college student and I'm available to work any time. I speak Spanish, some Italian, some Russian. I know how to use computers and I can type fast, and I can change oil and sparkplugs on cars or motorcycles, do valve jobs on motorcycles, etc. But I don't seem to have enough of an education to really get a good job around here.
rough area to get work. Everybody else speaks spanish too. aa in art wont get you much but congrad on picking a jr college no student loan there. some college good. arrears on a student loan will automatically make you unemployable. hope you dont have big fat student loan. anyway army has some very big bonuses possibly as large as 40k plus gi bill. if you get trained as a medic this would be a good rout. the best yet is RN.
probably end up in san diego. nursing is a high paid career anywhere. army produces best in world right here in san diego. RN means full officer.
we are talking 80 to 90 k salary almost all expenses paid so its like double that. things to think about.
staying in cruise mode probably wont do it, you will just get older and less welcome in the home and at Office Max.

good luck
stephen s
san diego, ca

Old 09-04-2007, 12:47 PM

765 posts, read 2,249,897 times
I am just wondering what people around here consider good pay.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:00 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,199,006 times
good pay, imo, in central fla, is high 40k's on up.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:47 AM

1,571 posts, read 3,465,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam View Post
Magnulus,
Try to be more open-minded since it's difficult to get a job here in the first place. A 10-12 mile radius on finding a job in Orlando is expecting too much. Everything is at least a 30 minute drive and actually an hour's drive is more usual than not especially when you throw I-4 in the mix. You're young, live it up. Expand yourself. moonbeam
I don't want to spend most of my life behind a wheel in traffic jams. That is not living- as a kid I grew up in the DC metro area and spent hours trying ot go places, and vowed I would never live like that when I grew up. Part of the problem in this area is people taking job 25-30 miles away from where they live. It just clogs up streets when you are trying to do something simple like go to the grocery store. The streets here are horrible, too. I shop within a 7 mile radius or I order off the net. Messing around with traffic is not worth it. Things like the Florida Mall, etc., are ripoffs anyways, I have no need to go down there.

So... I think it is very realistic to look for work locally.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 PM

246 posts, read 874,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I lost my job when my boss moved to New Smyrna, and I was on Maternity leave (what a joke that was) and that was in 2004....now 2007, I have 2 small kids and I can't find a darn administrative job in Apopka that is not telemarketing and that pays more than $7 an hour!

My 2 kids in a daycare would be 1200 a month!!! how am I supposed to do that with $7 an hour!?

I have been applying over and over on monster, career builder, craigs list ?(which is full or crap scams by the way) and yesterday I got a reply, that I am not good for a part time receptionist! when I worked for 8 years in administrative field and on top of that, I also design websites and graphics..............

This really sucks! my husband lost 50% of his income, we are about to start foreclosing and I can't find a damn job to save my house!

I really hate this town!
Have you thought of moving ? If so, pm me about what your husband does for a living as well, I can check around and see what is around here or in the region. Reading everything here, it appears that what you guys are making in florida starting ($8 hour) is less than what they are paying here starting in North Dakota in the bigger cities like Bismarck and Fargo, and our living expenses are significantly less too.

Not saying you need to up and move up here as I know people get the impression we have polar bears up here (funny, as MT is next door and people rave about that, and they are colder ), but there are areas further north in the midwest that have good paying jobs with reasonable pricing in housing.

I love the South, grew up there, and probably could make a good run money wise too, but I like the opportunities I am finding up here, and also the very very low crime rate as well. Its very family oriented.

Magnulus: Unfortunately for you I think what you are looking for is not a reasonable expectation in your area. If the area doesnt' really have the market for you to get the type of commute you want, you may need to change your expectation and maybe try another area. I know the feeling about traffic, after living in CT I won't be doing that again! If you are a big go getter and want to make a nest egg or whatever for the immediate future and willing to work hard, the oil industry is nuts right now and probably will be for a good while too. If I had no kids, etc. I would look into one of these jobs, I have in-laws who are clearing around $60K a year or more. Its real manual work, but they don't seem to mind it as they are driving around in there 50K plus SUVs when the common wage for the towns is around 20K or less.

The military is a great option as well, especially the airforce. They really train you. With the career that my sisters family has made of it (her and her husband are officers) they live in florida and have a great income stream.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 PM

1,571 posts, read 3,465,743 times
Thanks Cain for you advice and concern.

Today I went to the Seminole County career center and I got a smart-alecked Puerto-Rican or Cuban woman mouth off to me just because I asked "why would I want a grant? What does it do for me?". Honestly, don't they only give those to minorities? I'm not a minority, why would anybody give me money? Anyways, they didn't have alot of resources really. It was shameful. I was asking for jobs around Oviedo, Tuscawilla, and Winter Springs and all they were trying to push was Lake Mary. If I try and ride out to Lake Mary, the traffic there is insane and I cannot deal with that daily.

I talked to my dad about your suggestion of the Dakotas and the upper-midwest. He laughed at it and told me that all they make in Fargo is potato chips. I really am starting to feel scared, like he is trying to trap me at home. He told me my problem is all in my head and that wherever I go, I will have this poor, defeatist attitude. This made me really emotional that he would say that- I feel he is smothering me with his demands I see everything sunshine and roses- OR ELSE he won't give me any help. I DO NOT think it is just my attitude. I think Florida has beaten anything good and wholesome out of me and it is making me bitter. I don't have the money to make a fresh start anywhere else, or I'd try. He works in DC and is relatively wealthy (upper-middle class, lower upper class) and has no idea what it is like to look for a job without a masters degree- IN ORLANDO.

Honestly I thought about the military alread.y. When I was a kid there was nothing more I wanted to do than by like my dad. But I am physically disabled with a vision condition that is unlikely they will let me in the military. I see well enough to drive but my vision is not 20/20. Also, as a young adult I developed depression and took anti-depressants. A military recruiter I talked to a decade ago told me that makes me ineligible for military service. Now, I'm glad I'm not in the military. To be honest, I find it very hard to like my country anymore, at least based on my experiences living in high-pressure cities and burbs. It has ass backwards values. People in Muslim countries hate America not for our freedoms- they hate us because we don't believe in anything but money, and have no problems bombing the crap out of other countries that disagree with them, that believe there are more important things in the world than money (why is Paris Hilton famous- because she has money. In Arab and Muslim countries they would call her like she is, a *****). There is nothing taboo in this culture as long as it makes money, no matter how many people you figuratively rape or destroy, it is immoral and really is goddless/groundless, no matter how much people go to church on sundays. You cannot worship God and Mammon, to quote the Bible.

Last edited by Magnulus; 09-06-2007 at 09:54 PM..

Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,199,006 times
"Today I went to the Seminole County career center and I got a smart-alecked Puerto-Rican or Cuban woman mouth off to me"

this is how i picture customer service in orlando. isnt it great???

Old 09-10-2007, 05:45 PM

130 posts, read 508,971 times
Magn

Just a curiousity.. have you tried westgate resorts? I thought I read earlier that they paid well and I know getting to Apopka off the 429 from Winter Garden is a breeze now. (I just moved back to WG a few weeks ago)

My hubby is looking for a job and we have the reverse problem. He watches the kids and daycare will now be about $900 a month for 2 kids. He needs a job that gets him at least 30k, hopefully 45k. He's got an AA in Art/design, working on a bachelors in design so we have to clear at least 2k a month after taxes. I make a lot more then that but since we're carrying a mortage in KY and rent on a house in Winter Garden we need as much money as possible in case we take a huge loss on the house.
Good luck and let's try to help each other.. I am looking for jobs for my hubby and if you want to give me more insight on your needs in a job, I'll try to email you stuff when I find it.

Tracey

Last edited by traysea; 09-10-2007 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: want to address the person I am posting to

Old 09-12-2007, 05:05 PM

765 posts, read 2,249,897 times
Today I was told I need to "dumb down" my resume in order to be able to get a job. I keep being told I am overqualified for most jobs here in my field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando